Author Topic: General KX500 questions  (Read 4099 times)

Marc S

General KX500 questions
« on: March 06, 2007, 06:11:08 AM »
After a 20+ year absense from dirt bike riding I decided to buy a KX500. Although I am not new from driving high horsepower cars and street bikes (I drag race a blown alcohol dragster and a Z1R drag bike). I am questioning if I made a good bike choice for getting back into the sport. I figure it will be a good way to stay in good shape as long as I don't go to crazy at first. My problem is, I am very competitive. My wife thinks It would be safer for me to jump off the 2nd story roof of the house onto the driveway.

I have two questions;

1-The bikes gearing is 14/52, is this to low a gearing for woods and fire service road riding?

2-What basic advise can you give me about this bikes handling and power so I don't get over my head.

Offline demographic

Re: General KX500 questions
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 06:21:49 AM »
Standard gearing on them is 14/47.

As I have 17" tyres on mine and ride it on the road its currently on 16/47 so thats not much help y=to you.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 10:25:54 AM »
Marc,
  14/52 is pretty low but still would be fine for bushriding.  I find with the torque that going super low is not necessary.  I run 14/48 and will to 14/49 next time I need a sprocket. Sometime is can be usefull to get a flywheel weight until you get used to the power.  Handling is extrememly stable, turns well by weighting the pegs.  Tire choice for your local can make a big difference. Cam.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 04:30:38 AM »
After a 20+ year absense from dirt bike riding I decided to buy a KX500. Although I am not new from driving high horsepower cars and street bikes (I drag race a blown alcohol dragster and a Z1R drag bike). I am questioning if I made a good bike choice for getting back into the sport. I figure it will be a good way to stay in good shape as long as I don't go to crazy at first. My problem is, I am very competitive. My wife thinks It would be safer for me to jump off the 2nd story roof of the house onto the driveway.

I have two questions;

1-The bikes gearing is 14/52, is this to low a gearing for woods and fire service road riding?

2-What basic advise can you give me about this bikes handling and power so I don't get over my head.

Sounds like your 500 was geared a bit towards technical woods riding. I am geared 14/49 and it's far more easier to ride in the woods at slower speeds. The larger the tooth count in the rear, the less the top speed, and the greater the "reviness" you will feel with the engine.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 05:13:08 AM »
I run 14/49 and it great for tight trails and hill climbs and still rips down the open roads. I like the 14/49 best for me it allows me to use 2nd and 3rd gear most. 2nd gear for bustin out a turn in the woods and thrid for the faster sections in the woods. I will tend to lug the bike alittle in thrid gear and it seems to work good for me, traction is better. I will be installing a flywheel weight soon just for the stalling issues for 1st gear tight tight trails, but I might like the power spead better after installing it.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline c-152

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 07:02:05 AM »
I agree with the above mine is 14/49.  I run a lot of tight stuff and it works great.  I would also get a flywheel wieght.  I love having it - that makes it lug in the tight stuff
?There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.?
? Ernest Hemingway

"I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming and covered in blood."

openclass

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 09:13:29 AM »
When I was racing, I tend to like higher gearing 14/48, with alot of flywheel weight, and I also replaced the clutch plates with steel (heavyer plates act just like more fly wheel weight). It was like a tractor, going thru the woods never reving real high so as to consever energy, and still go faster than you wanted on the open fire roads.

When I geared it lower 14/50-52, It would wear me out from that brutal hit in the power band.

Marc S

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 04:40:34 PM »
I appreciate the feedback, I purchased a 48 sprocket today. I finished assembling the engine tonight and will install it tommorrow. I think I will leave the 52 on it for the first ride this weekend. The area i am going is very thick with evergreen trees, if it seems to low geared I will put the 48 on it for the next weekend. I will be going on a 50 mile ride in the Olympic Mountains that will be mostly fire service roads and some highway. Most of the other bikes going are either KLR650's or DRZ400S's. A friend of mine believes his modified DRZ400 can take me through 3rd gear (I can't wait for that) Hopefully the dual sport kit I installed performs well.

Anyone know the MPG for the KX5?

Offline c-152

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 08:56:21 PM »
I appreciate the feedback, I purchased a 48 sprocket today. I finished assembling the engine tonight and will install it tommorrow. I think I will leave the 52 on it for the first ride this weekend. The area i am going is very thick with evergreen trees, if it seems to low geared I will put the 48 on it for the next weekend. I will be going on a 50 mile ride in the Olympic Mountains that will be mostly fire service roads and some highway. Most of the other bikes going are either KLR650's or DRZ400S's. A friend of mine believes his modified DRZ400 can take me through 3rd gear (I can't wait for that) Hopefully the dual sport kit I installed performs well.

Now thats just mean - It is about 17 degrees hear in Ohio and I havent recieved my studded tires yet.  (to late for this year)

Have a blast
?There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.?
? Ernest Hemingway

"I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming and covered in blood."

Offline crewfor32

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 10:59:17 PM »
If it's a stock tank, I'd be for packing along some extra fuel! The K5 is a very thirsty bike!!

openclass

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 04:44:03 AM »
I would say with the lower gearing you would get about 40 miles to a tank depending on your riding style and the type of trails your riding (fireroads or tight trails).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 04:46:07 AM by openclass »

Marc S

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 04:59:21 AM »
It has an aftermarket tank, it holds almost 4 gallons.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 12:13:04 AM »

If you find yourself in the woods a lot, absolutely get a flywheel weight! (You might already have one) look under the plastic mag cover. If you see a .250" thick disc like cover over the entire flywheel, you already have one. I absolutely LOVE mine. It turns a KX5 into a beast with almost 4 stroke like traction!!! Your DRZ400 buddy is in for a rude awakeing. I have spanked every single vehicle in a dragrace (key point here is if there is solid traction, if not, a KX500 will loose).
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart