Author Topic: KX500/KX250F Conversion Ride Report (Pics and Video)  (Read 3533 times)

MetalMan1011

KX500/KX250F Conversion Ride Report (Pics and Video)
« on: March 03, 2007, 05:25:24 PM »
Today was about 40 degrees so it was nice to ride with a sweatshirt, and it was sunny for a change.  I headed up to an excavation pit about 5 minutes from my house with some friends for the day.  Nobody wanted to be shoot video so I only got two little clips. 

About the bike.  It runs extremly well, and its scary fast.  But its also easy to ride, the power is really smooth for a two stroke and it has a low first gear so the tight trails are not hard at all.  Its actually easier that on my 250F, its has TONS of tourqe.  And it really pulls hard when you get on the gas, it make my dads 426 seem slow.  As you probably know, it wheelies really easy, even in fourth it will come up if I just roll the throttle on, and with a little clutch it will come up really easy in fifth.  I almost looked like a spode a few times when I popped the front end up coming out of corners by accident while draging one foot.  It handles just like my 250F, but with the power of a 450 and then some.  And the exhaust note is awesome, it sounds like a two stroke but it has a low pitch to it, its the best sounding bike I've ever heard.   On the down side, it vibrates more than any other dirtbike I've ridden, I can't ride very far on a 1.7 gallon gas tank, the N-Style seat cover is almost to grippy, and I can already tell it will go through tires like crazy.  But I think the good outweighs the bad and I am extremely happy.

Anyways, here are a few pictures and two videos, sorry the video quality is not that good with a real cheap camera and on top of that it lost quality when I put it on YouTube.  (OMG, I just noticed my dog is about to take a crap in the last picture)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMIoa38mngk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZjL7icTOoc

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 06:21:41 AM by MetalMan1011 »

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
Re: KX500/KX250F Conversion Ride Report (Pics and Video)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 06:04:59 AM »
Diggin' it... looks great.  KX5 Vibs are for real but some crank work and you can reduce them quite a bit.  I also don't dig the too grippy seat covers either.

I think your dog is trying to give you a message that the bike was taking to much attention away from him and probably others so he was protesting in the most visual way possible ..   :-o

I think your utube links are kapuutt... not working.

Sly

MetalMan1011

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 06:22:37 AM »
The links were working last night, anyways I fixed 'em :mrgreen:

Offline MadKaw

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 02:24:12 PM »
bike is really cool man, lovin it. maybe get the seat cover with the gripper top and smooth sides. the dog was definately a nice touch, just don't let him get to close to the bike, huh?
Deviate from the Norm!
Father!...The sleeper has Awaken!!!

2001 Harley Sportster xlh1200
'73 Suzuki GT550
'75 Suzuki GT550
'74 Kawasaki Z1 900
'79 Yamaha GT80
'93 KX500*******
'84 Yamaha Riva 180z scooter
08 Q-link Pegasus scooter first new rid

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 04:07:01 PM »
Good job on the bike!  Has me looking for a frame now.  Too bad the slimmer frame and feel comes with a small gas tank.  Will an IMS or other larger tank for that frame clear the larger 500 engine?  Would be a nice detail to know as I could expect that fuel range could become an issue for me. GOOD JOB! Cam.

MetalMan1011

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 07:10:07 PM »
No, an IMS tank would not work without modification because the stock tank wouldn't even fit.  I had to cut and plastic weld it together so it would clear the engine.  Although there is a better way to do it, another member of this forum did the same conversion and he just heated up the bottom of the tank and pushed it up a little.  If I have any problems with mine I'll buy a tank off Ebay and do that.  I believe I could get an IMS tank to work with a little modification but I ran out of money. I'll have to get back to you about the fuel range because I haven't taken it for a long ride yet.  If I could get an IMS tank, a set of SM wheels, and a steering stabilizer I would be set.  I already have lights and a plate that I can bolt up real quick for the street :-D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 07:13:12 PM by MetalMan1011 »