Author Topic: status: broken arm, broken parts...fixed arm and new parts!  (Read 3794 times)

ShanMan

Well, I thought I would briefly recap the last two months, so here goes:

Fell off while attempting to miss a very large, rapidly approaching boulder. In said attempt, I pinned my arm under my girth and broke my wrist.  :(

After about four weeks, and many posts read here on PitBull, I started collecting goodies: A Steahly flywheel weight, a Moose reed spacer, FMF Torque Reeds, Cometic top end gasket kit, Moose quick-adjust perch with short lever set, Renthal mx/enduro med. compound grips. etc.

The day I got my cast off I started wrenching on the bike. First it was all the intake related stuff. I took it out to the road to kick it over, and descovered that the base gasket had finally given it up. I had noticed it was easier to start however. The gasket was going to have to be fixed though.

Last weekend, I pulled the top end off (thanks again Rick) and sadly, discovered the piston was trashed as well.

So, with my first ride since the broken arm scheduled for this coming weekend, I rushed out and found a new Wiseco piston kit. I installed the new top end last night, but it was too late to fire it up, so I went home for lunch today to see if the bike would start, and if it did, how it would run.

After about 10 kicks it crackled to life! Man, it was meaner sounding than I remembered. I did not have any gear on other than a helmet and one boot. (yes, I had on regular clothes you smarta$$es  :wink:) I was also on concrete, so I knew the traction could/would be too good. I let it run for a good five minutes so it would gradually warm up and slowly stop smoking. It held an idle immediately, which I figure was a good sign. After five minutes, I kicked it in gear and rode up the street....slowly. I repeated this a few times, only I dropped in second because in first gear it felt like it wanted to point the front wheel at the sky. It started to really smooth out after about 10 passes, although if the seat of my pants in any indicator, the bike is faster than it ever was before. The sound and pitch of the exhaust is sharper and crisper than it ever was as well. Kinda scary to be quite honest.   :shock:

I would be lying if I said I wasn't drooling to get back on the bike in the right setting, and with all my gear on. I would also be lying if I said I wasn't a little apprehensive of the shear power the bike has. I am wondering how long and how easily it will be to get back the "feel" I had before I was sidelined. Maybe my perception of the new speed and responsiveness is due in large part to the fact that I haven't ridden in two months.  :? Who knows...only some seat time will tell right?  :)

Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone here at PitBull for providing great insights while I was wrenching. it made the job easier and more fun to boot. I will report back after the weekend with pics too. Thanks again!  :D

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
status: broken arm, broken parts...fixed arm and new parts!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 08:46:39 AM »
Oh man I remember when I dropped the first topend into mine and to be honest I jumped on that thing just like I had before the work. NOW... let me tell ya something :wink: ... that thing was lots meaner than I remembered :lol:

Amazing how mean they are when they NEED a topend and how absolutely terrifying they are that first ride after they get that topend :lol:

Don't break the other arm :)

woodsy

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 06:18:03 PM »
Good write up Shanman!  There is NOTHING like a fresh K5 - well, women are in there but man, talk about MAINTENANCE!!
Anyway, ENJOY!!
Woodsy

ShanMan

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 03:41:02 AM »
As promised, I am reporting back...no pics though, sorry. Anyway, The only real fly in the ointment was that on Friday night I intended to change the oil. I usually do it after every two riding trips, or twice a month, which ever comes first. Unfortunitely, the d**n plug is stripped in the gearcase, so I couldn't change the oil. I suppose I will have to perform some surgery before my next ride next week. Anyone know any good tricks for getting out a plug bolt that spins but won't come out? I figure I will get the blade of a screwdriver under the head and apply upward pressure to help the threads get some bite. That usually works, but we shall see. Anyway, I digress.

We rode our asses off on Saturday! Seriously, no less than six 1 to 1.5 hour rides, through everything from fast sweeping Jeep trails to 6" wide goat trails. The KX5 ran exceptional too. I have to admit though, even with new reeds, a reed spacer and flywheel weight, the bike will pull your arms out of their sockets! The new piston has made such an improvement in power (that didn't suck before), that I cannot tell what effects the spacer and the flywheel weight were suppose to garnish. The one thing that I did notice is that the bike is easier to start for the most part. Otherwise, the bike is simply a beast!

I wore an EVS wristbrace, and had no problems all weekend. Luckily, I didn't have to test it, because I was riding better than I usually do...not sure why, just had better focus and rode much cleaner lines. It felt great!

The one change I did make that made a huge difference was dropping the front end 10mm. The difference in steering response was great, and the front end still felt very planted in the washes and through the rocky stuff. I don't think the change induced any additional headshake either, although admittedly, there was not too many opportunities to get out of anything higher than mid-fourth gear.

One last thing for now...the added torque of the newly freshened motor combined with a full riding season has taken it's toll on the sprockets. I noticed that both the front and rear (both Renthal) are toast. Any suggestions on replacement stuff? I like the look of the rear Renthal sprocket, but am open to whattever might be the best performer in the long run. I suppose that the sprockets and chain should all be replaced together...it only makes sense that it all works together and wears out together as a system, right?

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 04:34:42 AM »
I use the JT Racing steel sprockets. Face it, on a KX500 the weight savings of the aluminum rear just don't matter :lol:

Rick

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2003, 05:10:04 AM »
Paul, you are the first serious rider who has the same opinion as I do on the rear sprocket being steel vs aluminum.  I have used the JT steel for several years, and routinely get the speach about how the high tech design and special aluminum used in the high dollar sprocket will outlast the cheap steel sprockets.  Hog wash!  With aluminum, I replace sprockets every 3 months (most folks are aware by now that I ride at least 400 miles each month, more in the winter), but the steel will last the entire year.

ShanMan,  have someone order a JT steel sprocket, replace the chain with a new O-ring chain, and your set for a lot of riding before a replacement is needed.  I get well over 7000 miles out of each set.

Rick

Offline beastrider500

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2003, 08:22:14 AM »
If you want high tech and don't mind spending a few bucks check out the Sidewinder stainless steel sprocket. http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/mcstainlessspkt.htm Way Cool :twisted:

On the other hand for best value for the money I agree on the JT sprockets. I got a complete kit ( Front and rear sprocket and O-ring chain) from Motosport Outlet http://www.motosport.com/ for just under $100. They even gave me free shipping even though my total didn't quite make the $100 cut off. Good people to order from too.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'   Homer Simpson