Author Topic: cold starting?  (Read 3425 times)

86icefive

cold starting?
« on: February 19, 2007, 02:34:07 AM »
Hey 500 guys.
Ive been having some issues getting life out of my 86 kx500.  Im doing cold weather riding on the ice.  The only way I can get it going for the first run is getting pulled by a quad.  I just dont have enough leg.  Then after its warm I can get it going with no less than 5 kicks.  But if I let it sit too long I need a pull again.  It seems this is a common issue.  Any othe ice riders out there have any tricks? thanx

Offline alan

• Administrator
Re: cold starting?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 02:59:07 AM »
Welcome!

We have beat the starting problem to death many times and everyone has their own special trick!  I would first try the Search at the top of the page under the KX Riders Logo! 

As for how I start mine, turn on gas, choke on, lean bike over till you see gas running out over flow and the kick it like you really mean it, with no throttle or just a crack!
Also some say a reed spacer helps anyway it did on mine!

Good Luck!

Alan
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 02:08:19 AM by alan »
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline serafin

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 04:33:30 AM »
Hi Everyone
I have never had any starting problems on any of the bikes that I have owned.  My man bike starts consistently when cold choke on throttle off on the 4-5 kick warm 2 kicks.  I feel everyones problem lies in jetting and proper carb float settings and such.  This is my 2 cents on what I do/check on all the bikes I have ever owned new or used.  1. Float height set to factory spec.  2.  Correct pilot jet.  air screw should produce peak rpm within 2 to 2 1/2 turns out from full in if you don't get any rpm change within 2 1/2 turns you need to change the pilot jet.  The bike should idle on its own (i like idle) so I set my idle screw in. 3. Check your timing and set to factory spec.  I have seen timing off on several bikes new and used especially used.  4. Check all the electrical connections for corrosion and good ground.  I hope this helps.

Serafin     

86icefive

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 04:43:55 AM »
Ive done the search and tried all the tricks.  I was wondering if there were a different set of tricks for under 32degrees.  I havent messed with the jetting yet.  So thats probably a good start.  Also I need to get a manual to get the factory timing.  I did notice it doesnt want to idle on its own so thats probably a good indication the jetting is off.
Thanx for your input.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 01:55:58 AM »
Check your float height before you do any jetting. 32 degrees out side i think you would need to play with the pilot jet and the idle mixture screw. That's cold. The cold air is leaning out your current jetting. Air density is higher with cold air.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 02:39:12 AM »
If you get the jetting right it should start no problem.  After all snowmobiles start in the winter at cold temps.  The only difference is that they use a raw fuel primer instead of a choke.  Keep in mind that very cold temps lean out your jetting since there is more o2 per volume of air. You can also try spray starting fluid (ether). I used to use a tent with a heater for extra cold ice races (-20 C). Cam.

86icefive

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 03:28:37 PM »
Im not familier with a "raw fuel primer". Is that like the little squishy button on leaf blowers,  lawn movers,  etc that you push to fill up with fuel?  I tried started fluid.  Whats the best way to check the float height? 
I was looking through the jetting again topic section and I think I read something about a jetting chart.  Does someone have the link to this chart if there is one.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 12:59:05 AM »
KX 500 Rider

SupermotoFan

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 02:25:29 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the jetting chart (which is awesome) refer to Keihin-carbed models--and our old '86s have Mikuni carbs?