Author Topic: 86 Rear brake help...  (Read 4561 times)

SupermotoFan

86 Rear brake help...
« on: February 18, 2007, 06:44:24 PM »
I'm stumped.

When I bought the POS bike, it had no rear axle nut, therefore I didn't notice the problem.

Now that I checked the rear brake out a little, and started to hand-tighten the rear axle, I notice that the brake caliper plate is riding on the rotor--no clearance. (Pic 1)

The only thing I can figure is that the bushing that goes inside the caliper slide that attaches to the swingarm has been reversed. (Pic 2)

I've checked the online parts diagram from Kawasaki.com, and also the Clymer's manual that I have, and everything SEEMS right.  But it's clearly not.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Re: 86 Rear brake help...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 01:49:48 AM »
The bushings/spacers look off. Something is not aligning right. Can you reverse the bushings from the left to the right?

SupermotoFan

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 02:35:32 AM »
The bushings/spacers look off. Something is not aligning right. Can you reverse the bushings from the left to the right?

Nope.  Different diameters (along with widths) for each axle spacer.

I checked this against the Kawasaki.com diagram (they list each spacer by width, and they show which side of the wheel each goes on).

But a good thought nonetheless...

Thanks for the idea, keep 'em coming!

Offline serafin

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 04:36:55 AM »
Am I not seeing the brake pad or am I blind something doesn't look right.  Then again my bike is a 2003.

Serafin 

Offline YUNGGUNNAZ

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 07:43:32 AM »
if the spacer was wider on that side then the wheel and rotor would move away from the plate it seems to me.just my 2 cents.is it the correct holder?

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 09:30:38 AM »
Ok, first the picture I have is of my KLR650.  The chain adjustment is similar to what you have.  It looks to me like you have no spacer in your picture.  Or at the least not wide enough.  Don't know if this helps but it's all I have for you, good luck and please keep us posted in case someone else has this problem.
KX 500 Rider

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 10:19:42 AM »
David, that is what I noticed too. If the spacer is there and sinking into the hub, maybe a bearing collapsed and the spacer isn't seating properly against it? But, there would be like a 1/2inch gap on the other side of the rim.  Any thoughts?

Offline serafin

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 10:40:50 AM »
Could you take the wheel off and give us a few more pictures. 

Serafin

Offline c-152

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 11:54:16 AM »
Just my opinion but it looks like there is a spacer missing between the caliper bracket and the hub - I am going to check my bike out to see
Did I read it right that it was actually missing the rear axle nut?
?There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.?
? Ernest Hemingway

"I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming and covered in blood."

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 04:40:56 AM »
I'm stumped.

When I bought the POS bike, it had no rear axle nut, therefore I didn't notice the problem.

Now that I checked the rear brake out a little, and started to hand-tighten the rear axle, I notice that the brake caliper plate is riding on the rotor--no clearance. (Pic 1)

The only thing I can figure is that the bushing that goes inside the caliper slide that attaches to the swingarm has been reversed. (Pic 2)

I've checked the online parts diagram from Kawasaki.com, and also the Clymer's manual that I have, and everything SEEMS right.  But it's clearly not.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Looking at Kawasaki.com looks like you are missing part number 92027-1944 which is a collar or spacer. Look again at the web-site and look under rear hub.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 04:47:31 AM by hughes »
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 04:46:25 AM »
See the area I marked? That's were the spacer goes.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

SupermotoFan

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 05:35:47 AM »
First off, you guys rock!  I'm so happy that I've found such a good bunch of people / enthusiasts!

Hughes, you were really close--actually the spacer is there, right where it should be / where you marked in red.

I haven't pulled it apart again to inspect the bearing / inner hub spacer area yet, but when I do, I'll post my results / photos.

Thanks again to all!

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 05:48:08 AM »
If that spacer is there then I would agree with gowen about a rear wheel bearing failure. How does the wheel feel when you spin it?? My 87 rear hub had a shoulder for the bearing to rest against once you drive it so it can't go to far into the hub. let us know.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 06:45:28 AM »
I think there should be a pipe like spacer between the bearings inside the hub.  I'm at work, I'll see if I can find an exploded view tonight after work.
KX 500 Rider

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 06:53:40 AM »
You are right there is a pipe like spacer between the two bearings. Need to check for it, the right side bearing could be press to far into the rear hub if that spacer is missing.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 07:25:22 AM by hughes »
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com