Author Topic: Older K5s  (Read 3060 times)

Pro-Pain

Older K5s
« on: February 14, 2007, 12:06:47 PM »
Hey! new to the forum! i been looking around and reading posts on 500s but couldnt find the info i was looking for.

I have been contemplating a 500 for a long time, they arent the prettiest bikes but this isnt a showroom, i have ridden a kx500 once but it was a short ride and didnt give me much of an idea in terms of its maximum potential :) i have ridden KTM 380 and can handle it no problem.  I want even more power :)  i have quads and other bikes for trails, this is going to be just for pure power :)

ive been looking around and see a '88 for sale, says 6 hours on top end and the guy is selling it pretty cheap (says its cosmetically ugly but i dont care i like to restore things)  what i am wondering is if its worth buying - the guy wants 600 obo. i have not seen it yet but he says it runs well and stuff.

Are the front forks a lot worse on the older 80s ones? what about parts avail, i know some of them interchange but should i still try to look for a newer model?  i know that the newer the better because things wear out but would this be reasonable enough for me to put some money into?  i cant afford a late 90's or up model and again this is just going to be a "fun" bike.  my budget is under 1000 and the cheaper the better - i also live in california so the prices here might be a bit higher

so the short version is, should i get this 1988 kx 500 or wait for something newer?

thanks for any relpy :)

Offline MadKaw

Re: Older K5s
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 12:32:34 PM »
thats a pretty good price, if youe budget is 1000, that leaves you 400 to put into it...happy sailing :wink:
Deviate from the Norm!
Father!...The sleeper has Awaken!!!

2001 Harley Sportster xlh1200
'73 Suzuki GT550
'75 Suzuki GT550
'74 Kawasaki Z1 900
'79 Yamaha GT80
'93 KX500*******
'84 Yamaha Riva 180z scooter
08 Q-link Pegasus scooter first new rid

Pro-Pain

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 12:40:11 PM »
thanks for the reply, are 88s harder to work on than newer?

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 12:53:43 PM »
thanks for the reply, are 88s harder to work on than newer?

No, K-Rex hasn't changed much since 88. Mostly cosmetics. Pick it up and as they say... "Enjoy the ride" :)

Pro-Pain

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 12:58:28 PM »
hehe sweet!

what about the fork difference, is it really noticable or is it only shine on the technical stuff?

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 01:55:02 PM »
Hey there, nice to meet ya.  Always cool to hear someone like you so excited about getting a new bike   :lol:   Gives me butterfly's.

My input would be to always get the newest year you can afford that is in moderate shape.  Doesn't mean that it will necessarily be in great shape because even a 2002 KX5 might have been run hard, and I mean hard in the desert of Nevada or California and not be worth a crap. (suspension, all bearings on wheels/swingarm,  frame tweaks,  bad radiators...)

Guess it is up to what type of riding you are going to do with it right away??  Easy desert rides or WOT baja racing??  Running WOT at the dunes??  Cruising powerline roads or running pikes peak??

One thing is for sure... unless it is new or just renovated like new...  stuff will be wore out and broke on the KX5 you get.  I bought a 2000 KX5 from the original owner in his mid 50's last year for $2300 that was set up for desert riding (steahly flywheel weight, FMF Gnarley, V-Force 2 Reeds, Pro-Taper Bars, GPR damper with triple clamp, bark busters, and oversized desert tank) that had very few hours on it but he dumped it over alot.  He couldn't kick start it after he fell over so he bought a KTM 450 electric start and garaged the bike for a year or so.  After I got it home and started tearing it down I found all the damaged items that are inevitably going to be there on these bikes.  But I knew that going in and $$ with time would be needed.  Since I was setting this bike up exclusively for dune riding I would sell all the items above on eBay so I could turn them into the parts and motor work for "Furious".

Don't get discouraged and be sure to stay involved here and the people will help or try to help you resolve the issues that arise.  Most of the weaknesses and strengths have been identified for all ranges of performance and riding styles by the members here.  I am lucky to have had friends and this site to help me get my KX5 running like the bike is was meant to be....  the ultimate dune bike....   :evil:

Sly

Pro-Pain

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 02:53:13 PM »
thanks!  i have been dreaming of a kx500 for a long time and have read a lot of different opinions on different forums and every time i come to the same conclusion, its got insane power and i want it! :)  i will go look at it tomorrow and take it for a run, i really want a KX but doesnt mean i will get this particular one, i would rather wait a little and get something nicer - i have other stuff i can ride to get my fix in ;)

i dont live very close to any good dunes so i only go about once or twice a year.  i will take this on wide open trails, probably wont be doing too much WOT (but ill try!!!)

whether i get this bike or not im definately sticking around because i will get a K5 sooner or later :)

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 05:41:49 AM »
Is your $1000.00 buget just for buying the bike or is it for buying the bike and fixin it up?? If your buget of 1000.00 is for just buying the bike then look around and get the best shape bike for the money. If the buget is for buying and fixin up then take a close look at that 88 for 600.00 bucks, maybe he'll take less when you flash the cash.   :mrgreen:
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Pro-Pain

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 02:43:37 PM »
well i went and looked at it and it was pretty beat up, the engine was fine - said only 6hrs on the rebuild.  I couldnt really ride it cuz the front tire was flat.  I decided to not take it i think i will wait for a mid 90s one - ill keep looking and i will get one do doubt

thaks for all the replys