Author Topic: Do you clutch every gear?  (Read 8373 times)

Offline raredesign

Do you clutch every gear?
« on: February 04, 2007, 07:13:10 AM »
Just wondering if you guys clutch every gear. Since it is a mesh drive, I thought I could get away with it, but then again, look at the YZ400F. That bike burns up the clutch easily.

TT tracks are intense, and if I clutch every gear, I get arm pump bad. So any thoughts?

Offline blackkx

Re: Do you clutch every gear?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 12:51:17 PM »
 arm pump sucks , but i clutch evry gear , some of the guys i ride with dont . i adjusted my clutch lever so it barely has to be pulled to engage it so i just keep one finger on it at all times and that saved me from getting arm pump , that and keeping a semi loose grip on the bars so i dont tense up so quickly . staying relaxed for me is what makes the difference .
98 KX250

Offline Mick

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 01:41:51 PM »
I try to  :-(  But towards the end of the day or after a couple fast laps my attempts get pretty pathetic.  Hasn't caused any problems to date, and it's an '89 model!  If you lengthen the actuating arm it will take some load off your forarm.  Just don't extend it so much you can't disengage the clutch.
1989 KX500
2003 Service Honda CR500AF

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 01:51:51 PM »
 Only use the clutch for first gear, or if I have to slip it for a special situation.  I have never used the clutch for shifting any dirt bike I have ever owned. Cuts down on arm pump, reduces clutch wear and as far as I know causes no problems.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline raredesign

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 03:33:12 PM »
Only use the clutch for first gear, or if I have to slip it for a special situation.  I have never used the clutch for shifting any dirt bike I have ever owned. Cuts down on arm pump, reduces clutch wear and as far as I know causes no problems.

That is what I thought, I just didn't want to grind my box...
And thanks guys for the good tips!

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 12:54:25 AM »
I flipflop I guess.. When racing MX I don't touch the clutch except at the start or when I have to use the rear brake without stalling. Aside from that, it's out.. Even when starting out in the practice.. Never had any transmissions issues to day. My 500 racing never used a clutch except to start out and the clutch would grab instantly without any drag or lag.. Basicly the same as jamming the gear..

Offline blackkx

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 02:41:45 AM »
 I was always under the impretion that the only weakness to a kawi was its transmission and thats why i always use the clutch , but if you guys say it hurts nothing then i just learned a new way to cut down on fatigue even more , I had a 91 kx250 that i had trany problems with another reason i was scared to shift without the clutch .
98 KX250

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 04:07:38 AM »
Those transmission issues came weather the clutch was used or not.. But do so at your own risk. I'm not saying it doesn't hurt the transmission, just saying it never did for me.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 06:02:10 AM »
It's a personal preference.  In 35+ years of dirtbike I have never clutched to shift on any bike I ever rode or raced, street or dirt. Maybe a little bit on street bikes. Really all you need to do to shift is to momentarily unload the pressure on the engagement dogs on the gears. That can be done by clutching, chopping the throttle, or killing the ignition momentarily(drag air-powershifters and speedboats do this).  I chop the throttle momentarily, grab a gear and go. Hope this helps. Cam.

dcollins4328

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 06:32:43 AM »
It's a personal preference.  In 35+ years of dirtbike I have never clutched to shift on any bike I ever rode or raced, street or dirt. Maybe a little bit on street bikes. Really all you need to do to shift is to momentarily unload the pressure on the engagement dogs on the gears. That can be done by clutching, chopping the throttle, or killing the ignition momentarily(drag air-powershifters and speedboats do this).  I chop the throttle momentarily, grab a gear and go. Hope this helps. Cam.
I agree with you guys, there is no need to clutch unless your in special situation, or on a kx 125 trying to keep up with a 500.

Offline c-152

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 06:51:27 AM »
You mean these things have a clutch? - I never use the clutch unless I am stopping or start (and in the obvious situations) in fact thats why I prefer the big 5 because there is none of that needed on a track or the trail like you might have on a 250 or 125.  Come to think of it, I never used a clutch on my 250.  I have never used the clutch to shift on my streetbikes either.  In fact, I occassionly shift my truck without using the clutch (not a suggested practice)
?There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.?
? Ernest Hemingway

"I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming and covered in blood."

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 08:23:21 AM »
My 500 does quite well w/out clutching.  But the '02 two fiddy seems to like clutch use. 
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 11:36:43 AM »
Interesting...  I guarantee that not clutching your bike causes wear and tear to the transmission.  It is impossible for metal parts under load being thrust against each other can do nothing but get worn.  Over time the trans will get sloppy and out of tolerances.  That is why a clutch is there for you.

Of course your clutch will get less wear and tear.  So, would I rather change my clutch or split the cases....  hmmm.

I personally shift everything all the time.. only in emergencies do I not clutch.  Look into aftermarket clutch systems to better tailor to your hand ergonomics or strength.  Maybe a Hydraulic Magura would do the trick.  I have the ASV C5 clutch perch and spring-back lever.  You can get a long or short lever and adjust the distance off the grip without getting the cable/lever sloppy and rattling from the engine vibs.

Arm pump sucks but bending a shift fork or losing 5th gear sucks worse.   :|

Sly

Offline c-152

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 01:19:31 PM »
When done the engagement of the gears will not really cause more damage.  After many years of riding street bikes and dirtbike, I have never had issues with a transmission.  Not to say that I will not had trouble but I never had.  I think it comes down to preference.  I prefer to simply grab the gear, its faster than clutching and doesn't cause grinding, for me it has nothing to do with worry about clutch wear.  As with mainy things riding style can affect the life of your machine.  If you do not jump a motorcycle, you will not have to rebuild your suspension as frequently, If you slow down sooner coming into a corner, or will not have to replace brake pads, If you dont work on race starts you will not need to replace the chain as frequently, If you keep enginge rpms far below redline you will increase engine cycles.  We do not do these things however because we prefer ride hard so I believe everything is a tradeoff between riding for perfomrance and riding for endurance.  I do not doubt that if you had a side by side comparison, the clutched tranny would possible last longer, however I doubt it would be much different. 
?There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.?
? Ernest Hemingway

"I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming and covered in blood."

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 04:20:43 PM »
We do not do these things however because we prefer ride hard so I believe everything is a tradeoff between riding for perfomrance and riding for endurance. I do not doubt that if you had a side by side comparison, the clutched tranny would possible last longer, however I doubt it would be much different.  c-152

Interesting again...  I must ask the masses these questions:

Is chopping/floating the throttle and shifting that much faster in overall performance than pulling in the clutch and shifting?

Do you think that chopping/floating the throttle is easier on the tranny than using the clutch?

Is arm pump and hand fatigue the main reason for not clutching?

Sly