Author Topic: Do you clutch every gear?  (Read 8372 times)

Offline KXcam22

Re: Do you clutch every gear?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 04:52:23 PM »
Sly,
  Interesting questions and a great topic for discussion.  In my opinion, using the clutch is definitely the easiest on your trans but a properly executed power shift is not that much harder on it.  A drag race to the first corner easily proves that a power shift is faster.  I think that is also why drag bikes use those air powered shifters that momentarily kill the ignition during the shift. My skiboat does the same thing-although obviously to make things simple not fast. A properly executed power shift is more than chopping the throttle, it involves chopping to unload the gear dogs and move them away from each other, then shifting exactly while applying the throttle.  Applying the throttle spins the main gear shaft and helps the incomming sliding gear mesh together with the the fixed shaft gear  (similar to the double clutching technique required on an old tractor or bus).   Done correctly it is butter smooth.  I can't answer the arm pump question.  I trained my forearms extensively in my formative MX years and still never get any arm pump. It could make a huge diff I suppose depending on your arm condition.  There is also another technique to powershift using the clutch where you hold the throttle wide open and preload the shifter with your foot and then stab the clutch quickly to make it shift.  The gears are held together by the engine torque until the clutch is stabbed.  Again this is like premix ratios and global warming.  Everyone has their own ideas and thinks(hopes?) they are right.  I've been powershifting gears in the bush on my KX since 92 and it still shifts the same as new. :-D Good topic.  Cam.

ps  watch...now after saying all that I will probably blow a gear my first spring ride.....

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2007, 06:03:33 PM »
Nice post Cam...

Just wondering if you guys clutch every gear. Since it is a mesh drive, I thought I could get away with it  (raredesign)

I think we need to clarify the question a little more:

Clutchless shift up and down ??

Clutchless shift for speed,  for fatigue (edurance),  to control (left hand firmly on grip),  or some other reasons ??

I must admit that I do clutchless shift sometimes when I am up against a fast adversary (like Arigato or 1AllDave) in a race up comp hill or in a straight line,  but my start is usually bad enough to negate any slight speed advantage from the clutchless shifting   :cry:

On another note,  clutched shifting can be as bad or even worse for your trans if done poorly.  Pulling in the clutch and waiting too long to up or down shift without an RPM adjustment is bad. Add a lazy shift engagement in there and you will put the hurt on the trans as well.

Try some different techniques,  get your lever/cable/shift lever adjusted and operating smooth,  work on arm/hand strength,  maybe try some different equipment (clutch brand/spring tensions, hydraulic, longer lever with perch moved inward..)  but mostly just get out there and RIDE!!!  because this is where we are when we are not riding and quite frankly...  this ain't as much fun...  although the company is tolerable   :roll:

Sly
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 06:10:44 PM by FuriouSly »

Offline c-152

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 03:39:07 AM »
For me, I don?t get arm pump so it is just done out of preference and ease of use.  Obviously situations dictate different shifts and it comes down to preferences.  I am with you 100% that the main thing is to get out and ride regardless.  This is one of those ongoing debates that would last forever.  Unfortunately it is 10 below here in Ohio and I have not yet finished studding my tires so no riding for me yet.

P.S. - now that I have bragged about never having trans trouble or arm pump I will probably get arm pump way out in the middle of nowhere and break my tranny thus having to push it back with my aching arms ? (get out bad thought).
?There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.?
? Ernest Hemingway

"I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming and covered in blood."

Offline raredesign

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 06:14:45 AM »
I am not certain what to think. My forearms are definitely strong. I can crack a walnut in my hand so I think my grip is good enough. I am trying to losen up on the grip of the bike though...I do have a tendency to stay rock hard on the handlebars lol. I think it is just cause I am new to riding a kx5, so yea, maybe it has to do with the endurance of my muscles...
any thoughts for endurance exercises?

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 07:34:43 AM »
Last season on my 250 I used the Boyesen Shokout grip.  It seems a little weird to get used to at first, but I love it now and I know I ride a little looser and never have much problem with armpump because of it. 
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

Offline c-152

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2007, 02:13:18 PM »
I lift wieghts about three times a week.  I am a wrestling coach so it is easy for me to find the time to lift with the kids.  I took a broom stick and cut it about 1 1/2 ft long and drilled a hole in the center with a string going through the hole.  I then attached wieghts to it.  I roll it up and unroll it about fifteen times every time I lift.  That has helped a lot.  I also waterski which does wonders to improve grip.
?There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.?
? Ernest Hemingway

"I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming and covered in blood."

Offline raredesign

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2007, 04:40:37 PM »
I lift wieghts about three times a week.  I am a wrestling coach so it is easy for me to find the time to lift with the kids.  I took a broom stick and cut it about 1 1/2 ft long and drilled a hole in the center with a string going through the hole.  I then attached wieghts to it.  I roll it up and unroll it about fifteen times every time I lift.  That has helped a lot.  I also waterski which does wonders to improve grip.

I have actually heard alot of good with that tip...I will have to try it...

steve1965

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 05:04:59 PM »
I was using the clutch all the time when I started riding the K5 and after about 4 hours I was getting very tired. The guy I ride with said he never uses the clutch except to start or stop. I have been doing it that way since then and have found I can ride longer without getting tired. He has not had any trouble yet and I think it is much smother when done correctly. But like everyone has said it tends to be a preference thing for most.

Offline blackkx

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 12:54:25 AM »
 Shifting without the clutch seemed like a good idea but i think i will stick with using it in the woods but the next time i hit the track im gonna try the no clutch idea just to se how much that effects arm pump , seems that i only really get it when on the track .  :| :|
98 KX250

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2007, 03:33:58 AM »
hey guy's, I'm new to this site but have been a mechanic for 16 years. when it comes to clutching or not clutching, it all has to do with gear meshing. if you chop the throttle and shift the gears will either mesh and go right in or they will grind. the same thing can happen when using the clutch. hope this helps :-)