Author Topic: It was bound to happen...  (Read 10319 times)

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
RE: Re: RE: It was bound to happen...
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2005, 12:07:03 PM »
My brand new 04 kx500 was half that price. But I wouldnt mind having a red 500 as a back up unit.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2005, 06:51:34 PM »
Ahhh the red ones are nothing much without the KIPS valve. For me that is the secret to a brilliant allround super offroader. Green is King Long Live Green!!
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Saner

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2005, 05:30:14 AM »
You got it, Tim!

Offline GDubb

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2005, 02:52:25 PM »
Wow?  Where? Its only a crf250. I dont see the big deal. Maybe if it had the 450 it would be wow... but its just a glorified 125 to me. Its kinda like the CR500AF to me... a status symbol.  But the way I see it is what good is a status symbol in a sport where it all depends on HOW you ride, not WHAT you ride.  Just my $.02... got change?
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
It was bound to happen...
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2005, 01:17:13 AM »
The thing is an 80 cc frame, you know a pit bike, real small. With the 250 motor it has a power to weight ratio close to the K5. And yes it's one of those bikes for the guy who has everything (money to burn). It's a bike a Jay Leno type person buys 10 of, so when his friends come over they can tear 'em' up.

Danger
KX 500 Rider

Offline GDubb

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2005, 01:44:05 AM »
I thought thats what the CRF50s were for?  A few friends, a few 50s, a few beers, and a backyard mini-moto track sounds like a great time.  A few beers and a CRF250 in an 80 chasis and some of my friends would be a good recipe for a funeral.  Also, it seems that if they were gonna put a CRF250 engine, in a smaller, cheaper chasis, then they would price it somewhere between the cost of a CR80 and a CRF250. Not a couple grand more than either of the two.  I must admit, I bet that thing would be a blast to rip around on being that it as a pretty peppy new 4stroke.
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Saner

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2005, 12:19:22 AM »
My buddy honed my cylinder last night. Thankfully the damage wasn't so bad that it wasn't necessary to bore.  Now I'm just waiting on my piston, rings and gaskets... Not that I'm in any rush since there's a foot of frozen snow on the ground.  Anyway, thanks for all your help!  Cheers!

Offline Johnniespeed

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2005, 08:01:03 AM »
Did the piston skirt gall ? Did the rings freeze into the piston ?  I reread the threads and the failure results were missing.  I am glad it is very easy to fix. Are you going to use the Kx cast piston or aftermarket forged piston ? What kind of wax is on your snowboard ? LOL
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Saner

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2005, 06:20:49 AM »
Yes, the ring froze to the piston.  I bought a Wiseco piston, and I use Swix Wax.
LOL

Offline Johnniespeed

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2005, 08:49:50 AM »
Swix  HF8 for me this weekend.  High FLouro for "wet" snow. 8 for the current snow temp.  I have used Wiseco for every two stoke rebuild and never ever had a piston problem. I also make sure they are very close in jetting and always overrev the crap out of them. But thats just me. LOL
 2004 KX500 E16

Offline demographic

Re: It was bound to happen...
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2007, 10:03:41 PM »
This was the bike that was on Ebay a while ago, I saved the pics cos I was impressed by it.
As far as I remember its a KX80 with a 550 big bored 500 engine shohorned into it :-o