Author Topic: Front axle bolt holder bolt broken ,how to fix?  (Read 2246 times)

jigggawatt

Front axle bolt holder bolt broken ,how to fix?
« on: January 29, 2007, 10:45:01 AM »
I had one of my front axle pinch bolt snap. Anyone every had to fix one? The bike is a 01 Kx500.

Thanks, Jim

chrisorbics

Re: Front axle bolt holder bolt broken ,how to fix?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 11:01:27 AM »
Hi did you break one of the four studs? If so I am not sure if they are threaded in to the hole or not. Either way if there is any thread left on the broken peice than try and put two nuts on there. Use two open end wrenches to tighten them against eachother. Then use one open end wrench on the inside nut to try and thread the stud out.

You could also try a good pair of vice grips but I would not do that unless you have tried everything else. You could also get a an extraction set. They have those special drill bits that you can use or you can drill into it and use the special extractor peice to thread it out.

If it does not thread out than you are going to have to drill it out and make your own threads. This will probably mean that you will have to make the hole bigger and you will have to put in a larger stud. Then you would have to drill the hole in the axle holder so it will work. If you do a good job on it you might be able to do it without putting a bigger stud in.

You should post a picture so I can see exactly how bad it is. If you do not know how to do this than just send it to my e-mail at chrisorbics@yahoo.com Just make sure you write something in the title of the e-mail about a kx500 or I might think it is junk mail.

Offline kx666

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 12:46:52 PM »
when you drill use left handed drill bits, some times they will catch ad extract the stud without damageing the threads
~steve

Offline apple

• Desertriding.com
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 04:20:16 PM »
I had a broken one on my 2000 KX500. I was lucky enough to get it out with a small pair of vice grips. Mine came out pretty hard, don`t know if the factory put locktite on it or the previous owner did. I used a short bolt
to replace it with. I couldn`t find a stud like the original, went everywhere except the dealer is why.
2000 KX500

jigggawatt

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 12:51:35 AM »
Thanks I'll put some heat to it and try to back it out. I was worried it was pressed in, just took a quick look at it. I couldn't turn it with vice grips. So for once I stop and asked ?'s before I screw it up. I didn't see the stud list in the dealers parts list , so maybe a bolt for me also.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 02:11:52 AM »
I had one of those studs break off on my 87 500, the studs are not listed as a replacment part. I used a bolt same lenght and thread size works great. Mine was threaded into the frok leg.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 03:28:47 AM »
They are threaded in.  Drill and use an easy-out bolt extractor.  Cam.

jigggawatt

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 01:01:53 PM »
A little heat and some vice grips and they came right out THANKS!!

chrisorbics

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 03:11:08 PM »
Hi go on bikebandit.com and go under oem parts to find your stud.

Chris