Author Topic: Hi I need help with my 1986 kawasaki kx500.  (Read 8131 times)

chrisorbics

Re: Hi I need help with my 1986 kawasaki kx500.
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 08:36:37 AM »
Alright I am going to work on the carb again just so I know that it is clean. After that if it runs crapy I will tear it down. Thanks for al the help. Also if anybody has an extra rear wheel please contact me. I really need to find a replacement and can't afford to pay someone to build a new one for me.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 08:51:31 AM »
Are you sure you dont' want your 500.00 back??  :-D

Check e-bay daily and should find something. I got your 500.00 in cash waiting for you.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 08:55:55 AM by hughes »
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

chrisorbics

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 11:47:41 AM »
Hey, If you really want it that bad maybe we can arange a trade.

SupermotoFan

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 03:53:41 AM »
I paid $400 for my '86--I wish I had your problems.

I need a new piston, rod (and therefore crank work), chain, sprockets...

Best of luck to you--I do know it's frustrating to not get your bike to run right.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 04:31:38 AM »
Hey, If you really want it that bad maybe we can arange a trade.

No trade just your cash back  :-D  What state do you live in??
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 04:59:06 AM by hughes »
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

dcollins4328

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2007, 07:11:52 PM »
Hey, don't give up on your bike yet..  I bought a 93' for 500 bucks.  I have EXACTLY the same problems with the choke, with the bike running fine with the choke out, but it would die as soon as I pushed it in.  I had some cracks in the reed valve boot, between the carb and intake.  I bought a boyesen rad valve and replaced it. I completely dissasembled the carb, and cleaned everything.  it didn't work.  I believe that some of the passages in the carb body were partially rusted shut or something.  So, I bought a new carb, and reassembled everything.  It runs amazing now, except that it vibrates like crazy.  The rings on your piston have nothing to do with your choke not working, but it wouldn't hurt to tear everything down to check it out. 

Offline demographic

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2007, 08:18:08 PM »
While on the subject of re-building very old and hardly used twostrokes I have to mention dried up old crank seals.

Better to replace em.

chrisorbics

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 10:31:00 AM »
hughes
No trade just your cash back    What state do you live in??

I live in new jersey. I would never sell this bike for what I paid for it. If you saw this bike in person you would understand. This bike has never been betten on. Just by looking at it you can see it has barely been used.

SupermotoFan sounds like you have a lot of work to do. If you even need to know how something should look or be put together just message me because most of the bolts have never over been off of my bike. Good luck

dcollins4328 You are probably right. Where did you get a new carb and rad valve from? How much did everything cost you? I wonder if they make a rad valve for my year. I just but the reed box and carb back together and used high temp permatex between the reed block and the rubber intake and the reed block and the engine. It fired up as soon as I remembered to put the spark plug wire on the plug. Then it started up on the first kick. By the way nice deal. Do you have any pictures posted?

This is my new problem. When I start the bike up on full choke the choke goes down by itself or if I rev it up. Why does it do that? The bike dies every time. Is it supposed to do that? I wasn't able to keep it running because of the choke and it is so dam loud. I will fire it up on thursday.

dcollins4328

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007, 03:37:00 PM »
You can get a rad valve for it on denniskirk.com or rockymountainatv.com. It's about $170. I got the carb on ebay for $40.  I don't know if they make them for that year or not?  It sounds like you might need to replace your choke.  All in all I have spent about $1000 on mine getting it into great shape again.

SupermotoFan

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2007, 01:30:31 AM »
Chris,

Thanks for the offer on the photos of your stock bike--I'm getting more familiar with what's right (and what's not) on my bike, but I may take you up on that sometime.

Now, with the choke:  Did you say that the choke physically moves and shuts itself off while you're trying to warm the bike?  Or is it that the bike stalls while still on the choke?

chrisorbics

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2007, 10:51:58 AM »
Hi the choke physically goes down and makes the bike stall when I first start it up. I just don't get it. I have never had that problem. I just got a manuel off ebay so I am going to read that and see if it gets me anywhere.

dcollins4328 that carb you goto was used if it was only $40. I think a rebuild kit is around that much money.

dcollins4328

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2007, 05:05:12 PM »
YEah it was used. My old carb had something wrong with the carb body, it was corroded or something, so a rebuild kit wouldn't have helped.

chrisorbics

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2007, 01:30:47 PM »
Hi again I think mine has the same problem. I had it running today. I used a spray bottle to check the rubber intake boot for leaks while the bike was running. There is no leaks at all. It has to be the carb. I saw this bucket of carb cleaner at autozone. It says to soak the carb in it for about a half hour. I am either going to use that or bring it to my friends house and use his compressor on it. I can not wait to get this bike running right. It is all stock and has the greatest exhuast note.

chrisorbics

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2007, 10:50:19 AM »
I was just ridding the bike and let me tell you that the power is adicting. I got a bucket of carb cleaner and let the carb sit in the cleaner over night. That stuff is great and worth the $20. So the bike fires right up and runs great. It does still need a little fine tuning but it is fine for now. So I rode it for about a half hour and the left side rear axle bearing fell apart and blroke a chunk of the hub and also cracked the center of the hub. So I really need a new rear wheel now.