Author Topic: KIPS valve shaft  (Read 4770 times)

DrMojo

KIPS valve shaft
« on: June 14, 2003, 11:37:19 AM »
Hello all.......

I need to know if it is normal to be able to grab the KIPS shaft lever (located behind the protective plastic cover on the right side of the motor) and actuate the KIPS valves.  With the engine off, I can grab the lever and pull the shaft out about 3/4 of an inch.  The valves move yet I question if I should be able to move them with the engine off.  I looked at the shop manual and I believe that I should not be able to do this.  Morover, when I jump on the throttle in first, it sounds and feels like the motor is "loaded up" with fuel and running way rich.  This is not the case though.  I just do  not seem to be getting that joint ripping pull in my arms.  

The reason why I ask is, I can jump on the throttle in first gear and I have no sense of terror :shock: .  I have been riding this bike for a while and it seems to have good power.  I can make nice jumps and catch some real air......Yet, I also know that a sick KX500 can have good power too.   I figure a sick KX500 should run like a tuned CR500 :P

I also noted that when I reved the motor in neutral, I did not notice the shaft move.  

Added info....the bike idles perfectly (55/170 jetting), no hesitation off the start, good bottom end (I can clear a 20' table-top), when I let off on the gas though, the motor has a rolling down sound to the rpm as it idles down from speed (bhaaaaaaaaam,  bhaaaam, bhaaam) and not the typical whinnnng, ding, ding.  Boy do I feel stupid now :oops:

Well gang, let me know what you think.

Al

woodsy

KIPS valve shaft
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2003, 05:09:51 AM »
HI Al:
Being able to move that shaft by hand is normal.  Leave the cover off, start the bike and rev it up.  If the shaft doesnt move then you have a problem.
Your main jet seems little high, but a plug chop (using a new plug - running at top speed and checking color) is the only way to know for sure that jetting is good.
How is air filter?  My KX likes to have its filter clean - if its not it really affects jetting (and it should).  Also, does your bike "seep" gas out of the carb if sitting with the gas on?  Maybe time for a new float needle!
Some ideas....
Woodsy

DrMojo

KIPS valve shaft
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2003, 01:28:36 PM »
Woodsy,

Thanks for the tips.  I have a new Twinair filter and I clean it after every second ride.  It is clean.  I will start the motor and check the shaft movement.  Also, the carb needle is a good point to check too.

I will let report back what I find.

Rick

KIPS valve shaft
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2003, 02:35:54 AM »
Good response, Woodsy, I agree.  Just wanted to add one other note.  When you pull out on the shaft, it should snap back into place quickly because of the spring pressure on the governor spring.  If it does not snap back quickly, there is a problem.

Rick

DrMojo

KIPS valve shaft
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2003, 04:15:39 AM »
I checked it out and the KIPS actuator mechanism works fine.  The shaft moves in and out at the proper RPM range.

I adjusted my float level as it was off by about 1mm or so.  Started the bike at it works/revs fine.

Thanks for the feedback.