Author Topic: KX5 Lighting Coil  (Read 5413 times)

Offline apple

• Desertriding.com
KX5 Lighting Coil
« on: January 24, 2007, 05:54:59 PM »
Hello all.  I tried putting in a lighting coil that bolted up to my stator plate without too much work. Problem is the output is too d**n weak. This was supposed to be a 65 watt coil, and it`ll only get the light bright if you rev it up which is a little hairy at night. Rumor has it around here that some coils advertised as 65 watts aren`t really that strong. I`ve ruled out the voltage regulator, and the headlight only needs 35 watts, which makes me think the coil is weak and needs to be tossed.  Has anyone tried coils that worked well?  Thanks in advance, Jack
2000 KX500

Offline demographic

Re: KX5 Lighting Coil
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 05:40:04 AM »
Hello all.  I tried putting in a lighting coil that bolted up to my stator plate without too much work. Problem is the output is too d**n weak. This was supposed to be a 65 watt coil, and it`ll only get the light bright if you rev it up which is a little hairy at night. Rumor has it around here that some coils advertised as 65 watts aren`t really that strong. I`ve ruled out the voltage regulator, and the headlight only needs 35 watts, which makes me think the coil is weak and needs to be tossed.  Has anyone tried coils that worked well?  Thanks in advance, Jack

I have one the same as yours, its bollocks :-(

I hope that AJ gets the other version sorted that chucks out about 130 watts or perhaps I might get one of the Eline 180 watt versions.

Both a bit "spendy" though.

Offline raredesign

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 06:07:03 AM »
What brand did you go with? I see that moose makes one that is only like 60 bucks.

Offline apple

• Desertriding.com
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 01:14:44 AM »
I used the Electrosport coil,
http://www.electrosport.com/shopping_ignition_lighting_coils/prod_ignltg_str_esl220.html.
I`ve used Electrosport for some other stuff and they`ve been great. Just that this coil isn`t so hot. Tech support acknowledged that the coil won`t put out much till the revs are up. This probably works in the woods or tight stuff but dezert rides needs more light. Who`s AJ cause that 130 watt unit sounds good, have to keep checking on that. I`ve seen that E-line thing, 200 watts. It`s about 500 bucks here in the US. Definitely thought about it, maybe later on.
2000 KX500

Offline demographic

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 02:10:22 AM »
Who`s AJ cause that 130 watt unit sounds good, have to keep checking on that.

]AJ Wagonner (might not be the correct spelling but hey ho) who makes the Service Honda CR250/500 hybrids is now turning his attentions towards the Kawasakis.
He is also planning to produce a combined digital ignition and lighting coil setup.

Some information contained within this thread...
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,2784.0.html

Offline raredesign

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 03:37:23 PM »
I have heard that e-line is great, and will definitely end your problems. Are you running a battery too?

chrisorbics

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 09:38:58 AM »
Hi I would love to put a headlight on my 1986 kawasaki kx500. What would it take to do the job correctly? Does anybody know how much it would cost? Can you tell me what parts I would need?

Thanks,
Chris

chrisorbics

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 10:18:47 AM »
Hi I am looking at a moose wiring harness with the voltage regulator. It even has the switch wired in. What else would I need and will this work with a 1986 kx500. Check this out if you haven't seen it.

http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/product~pf_id~5826607~dept_id~2315126.asp

chrisorbics

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 11:37:40 AM »
I just checked and moose doesn't make a lighting stator for my year. It has to be a 1990 or newer. I was just looking at the one on electrosport and they don't make one either. How come no one make this part for the older bikes?

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 12:29:01 PM »
86 is getting old, very old for a dirt bike.  Big horse power bikes wear out fast.   Most of those bikes have been crashed, stolen, or blown up.  It sounds like they changed the stator in 90 so you have more people with a 90 and up model.  Not much call for your year bike as far as parts and such because not many still around and running.
KX 500 Rider

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 12:39:53 PM »
chrisorbics, sounds like this is the guy you need to talk to about 86' K5 stuff,
JBKX  here's his signature
2) 1986 KXT250 TECATE 3-WHEELERS
 1) 1986 KXT500 TECATE W/ 86 KX500 MOTOR
 1) 1986 KX500
 1) 1998 KX250
KX 500 Rider

jigggawatt

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 02:01:59 PM »
I raced the 24 hours at Glen Helen . I found the Eline  needed to be reved to make any good power. We  ran just one light and it ran ok , but   with two and not wide open it tripped the overload. We ran the Baja design Diablo Dual light setup . Let me tell you when it shut of in the middle of nowhere it was a pucker moment. :-D

chrisorbics

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 02:38:32 PM »
Hi JBKX said that I should get a complete flywheel and stator set up from a 1990 or newer kx500. Does anybody else think this would work on my 1986?

All you guys are talking about your weak lighting power. Consider yourselves lucky if you can even get lighting power to your bike. I am just looking for something. I will worry about how bright it is all low rpm later on.

Thanks,
Chris

Offline raredesign

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 03:40:16 PM »
All you guys are talking about your weak lighting power. Consider yourselves lucky if you can even get lighting power to your bike. I am just looking for something. I will worry about how bright it is all low rpm later on.

Thanks,
Chris

Mount a maglite  :-D

Offline apple

• Desertriding.com
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 02:41:19 AM »
Mount a Maglite, I like that. Screw all the hard stuff. How about duct taping it to the top of the old helmet, that way you sees what you look at. Even if it`s on the right going by at 40 mph. :-D
2000 KX500