Author Topic: Someone Please Help  (Read 2091 times)

Offline BigGreenMachine

Someone Please Help
« on: January 24, 2007, 08:38:49 AM »
Can someone help me find a KX500 frame? I've been searching for the past month and its running me ragged.

Seems like ebay'rs want too much and most don't like shipping to Canada if they even ship at all. This one guy wants $165 shipped for a frame...way too much for a frame I'm going to cut in two.

PLEASE, someone help me out so I can complete my project.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 08:57:37 AM by BigGreenMachine »

Offline serafin

Re: Someone Please Help
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 10:40:12 AM »
Hi

Have you tried the motorcycle salvage yards, auto junk yards ect..  What is your project? You mentioned your going to cut it up.  Do you just need the engine cradle or what?  Shipping to canada is no big deal just more paperwork. 

serafin 

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 10:53:54 AM »
$165 doesn't sound bad for a good frame.
Anything cheaper is most likely stolen.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 10:55:47 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline BigGreenMachine

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 11:11:40 AM »
I only need the engine cradle. I am putting a 88KX5 into an 85 Kawasaki Tecate. There are only 3 KX5's around here I know of, two complete plus my 500 trike.

$165 is bad, especially for someone on a students budget. I don't understand why someone would ask that much for what is essentially scrap steel.

Point is I don't want to pay that much for something I will be chopping up.

USPS will take a complete frame with an address on it. USPS Airmail Parcel Post would cost under 40 to ship. So theres no reason to ask a fortune for a frame unless you think your selling gold...sorry for the rant, really frustrated with this.

Come on guys.

Offline serafin

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 12:57:09 PM »

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 03:04:44 PM »
Hey man, I hate to break it, but frames are not cheap. Check Kawasaki, they are asking $1087.27 @ my local Kawasaki shop (http://www.matison.com) This is just for the steel frame. So, I find $175 to be a fair deal as it is 16% of what it costs new.

I'm so d**n busy with work, but if I get some time to get out and chop the frame up and swing by the post office, you'll have a frame. Be patient or be willing to pay up. But, I do agree with you, it is crazy how much a piece of metal costs. I had to replace some plastics on my R1 after some scratches and ect. Cost me nearly $1800 for parts that cost them less than $100 to manufacture.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 03:09:12 PM by gowen »

Offline BigGreenMachine

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 02:24:56 AM »
Gowen, how long before you think you can mail that frame? PM me what you want for it.

I hear ya on cost. I've paid outrageous dealer prices for stuff that was no bigger then your thumb.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 03:04:21 AM »
I hear ya on cost. I've paid outrageous dealer prices for stuff that was no bigger then your thumb.

Exhaust mount :D

Offline BigGreenMachine

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 03:43:30 AM »
Yup! Priced them yesterday, $15 bux CDN a pop...nuts.

Here is all I need of the frame, inside the red. Would you pay $165 for that?

Offline c-152

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 04:24:21 AM »
Man - I hate the prices of parts especially at the dealer but I have to agree with Gowen that 165 is a good deal.  You have to know that a frame isnt just scrap steel, it is metal that is framed up and weilded to precise (or at least we hope) standards.  I know you are just cutting it up but as a seller - I wouldnt care what you were doing with it.  I frequently buy and sell used parts and have several frames that I have sold for more than 175$.  Everyone who purchased one said they could not believe that they got a frame for that cheap.  I have seen just the subframe sell for more.  I know a couple of friends and a local track/shop that always has parts around.  I will check with them but I hope Gowen works out
?There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.?
? Ernest Hemingway

"I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming and covered in blood."

Offline BigGreenMachine

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 07:06:33 AM »
I understand from a sellers standpoint. Though I don't do much buy it now shopping on ebay, I'm a bargain hunter.

Bikeboneyard has a pretty good price on a frame. Maybe buying that if gowen can't get the frame out soon.  :-D :lol: Thanks guys, thanks serafin! C'mon gowen, an hour to cut and post that section dude.