Author Topic: clutch basket removal  (Read 20568 times)

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
clutch basket removal
« on: January 17, 2007, 01:15:17 AM »
I'm trying to remove the clutch basket from our KX85.  I tried my weak and tired impact gun to no avail.  A good one might work, but mine is a POS.  Any other ideas?
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline alan

• Administrator
Re: clutch basket removal
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 02:15:21 AM »
Are you sure it isn't a lefty thread? Heat it with a hot air gun! Get a bigger impact! All else fails air chisel!

Good luck! :roll:
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline gwcrim

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 04:00:33 AM »
How do I know if it's a lefty or not?
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 04:30:27 AM »
check manual, If you can see the thread you can tell or if the rotation is such that if would unscrew it self during normal running it would  normally be left hand.

Alan :-)
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 05:02:32 AM »
GW, I called House of Kawasaki in OKC because I don't have a book for the KX85.  Service told me it will be Right hand threads.  Like Alan says look at the threds and make sure.  I would use my torque wrench and set it a little higher than the factory setting. That way if you are going the wrong way it will click before you over tighten it to much, then try it the other way.  Let us know what you find.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 06:45:42 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline gwcrim

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 05:48:27 AM »
Well Day-am!  Thanks Mr. Danger!

I'm thinking worst case, I'll drill the sucka off.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 06:10:02 AM »
Crim, are you holding the basket still while you impact away or are y ou letting it spin? Take a towel or the likes and a large pair of plyers (towel to protect) and hit it a few times with an impact. Works every time. Even with a weak one.. Believe it or not, my new snap on impact sucks compared to my old tired craftsman.. Go figure.

Offline gwcrim

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 07:35:04 AM »
I tried it in gear, holding the wheel with my hand.  No go.  I'll try to delicately hold it with a big set of channel locks.  But I ended up breaking the one on my 500 when I tried to remove it.  So my track record is less than stellar.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 09:02:22 AM »
I hear you. That's why I use a nice shop towel to grip, but not metal to metal grip. The inner basket is weak and breaks easy. I only recommend it with an impact. I'm amazed it didn't budge in gear. It's a shame you aren't from around here, I have a DPAC impact I'd give you..

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 12:17:53 PM »

I removed the nut on my flywheel today to add a Steahly flywheel weight.  I know for sure the direction of the nut and used a impact to knock it off. I'm going to copy the installation instructions from the Steahly Flywheel Weight because it will work for removal/install on your clutch basket.  Use one of the ideas below to keep the flywheel assembly (crank shaft) from turning when you loosen the nut.  Some of these methods could cause damage if you are not careful.

A. Use a Steahly Engine Lock Up Tool, part # E-3, for most two strokes up to 380cc.  It screws into the spark plug hole and the piston hits the plastic tip, which stops the flywheel rotation.

B.Use an air powered impact wrench to quickly spin the nut loose. However, it will not allow accurate torque when tightening the flywheel weight and may cause damage to the flywheel weight.

C. Remove the spark plug and bring the piston up to about one inch from top dead center.  Feed in a few inches of rope (leave some hanging out so you can pull it back out).  Make sure that the rope does not go into any of the cylinder ports.  Now slowly turn the engine over compressing the rope between the cylinder and the head until the flywheel stops turning.  Use only smooth torque action while loosening and tightening nuts.  Do not use hammers  or breaker bars.

D. Put the transmission in high gear and hold the rear brake on.  Be careful, if you get too rough you could break your brake caliper bracket.

D did not work for me, but B and C did.  I think this would work for the clutch basket.

KX 500 Rider

Offline gwcrim

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 12:49:22 AM »
I thought about stopping the piston with rope but the inner basket drives the rear wheel and when the clutch plates are out the crank is not effected.  I also tried to heat the nut with a torch and then hit it with the impact gun.  No go.

Would it be tacky to take the bike to the local Kaw shop and ask them to remove the nut only?  They're the ones who put it on so danged tight when the put the crank in it!
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 01:22:03 AM »
The nut you are trying to remove, is it on the crank shaft?
KX 500 Rider

Offline gwcrim

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 01:45:04 AM »
No.  It's the nut that holds the clutch basket assy. in.  And when it spins the rear wheel turns, not the crank.  The outer basket is turned by the crank.  The inner (which is held on by the BIG nut) drives the rear wheel.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 07:37:43 AM »
No.  It's the nut that holds the clutch basket assy. in.  And when it spins the rear wheel turns, not the crank.  The outer basket is turned by the crank.  The inner (which is held on by the BIG nut) drives the rear wheel.

Know any friends in the automotive business? Anybody with an air impact that could just pop it off?

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 07:56:15 AM »
Can you snap a picture for us?
KX 500 Rider