Author Topic: Suggestions on a new ride  (Read 2507 times)

eprovenzano

Suggestions on a new ride
« on: January 04, 2007, 10:55:43 AM »
Recently my son took over my KX250. His YZ125 was just getting too small. He's almost 17 years old, 5'10", 225-230lbs. The 125 just doesn't have enough arse to haul him through our tight trails, so dad got bumped onto the 125. I'm going to need another bike. My question... What are the pros/cons of each brand. I'm thinking of KTM 300/250, KX250, CR250, YZ250 and RM250. (also considering a 500) Of course I prefer a 2 smoker.

I've had very good success with my KX and I'm thinking it be nice to get some thing similar to what I already have, as its been very reliable. I've changed the gearing, and added a flywheel weight, its an excellent woods bike.  I've also had very good success with my son's YZ125. I'm thinking the KTM 300 would be nice for the extra torque to haul my butt around. How reliable are the KTM's, RM's, YZ's and CR's. Which bike has the better low end grunt.  I do a lot of woods trail riding, and the occasional MX track. Due to financial contrants, I'll be looking at something from 99 - 02 era. Its all about the money...  :-o

I know I need to stay green, but sometimes it never hurts to explore all options and get an education...  Any and all suggestions would be helpful.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Re: Suggestions on a new ride
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 11:17:19 AM »
Out of all you listed, I've been most happy with my YZ250.. That is if you are in the 250 range. Best suspension, motor, and handling to me. This is owning a bit of all bikes at one pointe or another when I was back into the "more the merrier" lifestyle. I can't/won't get rid of my YZ, I had no issues dumping all other bikes.

hangtime

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 12:18:42 PM »
How about the 310 big bore kit for the 99-02 KX250. Over on dirt rider dot net there is a lot of info and most of it sounds positive. It would also be reassuring to buy the 250 and do the big bore kit yourself, then you know just what you have under the hood.

eprovenzano

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 01:28:21 AM »
Hangtime that thought never crossed my mind...  You have really peeked my interest. I'm going to change my thought process, and go after something in need of major engine repair... 

thanks

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 02:44:00 AM »
Food for thought:

If your boy's 125 is in good shape, you could always put a big bore kit on it as well.  I considered that route before I bought the 250.

I also considered going big on my new 250, but one of the reasons I bought it was that I hate to kick start the 520.  Going big on the 250 would just make it all the harder to kick.

A pal of mine has a KTM EXC300 and that thing is WICKED FAST.  Scared me more than my big bore 520!  And since All Pro deals in Kawi and KTM, you already know the dealership.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 07:18:42 AM »
I had a cr144 I sent off to Eric Gorr and that thing was an ABSOLUTE beast. It exploded like my KX and was d**n near as fast as my YZ. But, top-ends were constant and was hard on the crank. I ended up using Wiseco's crank assembly and it fixed that. I ended up selling it to a buddy and he still has it.. That thing was awesome.

hangtime

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 08:59:39 AM »
I got to ride a new yz125 last weekend and it was a blast. After riding a big bike around, the 125 was like a bicycle. eprovenzano said his kid was 225lbs. If he is anything like his kid the little 125 aint going to cut it.

kx_rider53

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 09:16:21 AM »
The YZ 250 is a great bike, you would be very happy with it. You could always make your 125 a 167   :evil:

eprovenzano

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 01:48:48 AM »
Hangtime, unfortunatly the apple didn't fall too far from the tree.  I am (size wise) the tad bigger than my son...  When we are young, we are gratefull to grow, but as we get older we continue to grow, just in the wrong areas...

The 125 does get my big butt where I want to go, but I have to work a lot harder to get it there...  With the two fiddy, I don't even think the deep mud, or what line I should use on this hill climb, or even will I even make it to the top...  I just twist the throttle and go.  On the 125, you need to think ahead, be aware of your lines, the terrain etc.

It's a kick in the asre that a 125 when in the proper line, in the proper gear, and in the proper RPM range, has that much power.  Its just my son has leaned that in our tight trails, the two fiddy is just easier to handle.  He was ready to give up riding because he was struggling so much on the 125  :-(  that's why I suggested taking the 250.  The passion for riding and that big smile we all get from riding has returned since riding the 250.  8-) :-D