Author Topic: too old to be competitive?  (Read 3979 times)

Offline blackkx

too old to be competitive?
« on: January 08, 2007, 09:51:05 AM »
 I am planning to start racing at my local motox track , I have practiced and practiced and practiced in order to get my strength and stamina to where i feel it needs to be . My big question , my bike is a 98 kx250, is it good enough bike to win on up against new machines ? Is it up to date enough , very good shape for a 98 . I think anyway . Has fmf pipe and silencer , delta v-force intake , protaper bars and michelin startcross tires . I have 10 years experience on bikes and i know that i am capable physically of being competitive and the bike handles like a dream , i love the power and seems to be a darn good bike but i want some of you guys opinions on the matter .   
98 KX250

Wizzy214

Re: too old to be competitive?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 09:57:03 AM »
lets see some pictures!!! :mrgreen:

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 10:25:02 AM »
Black,
  Likely not in the pro class, but remember it is 90% rider and 10% bike.  Think of what Bubbah could do on a scooter in a local race.  I'd say go for it.  I love blowing away new bike owners on my 92 500 (mind you I'm in the bush on single track).  Gives me some perverse satisfaction I guess.  Cam.

Offline blackkx

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 01:17:18 PM »
 I will try to post some pics of it tommorrow .
98 KX250

Offline kx666

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 04:51:53 PM »
Black,
  Likely not in the pro class, but remember it is 90% rider and 10% bike.  Think of what Bubbah could do on a scooter in a local race.  I'd say go for it.  I love blowing away new bike owners on my 92 500 (mind you I'm in the bush on single track).  Gives me some perverse satisfaction I guess.  Cam.

speaking of this... a buddy i ride with (was pro for one race until he  broke his sholder at Glen helen...) wasted all of us on a track riding my girls' dr125. and non of us are real slow.

Offline 5dracing

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 02:57:43 AM »
I ride with a group of guys that are varied in talent. Some were "A" riders on 500's back in the 80's and there are a few that were on the verge of getting pro licenses. One guy still rides and races on the Big bore 4 stroke KTM's and does well. A dealer I know is in his 60's and still rides competitively. He said it best, "I'll ride and race until it's not fun anymore." Guess he's still having fun!!! On the other hand a couple guys that were on the verge of turning pro quit because they could'nt go as fast as they used to.

Bottom line If you want to race, race. Don't let the year of the bike or your age decide.

This very decision was on my mind for nearly 7 years while my son was starting to ride. Finally in '05 I decided to give it a try. After the race I silently asked myself why I waited so long.
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

Offline MadKaw

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 10:30:23 AM »
enter a race or 2 and flog it hard. see what ya got. you might suprise yourself :-D
Deviate from the Norm!
Father!...The sleeper has Awaken!!!

2001 Harley Sportster xlh1200
'73 Suzuki GT550
'75 Suzuki GT550
'74 Kawasaki Z1 900
'79 Yamaha GT80
'93 KX500*******
'84 Yamaha Riva 180z scooter
08 Q-link Pegasus scooter first new rid

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 10:57:04 AM »
I still believe that the KX500 is still a competitive bike. I've ridden alot of the new stuff, four strokes and the like and really think that despite its age it still is up there in all aspects of competition. The power is still unbeatable and very useable, braking is still more than adequite, I find the suspension, once set up to personable satisfaction, is good and its weight is comparable to the latest mx weaponary thats out there now. The only thing is maybe ridding postion. Although I love it for trailing with its super comfy seat. Once you get the right bars and risers sorted its no trouble to stand up all day and cover any terrain with ease.

So the rest is up to you. The more time you spend behind the bars the more at home you'll become and you're level of fittness increases. As Cam says 90% is the pilot. Be nice to reach the 90%. I'm still trying to get there. :-D
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline blackkx

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 10:47:15 AM »
 I will start racing next week at the local track , the bike seems to be plenty fast enough to win . The guys i ride with all have o6 model 450 4 strokes and most of them are "a" class racers , i stay right on there back fender for the most part and my bike is a 250 . Another thing is the quik starting after taking a break , i ride in circles waiting for the other guys to start there bikes . I love it . I will start in the 250cc beginner class and se what happens .
98 KX250

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 11:12:34 AM »
I am planning to start racing at my local motox track , I have practiced and practiced and practiced in order to get my strength and stamina to where i feel it needs to be . My big question , my bike is a 98 kx250, is it good enough bike to win on up against new machines ? Is it up to date enough , very good shape for a 98 . I think anyway . Has fmf pipe and silencer , delta v-force intake , protaper bars and michelin startcross tires . I have 10 years experience on bikes and i know that i am capable physically of being competitive and the bike handles like a dream , i love the power and seems to be a darn good bike but i want some of you guys opinions on the matter .   

How old are you? A '98 definately has a somewhat dated suspension, but the '98 was the pinnacle of KX250 engine power, and still VERY competitive today. If you are older and can race a vet class, those guys tend to be out to race and have fun. Young novices' tend to go out to conquer the world, and take out every rider in their way. Try to join a low key club. Ask around your area for a MX club that is more "family" based, rather than grudge points competition.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline blackkx

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 12:54:20 PM »
 well I am 24 so that puts the vet class out :mrgreen: . I am gonna start out by going on thurs nights for practice night at the track we will se where it leads me from there . The suspension may be dated but it has been compltely redone by doug harvey suspension and feels really good to me . I think my biggest problem is wearing out my upper body , I need to figure out a way to work on that , I can blister my practice track for about 5 laps and then my arms get tired and tense and i cant stay smooth after that no matter how hard i fight the fatigue . any suggestions ?
98 KX250

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 04:46:09 PM »
Black,
  Skipping is great for the wind.  Other than that, lots of track time is a good way to build up the endurance.  One technique that I like is to do as you say " blister the track" for as many laps as you can, then back off to about 2/3 speed but then focus on staying smooth and riding in straight lines, ie going in deep and squaring the corners as much as possible.  Try to stay on for another 10 laps doing that. Then stop, rest and do it again.  Lots of forearm training is also a good idea.  I always used a supported pole with a wind up weight on a rope.  Strong forearms help you hold on less tight which then keeps you more relaxed (which helps everywhere). Hope this helps. Cam.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 12:39:13 AM »
well I am 24 so that puts the vet class out :mrgreen: . I am gonna start out by going on thurs nights for practice night at the track we will se where it leads me from there . The suspension may be dated but it has been compltely redone by doug harvey suspension and feels really good to me . I think my biggest problem is wearing out my upper body , I need to figure out a way to work on that , I can blister my practice track for about 5 laps and then my arms get tired and tense and i cant stay smooth after that no matter how hard i fight the fatigue . any suggestions ?

Your fatigue is the common "arm pump". The only real way to combat arm pump is to ride as much as possible. Arm pump is 50% muscle fatigue, and 50% nervesneous. I take 3 Ibuprofins 45 min before my moto, and that helps big time. Beginner racers experience brutal arm pump simply because they are slower, and all the track obsticles pound on a new rider. As you build speed you will tread much lighter over whoops, and jumps which far lessens upper body abuse.  Arm pump sucks.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart