Author Topic: Aftermarket fuel tanks and aftermarket pipe compatibility  (Read 4374 times)

Brad

Aftermarket fuel tanks and aftermarket pipe compatibility
« on: December 28, 2006, 02:51:19 PM »
I'm considering purchasing an aftermarket fuel tank (IMS 3.6 gallon) for my '04 500.  I have an FMF Gnarly pipe on the bike.  IMS could not say if their tank was or wasn't compatible with that particular pipe since they design their tanks around the stock pipes.  I'm concerned about fit/clearance.  Does anyone know if these two components are compatible?  Also if others could comment on combinations they know do/don't work, it would be helpful to those considering these modifications.  THANK YOU!

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: Aftermarket fuel tanks and aftermarket pipe compatibility
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 02:55:00 AM »
Brad I have the same bike/pipe and would like the bigger tank also.  I would think if the IMS tank fits the stock pipe and the FMF Gnarly fits the stock tank. I would think both after market parts follow the stock line/shape at the point where they meet.  What do you think?  If anyone has the IMS with the FMF Gnarly please let us know.
KX 500 Rider

Offline serafin

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 03:36:03 AM »
Hi everyone

I have a Pro Circuit pipe and a IMS tank and have no problems. 

Serafin

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 07:38:26 AM »
Brad I have an 04 KX500 and have the IMS 3.6 tank, it fits perfectly to the bike. I also have the FMS Gnarly pipe and it clears the tank with no problems. 
  However the Gnarly pipe did not fit my bike very well. I ended up milling the gasket surface on an angle, bending the mounting tabs and shimming all the mounts. After a couple of hours of fitting , it now fits perfectly. I have three seasons on the tank and one season on the pipe with no problems.
 John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 07:44:21 AM »
My bud has an 97 500 with gnarly pipe and we have had no fit issues, We did find it best to leave the damper pipe mounts lose and then tighten them after the pipe was installed, we also pulled the right side radiator out of the way.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 09:14:10 AM »
My bud has an 97 500 with gnarly pipe and we have had no fit issues, We did find it best to leave the damper pipe mounts lose and then tighten them after the pipe was installed, we also pulled the right side radiator out of the way.
Is that with a stock tank or the 3.6 IMS?
KX 500 Rider

Offline kx666

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 01:30:53 AM »
i have been thinking about a larger tank, but i am afraid of the weight. what do youguys think of the rideability with the larger tank?? thanks
~steve

Offline Johnniespeed

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 03:05:33 AM »
 I am told that a gallon of fuel weighs about seven pounds. I am not a professional rider and  cannot tell the difference between the two tanks. I guess if seven pounds made a huge difference then I could stop eating cheeseburgers and things would equal out. LOL
 The one thing I do know for sure is that having a big tank with lots of fuel allows me to ride longer and go on any trail without fear of running out of fuel. I have several times pulled off my fuel hose and given away a couple quarts of fuel to get some little tank boy back to camp.
 Also I do know that the  "clear" or natural color of the tank ( although I didnt like it at first) is really great , because at a glance you always know how much fuel is left.  The original tank is black, and I would always overfill it, even in direct sunlight.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 04:15:04 AM »
I have a KLR 650 and I don't fill up before I trail ride because it does make it top heavy with 6.1 gal. capacity.
Johnniespeed your right as far as cheeseburgers go.  My friend told me back off the dinner table and I would not have to put all the hotrod stuff on my Quad.  In my full motoX gear I weight in at about 270 pounds.  My buddy has the same Quad in stock trim but he's 100 lighter than me.  I can not beat him in a drag race.
KX 500 Rider

Offline Johnniespeed

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 03:37:40 AM »
 Danger4u2 , does that mean we should be discussing wieght loss instead of performance modifications ? That just doesnt seem as fun as bolting on fast stuff!  I hope I dont see any posts about Slim Fast in the review section. I wont mention the weight thing again. Now lets talk about porting or pipes !  I think there is a piece of pumpkin pie in the refrigerator, I'll be right back.  John
 2004 KX500 E16

Offline demographic

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 03:44:54 AM »
The good thing about big tanks is that you don't have to fill them to the top but you have more choice.

Also the neutral colour ones are far and away better than the non see through ones cos you can see how much there is in em.

Offline kx666

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 04:40:31 PM »
not the my k5 is pritty, but i cannt get over the looks of the large tank..mabe i will put it on my "to do" list. i always run out of fuel and usually in about 1 to 1 1/2 hours of ridding.

Offline c-152

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 12:05:22 AM »
I am not sure if this helps.  I have the stock tank and have and FMF Gnarly.  I just bought a sock pipe on ebay.  I will compare the two tonight and let you know (just my opinion) how they match up. 
?There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.?
? Ernest Hemingway

"I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming and covered in blood."

steve1965

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 05:07:54 AM »
I also have an IMS tank with a Pro Circuit pipe and have no problems. I think tha after market pipes fit better then the stock of at least give a littel more clearance from the tank. I also have a stock pipe for the K5

Steve
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 05:18:43 AM by steve1965 »

Offline c-152

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 09:53:39 AM »
A quick look at the two pipes leads me to believe that it would fit under an aftermarket tank.  Mind you I have a stocker
?There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.?
? Ernest Hemingway

"I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming and covered in blood."