Author Topic: Is there any difference between the engine in an 87 kx500 and a 98 500?  (Read 6143 times)

liilpa09

Well...I really messed up this time. I somehow managed to crack off a piece of the casing when OVER-tightening my oil drain bolt!!! :cry: the chip/crack is on the left side casing and as a result the bike leaks oil. i can't believe i did this.
Anyway, a new crankcase (they only sell them in sets) is about $450! so, i was just thinking of buying a new engine instead and keeping the one i have now as a spare and just putting the new engine in. There's one on ebay but is an 87. Just wondering if there are any differences, OR if anyone has an engine they're looking to sell please let me know ASAP.
my email:
liilpa09@aol.com

hangtime

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Re: Is there any difference between the engine in an 87 kx500 and a 98 500?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 02:57:07 PM »
They sell them in sets because they are a machined matching set.

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 10:57:18 PM »
liilpa09 ,why not disassemble the engine and bring the left case to the best welder in town? I am guessing the price of gaskets and welding will be a fraction of the price of a used motor.  Or if the crack is very small, you could try retapping the hole to a larger thread size and use a larger aluminum sealing washer, with the hope of the larger washer will cover over the crack.  And on a last resort the crack could be grooved with a die grinder and jb weld epoxy applied to the crack. You would be amazed how well JB weld sticks to a rough clean surface.
  Any way you choose, I hope you get it up and running soon. Let us know how it works out. Oh and by the way, I have found my local Acura dealer has a great selection of aluminum sealing washers from small to large, I use them all over my Isetta.   John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline kx666

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 01:20:32 AM »
do you have pics? i dont see why it couldnt be welded, there are rods out there for welding metals trditonaly thought to not be weldable (muggy weld is one brand i have used, very user friendly and turnedout awsoem). if the threds are badly damaged you could always use a heli-coil.
i hope this helps,\
~steve

idrinkmercury

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 04:00:14 AM »
Go to autozone/checker/pepboys, they make rubber oil plugs with a wingnut that expand in a hole. Sounds like a job for some JB weld--Don't Trash it! JB weld it! (I think that is the slogan) that stuff is essential. In a fix, I've used it to rebuild water pump housings, with no problems since.

Offline c-152

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 03:46:31 PM »
I agree - JB wield will hold.  I had a similar situation with a 1975 kd 125.  It had a big hole in the cases so I tore it down, cleaned it really good, scuffed it up a little and JB wielded it.  Never had a problem with leaking or anything.  It was on the bottom of the bike and I never had a skid plate.  The bike ran great for another 4 years until I leaned it against a tree and a branch ripped the air boot off.  I didn?t see it and rode it the rest of the day in the woods, noticed when I was done but it was to late, I lunched the motor. :x
?There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.?
? Ernest Hemingway

"I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming and covered in blood."

steve1965

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 03:53:25 PM »
I do know that the 87 has a steel cylinder wall instead of the nikaseal cylinder. I think most of the other parts are close. The steel does not cool as well as the other. I also have a 98 K5 good luck and I hope you get it fixed without having to buy a new one.

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 02:32:41 AM »
I over tightened the drain on my old CR125.  The side of the boss cracked off.  I put good ol' JB Weld on it and held it together with a hose clamp.  It did drip and need redone once or twice.  But it was far better than a new set of cases.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 04:10:27 AM »
I do know that the 87 has a steel cylinder wall instead of the nikaseal cylinder. I think most of the other parts are close. The steel does not cool as well as the other. I also have a 98 K5 good luck and I hope you get it fixed without having to buy a new one.

That's incorrect about the steel sleeve for an 87. They came factory with nikaseal cylinders.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

liilpa09

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 01:24:11 AM »
Hey just wanted to update you guys on what happened with this...I ended up just fixing it. I welded up the oil drain bolt. Then I re-tapped it for the bolt and threw in a magnetic oil drain plug. As good as new now! just thought i'd let everyone kow if you have a similar problem, that it can be fixed. Just don't overtighten your bolt and you won't have any problems!  :mrgreen: