Author Topic: Exhaust Pipe - Cheap  (Read 2291 times)

Offline c-152

Exhaust Pipe - Cheap
« on: December 21, 2006, 01:18:30 AM »
When I bought my kx500, it had an FMF Gnarley on it with a major dent in it that had rusted in a major crack.  I wielded it together and put a piece of metal over it and weilded that on.  It works fine but looks horrible (as my sheet metal work and wielding ability are...well.... I am a good bubble gum maker) and I am afraid when I start racing that it will not hold and I will end up causing major engine damage because I did things the cheap way.  I have read the reviews on this sight about pipes and to be honest, I just want a stock pipe or an aftermarket equivelent.  I am a woods rider and never run motocross so low and mid range power is important.  If anyone has a used pipe that they would like to sell for a reasonable price, let me know.  Or if anyone knows were I could get one for under 200$, I would appreciate the help.  I plan on purchasing a new pipe sometime after christmas.
?There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.?
? Ernest Hemingway

"I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming and covered in blood."

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Re: Exhaust Pipe - Cheap
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 02:14:23 AM »
If you're a woods / trails rider then you should be looking for a Gnarly (not the Desert version) to maximize that bottom end grunt. They are $229 new from FMF so you should be able to find it cheaper from Jeff @ Monkeybutt or over at MXSouth, Rocky Mountain, etc...

http://www.fmfracing.com/products/catalog.aspx?CategoryID=57&ItemID=020055

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 02:24:08 AM »
Pipes cost more than $200? d**n, I've purchased NEW FMF pipes for all my bikes and have never paid more than $200 brand new. Last pipe being about 2 years ago...

Offline kx666

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 02:28:48 AM »
i blow out a lot of pips on my k5, the stock pipe is the strongest pipe put there (it is the thickesst). 2-strokes suck as much as they blow and dirt can make its way though a damages pipe and cause motor damage. if you pipe looks like it might not hold look for a new one on ebay. you spent a lot of $$ on your bike to blow it up trying to pinch some pennies.

also talk to your local shops, some times they throw away parts, i have been lucky and picked perfectly good parts from tyhe dumpster.  :wink:

Offline c-152

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 12:15:06 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys, I went with a stocker on ebay. 
?There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.?
? Ernest Hemingway

"I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming and covered in blood."

proudndn21

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 03:44:58 PM »
anyone kow where i can get a pro circuit desert pipe?

Offline kx666

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 07:04:59 AM »
your local shopcan order them