Author Topic: carbon fiber clutch plates?  (Read 4630 times)

Offline moreccsthanlbs

carbon fiber clutch plates?
« on: November 08, 2006, 01:08:42 PM »
hi all, new to site. i have a 2000 kx500, i need to buy new clutch kit...are the carbom fiber clutch plates worth the xtra dough? do they stand up like they say they do?...i also read that alot of you run atf type f instead of oil? thanx in advance for your help

Offline kx666

Re: carbon fiber clutch plates?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 04:35:55 PM »
test

Offline kx666

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 04:39:15 PM »
Welcome to the site!

i personally have never tryed carbon fiber clutches, i am not sure i am fully convinced.

Offline kx666

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 04:48:54 PM »
if the car guys are switching FROM ATF in their chevell's for proformance resons, ATF may be a step backwards.The best oil i have used/ seen is Domonde Tech. (this is including seeing hundeds of motors apart)
steve

Offline kx666

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 04:51:20 PM »
i am the only person here who doesnt run ATF.

Offline kx666

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 04:54:31 PM »
they dont have nearly the levels of  as the oils do. they also use different additives

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 11:41:40 PM »
hi all, new to site. i have a 2000 kx500, i need to buy new clutch kit...are the carbom fiber clutch plates worth the xtra dough? do they stand up like they say they do?...i also read that alot of you run atf type f instead of oil? thanx in advance for your help

I've been running OEM Kawasaki plates for over 20 years, and never had a single problem. I tried Barnetts once, and too "grabby" and the springs are BRUTALLY stiff. As far ATF, I don't use it, I like Spectro Clutch Saver SX. I do know many people do use ATF with no problems either, so it's all choice. I personally se NO reason for carbon fibre plates on a typical stock engine.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 06:49:35 AM »
I personally have Barnett/EBC Carbon Fiber clutch packs with steel discs in all my bikes and love them.  For example, my 12 Y/O daughters Yamaha YFZ450 went through the stock clutch in one year.  The Carbon setup in hers is going on two years with minimal slack adjustment to compensate for wear.  And talk about no fade great grab starts?  No comparison.

For my 2-strokes I use only Pro-Honda HP Trans Oil SAE 80W/85W.  Sorry about the red wing, but I do have a CR500 and this oil is by far my only choice for tranny/clutch, even in my KX and RM.

If your bike is stock and do mostly trail riding with little clutching or lugging, stock clutch is more than fine.  My KX5 runs a modded motor in the sand and the stock clutch won't hold up to the power transfer of a paddle tire.  The clutch is the weak link in the power to the ground ratio and the better the pack, the better the power.  You have aluminum discs in your bike??  Toss out the setup and get carbon with steel discs and you will never complain of slippage or silvery gear oil again.

Cost got you worried??  If you put the hurt on the clutch because of riding style or motor mods then think of it this way...  Barnett/EBC for $120 and lasts 3 seasons or a low end/stock set for $40 and change every season?  Works out the same but performance/fade is much better.  Put three heavier springs (either the mediums or heavys) in the with three stock.  Clutch pull can be setup pretty good with the alternating of the stock, medium, and heavy springs in groups of three in offset pattern.

Lots of people don't realise how much their clutch is slipping (losing power) or shifting crappy (hot plates on hot discs with cheap oil).

Sly

Offline moreccsthanlbs

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 10:26:31 AM »
money isn't the issue, i just like to have the best parts on my bike, and b4 i buy i needed some info..thanks 4 all the responses...after i posted my question, i realized it has been about 3 yrs on the plates..so it's def time :) i think i'm goin with the carbon fiber, cuz i'm super hard on it...as far as the atf, i had never heard of it being used instead of oil(i use plain castrol 10/30, and bike runs as strong as the day i rolled it out of the dealership)...thank you again for your responses

Offline kx666

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 03:14:48 PM »
For my 2-strokes I use only Pro-Honda HP Trans Oil SAE 80W/85W.  Sorry about the red wing, but I do have a CR500 and this oil is by far my only choice for tranny/clutch, even in my KX and RM.

Sly,
i used to use HP 80/85 for years. it's not bad, and it is very inexpencive. have you tried Dumonde LWHS, it will free up a few horses and make shifting much easier. i have yet to see a motor apart that was using it but i have heard from a few other guys in the shop and that is all they will use. but it is not cheep and thay are a small company, i think they are located somewhere in WA??

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 05:28:22 AM »
I always like to use the best parts I can get.  I am running the DP carbon fiber clutch kit.  Comes with steel plates and replacement springs.  It was only about $20 more than the other kits.  I don't have more than 10 good rides on it so can't tell about the durability. So far it has been excellent in terms of feel, especially when hot.  Better feel than stock (which was very good). Very easy and smooth pull when combined with a rerouted cable and 8mm extended clutch arm. Cam.

Offline kx666

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 11:26:18 AM »
I always like to use the best parts I can get. 

Everyone,
this i soo important. the best deal does not mean s**t if it does not work, if $$ is an issue i wait until i can afford it.

There are a lot of people that cheep out on things that does not make sence. i work for a company right now that manufactures the best car care products ever, every day i see people who spent 60 grand restoring a hot rod or just picked up a new ferrari, but they say no to a 19$ item that they need to so somthing right.

Offline kx666

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 02:57:16 PM »
i was wondering if anyone has used Kevlar clutches, all of the manufgactures say that carbon is a better clutvh. in my experence playing with composites i woulf think kevlar would be much more forgiving.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 04:50:01 PM »
Cam, I used DP for drag racing and it was the ONLY clutch that did not give while out racing in 100+ degree weather. I had it for a season and sold the motor with it in it. I burned out a new set of Moose's within' a few rides and the stock clutches lasted a season for me. It started slipping shortly after. I recommend DP too. Cam +1