Author Topic: pipes and power  (Read 1678 times)

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
pipes and power
« on: December 07, 2006, 07:27:07 AM »
Figured I run this about in the general forum.

Just how much difference does a pipe make?  Huge or little or somewhere in between?

Reason I ask, my new to me 02 KX250 has a PC Platinum pipe which is an MX pipe.  I ride woods only maybe a hare scramble or two.  Would I be doing myself a favor by getting a more woodsy pipe?
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

222KX500

Re: pipes and power
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 08:34:20 AM »
I THINK PRO CIRCUIT PIPE WILL BE FINE IT THE WOODS.......OR MAYBE YOU SHOULD TRY A FMF GNARLY PIPE, THERE MADE FOR MORE TRAIL TYPE.

eprovenzano

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 08:37:45 AM »
What sprockets are you running.  I recently went to a 13 - 50.  Huge difference...  It is really easy to handle in the tight woods.  I too have a PC pipe on mine.  The sprocket change is the cheapest way to get make the bike more woods friendly.

Offline kx666

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 05:29:03 PM »
you will notice more difference in changeing sprockets or even flywheel weights. on most modern bikes there is not a hole lot to gain in pipes, the factory spends a lot of $$ on them.

a good chunk of riders will not notice the power difference with pipes
but they do look cool and sound awsome. if you were looking to replace it you may want to look for a "used" stock pipe,  they are much thicker than aftermarket, leading to less dents in return giving you better performence

i do not know a whole lot on 2 stroke pipes, mun knows a lot
~steve

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 12:18:05 AM »
I think the gearing is stock.  I am seriously thinking flywheel weight.  But what size?
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline kx666

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 03:04:40 PM »
I think the gearing is stock.  I am seriously thinking flywheel weight.  But what size?

the weight you choose should reflect you ridding style. the more you aadd the more torgue you gain, but that is at the expence of power