Author Topic: Noise restrictions  (Read 2561 times)

jolly green thumper

Noise restrictions
« on: November 28, 2006, 03:32:52 AM »
Would anyone know the db level for a stock 2003 KX500. In order to ride on Gov't land and participate in some Hare Scrambles in Ontario bike cannot be any louder than 94db. Almost certian stock 500 exceeds the limit. Does anyone know of any combination of stock/aftermarket pipe/muffler that would pass these noise restrictions. Riding areas in Ontario are closing due to noise, erosion, and illegal dumping issues. Dirt riders are being blamed  for all of  these.  After an area is closed in order to preserve nature, developers pull in, cut the trees down and pave over the entire area. Hope for all this is not a common problem where you ride.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 04:55:56 PM by gowen »

edkx

Re: Noise restrictions
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 05:42:34 AM »
There is a snorkel type silencer in the latest DirtRider mag that is a little ugly but is supposed to work great.My Turbine core sparky from FMF did nothing for the noise.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 05:43:30 AM »
I got hammered in Minnesota for my K5 being to loud.  The standard is under 99 dB(A) when conducting the stationary noise test (SAE standardized J1287 test). The lady that did the test said I could not ride because I was well over the limit.  She didn't say how much and I did not think to ask.  I run an FMF Gnarly with FMF Power Core.  Most likley I need to repack it.  I gave her the wah wah story.  I told her I drove 1000 miles for a wedding and brought my bike just to ride at the Iron Range.  http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/ohv/iron_range/index.html
Since I was just a 1 day rider she said I could ride because it was a weekday and only about 8 people were riding that day.  That weekend they were going to winter hours, weekends only.  If you are under 18 you have to have a rider safety course and be certified (card in hand).  I'm so glad she let me ride because I had a blast.  I have never heard of or seen anyone get sound checked in Oklahoma.
KX 500 Rider

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 05:45:53 AM »
There is a snorkel type silencer in the latest DirtRider mag that is a little ugly but is supposed to work great.My Turbine core sparky from FMF did nothing for the noise.

How about a link to the snorkel type silencer ??
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 02:29:50 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

edkx

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 01:59:11 PM »
Since you asked so nicely it's www.thedbsnorkel.com. Sorry but you're gonna have to type it in yourself.I don't know how to do that yet! :-D

edkx

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 02:00:13 PM »
Wow! Apparently,I do! :-o

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 03:38:59 PM »
Thanks for the link.  That looks like the ticket next time I visit the kin in MN.  He must have had a tester that said he could not ride, too loud.  Good design should work.  I was lucky I sweet talked her into letting me ride.
KX 500 Rider

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 11:56:35 AM »
My 04kx500 with Pro Circut "296" silencer that has two seasons on it comes in at 98 decibels. That is slightly over the 96 decible "suggestion" limit. I usually can pass and ride as long as they give me a warning to repack it. I agree that I will repack and off I go.
  In Michigan there are only two areas that I know of that check the noise. One is Silver Lake sand dunes and the other is Bull Gap area. The good news at Bull Gap ( for me) is that they are overlooking the dirtbikes and targeting the quads with aftermarket pipes who are no where near passing 96db.
  They check my bike at 3500 rpm , at a forty five degree angle from the tip and eighteen inches away. They give you a sirometer and you hold it on your engine to determine the RPM.   
  The snorkel is ugly but I have been thinking about buying one, to use when they are more insistant with compliance. Maybe a newer model will come out that looks nice.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline kx666

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 01:29:07 PM »
a good way to "cheet" at theese tests is a "turn down pipe". the mesure the sound from streight back 3 ft away, if you angle the pipe it quiets it down a lot

Offline serafin

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 03:57:22 PM »
Interesting item but sure is ugly looking.

Serafin

Offline kx666

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 04:13:27 PM »
not nessesarly, back when i was running the T5's on my shee i made some "turn downs" that looked really nice, i even had them chromed.
they are much less expenseve as the device shown above as well as much more aesthetically pleasing.
i have not made one for my kx, i plann on running a different silencer in the future.

Offline PurPorc

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 12:50:25 AM »
kx666, do you have any pictures of that?