Author Topic: Kickstart ratchet wear  (Read 7581 times)

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
Re: Kickstart ratchet wear
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 02:27:59 PM »
It has been about three years and my kick start has worked perfect ever since sharpening the ratchet teeth.
 I strongly suggest this to anyone who has kicker engagement problems.
 John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline Purpletj

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 04:14:57 PM »
Bumping a good post.
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity." -- Albert Einstein

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 02:31:12 AM »
this mod has been mentioned on here johnnie. ive just done the same thing to my new ratchet, as the guy who'd done it said it worked well. also, you might want to stretch the spring slightly as this helps push them together, as when you look closely and operate it you can see the teeth push against each other and the gears move away from each other slightly, and this is what starts the wear over a period of time.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline demographic

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 09:40:25 AM »
Apparently nobody has noticed the kickstart ratchet teeth are not a machined surface. Ok so I will be the dumb guy to try something unproven.  I took the ratchet and spur gear and reshaped the ratchet teeth so that they are a 90degree surface from the shaft. Now both of the surfaces have a flat contact surface and should not slip again.  I have started the bike about a dozen times and ridden it twice, it works perfect.  This is one of those modifications that will not prove or disprove itself until much riding and time.
  It still would be nice to hear from anyone that has tried this or understands what I am talking about.

Great stuff, what did you use to machine the surfaces to 90 degrees?

I have a spare kickstart ratchet gear in the shed, ready to go onto one of my KXs that has problems, I'll post up a picture of the gear if you want and I'm pretty sure I know the area you mean.

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 11:04:07 AM »
 I did that back in 2006 using a dremel with a grinding tip. I spent a long time checking and rechecking that all teeth make good contact. My kickstart has worked flawlessly ever since, the only cost was the gasket. I have one of those magnifying lamps that helped see closely the teeth and thier contact pattern.
 My bikes getting old, it's a 2004, but I still think it's the best bang for the buck. I still run into riders who think thier new 450 four stroke is the fastest bike in the world, then the old KX has to spank em, next comes thier excuses. You all know what I am talking about.
 John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline Hman636

• 00 kx 250, 02 yamaha warrior 1700, 06 yz 250
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 01:20:56 PM »
Hey, on that 92 k5 that im re doing for a friend, i got the gears back together and they are working great thanks for the help but wheni put the case back on the kick start wont ratchet back up. any help?

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 03:33:47 PM »
Hey, on that 92 k5 that i'm re doing for a friend, i got the gears back together and they are working great thanks for the help but when i put the case back on the kick start wont ratchet back up. any help?

Make sure you have the plastic spacer groove lined up with the spring that goes into the shaft of the kickstart and that you have the shim on the shaft behind the gear on the shaft. It's binding up and wont retract. I just had that issue with my 93 and the plastic bushing wasn't lined up properly.

Johnnie I want to thank you for this writeup. Bought a basket case a month ago. I just got my engine together for the first time and noticed the kickstart slips. I will pull it back apart and check this out tomorrow. I glanced at it today and thought it looked fine so I checked everything else out and put it all back together and it still slips.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.