Author Topic: How much longer will the K5 be top dog ?  (Read 5718 times)

Offline kiwikx500

How much longer will the K5 be top dog ?
« on: October 23, 2006, 03:36:35 PM »
See the 450 four strokes are getting up there in horse power,around the 54 HP mark with good power delivery,lite too.

What are your thoughts on the hungry four stroke wolf thats climbing the hill,will the K5 be knocked off its perch in standard form sooner than later ?
1990 KX 500

Offline KXcam22

Re: How much longer will the K5 be top dog ?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 04:19:14 PM »
Kiwi,
 You're right they are getting closer. But keep this in mind, simple thermodynamic engine theory shows that, given equal tuning, a 4-stroke simply can't equal a 2-stroke in HP. It physically can't do it!  Right now we are comparing highly tuned 4-strokes (think indy car) to a semi-tuned 2-stroke.   Run them both hard for the season without rebuilds then see who has money for beer at the end. Can't argue about the rideability and weight though, that is simply progress and I know that one day I'll eventually end up with one.  Was  riding with a bunch yesterday climbing some ugly, ugly rock faces and mountain creek beds. The only bike that made it to the top was my smoking green one.  Still the KING (so far)!!! Cam

Offline kiwikx500

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 04:59:52 PM »
Good points Cam.Ive been for the K5 ever since I seen our top motor crosser win New Zealand Titles piloting one.
To true the dirty 5 can be modded for more gains,the only threat could be if they bring out lite bigger bore four strokes.

Could to hear you are showing the boys who the BOSS is!

Great thing about K5's here in New Zealand is they are cheap to buy cause most are scared of them,think maybe some think it will have a powerband twice that of a 250
I find mine very user friendly :-D Had ago on a Yammy YZ25OF the other day,was like a powerful XR250.
Was impressive for what it was but I smiled all the way home thinking my M8 had payed twice as much for his Yammy than I did For my K5 but the K5 is well in truly over twice the Bang,win win 4 the K5 owner  :-D
1990 KX 500

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 05:54:27 PM »
   I just got back from Dumont Sand Dunes in CA.  Took the KX5 out with the new Race Tech suspension all around and big main fuel jet for the low altitude.  To answer the question of "Top Dog"...  if you didn't have a CR5 or KX5...  then you got your butt handed to you.  The main Comp hill was mediocre this weekend since Halloween weekend will be the first big get together.  But, I still smoked everything there except some LS1 rails and one straight line drag banshee.  Nothing quite like wheeling up a 600 foot sand dune in 4th gear passing YZ450F's, CRF450's, KTM450's&525's, not to mention the comparable couch's on four wheels.
   Gotta love the KX5.

Sly

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 10:59:26 PM »
See the 450 four strokes are getting up there in horse power,around the 54 HP mark with good power delivery,lite too.

What are your thoughts on the hungry four stroke wolf thats climbing the hill,will the K5 be knocked off its perch in standard form sooner than later ?

Read this:
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,2496.0.html

I have also had my 500 out on the MX track, and honestly speaking, charging the main straight, (traction being ample), there is currently NOTHING that can overcome the brutal power of a 500 2 stroke, but again traction NEEDS to be excellent for a 2 stroke to work. Once conditions get soft and loomy, the 4 strokes have a far better advantage.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 08:10:59 AM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline kiwikx500

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 06:45:05 AM »
"To be old and wise, you must have been young and stupid" - Like that 1!

Kool thread of yours,1 thing that could be said to silence a 450 dreamer is that old green beast of mine over there is the equivalent to a 1000cc 4 stroke lolol - Twice as much firing Power - YEE HAA
1990 KX 500

Offline kx666

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 11:13:27 AM »
i draged a GSX-R 600 a few years back with my k5. lets just say i had to get mid-way into 4th gear before he passed me. at thet time the GSX-R600 was the quickest bike... :evil:

i dont ride my k5 on the street anymore. last time it was on the St. i ended up at the county hotel :x

Offline YUNGGUNNAZ

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 01:23:33 PM »
i will agree with you all.we had a rain out the past weekend and my son's friends are national flattrack guys with the big harley's and the crf450's.well i talked the track guy into letting my son run the k5 against the crf450.walked away from him on 400ft track.the guy could not believe it.he told me his dyno'ed at 67 rwhp.great guys.he's buying a dyno for his team and told me i can use it when its ready.my son says "you need to ride it to feel the top end pull".yeah right!

Offline PurPorc

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 11:29:42 PM »
Has anyone ever seen this beast?

It is built by Maico in Germany:

http://www.koestler-bikeworld.de/english.html

go to 'Maico new vehicles' under 'categories'

This is the site of the importer for the US:

http://www.atkusa.com/ProductsIntimidator.aspx

You can find detailed specifications here:

http://www.motorbikes.be/en/Maico_685_Supermoto_Special_Edition_2003.aspx

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Bye bye 4 strokes

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 01:29:36 AM »
700cc 2-Stroke would rule but 10,000 for a dirt bike is crazy. ATK makes a nice custom bike that is built here in the US. Keep it three months and ride it and you could not sell it for 4,500.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline PurPorc

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 01:41:53 AM »
No, no, you're absolutely right, it is waaaaay to much.

Just thought i'd mention it.
 :-D

eprovenzano

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 02:52:22 AM »
No, I don't have the king K5, but I run its sibling, the green 250.  We were riding the trails, and a friend had a YZF450.  He thought he was top dog...  until I continually showed him up on the hill climbs.  After I showed him up, he asked to try the green beast...  What he didn't know is I've regeared to my liking, dropped a tooth in the front, and added 2 in the rear.  The bike is like a tractor...  He almost flipped it the 1st time up the hill...  after that he glided up on one wheel...  He couldn't believe a 2 smoker, a 250 to boot (that's 7 years old), could do things better than his 450.  Not to mention he has a whole lot more cash invested then I do...  And mine is cheaper to maintain....

« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 11:10:02 AM by eprovenzano »

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 03:07:43 AM »
I read about that 700cc beast, but heard it was a dog, due to the mass size of the cylinder, it was all lowdown torque(booo!) and a pain to start.

I am going to put my doubts on the KX,CR,YZ,RM500's being outdone powerwise as the EPA is coming in strong on the off-road community and there is only so much they can do without killing power.. I've got to admit that 4strokes are coming a long way, but when it is making the power stroke 2 times faster than a 4st.. that's hard to beat. Time will tell.

Offline kiwikx500

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 08:08:52 AM »
Nice looking bike the 700,more styley than anything out of europe.
Cheers for the link did not know they made 2 stroke dirt bikes that big in capacity.
Hard enough getting traction at times with the dirty5 little lone 200 cc more - could be over kill.
The low down power sounds fun to me though.

Bit of a try hard name the intimidator loololl my 5 is yelling from the garage BRING IT ON (once my coil arrives lololl) !

1990 KX 500

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 08:19:00 AM »
ATK are built in the USA?? With Germen engines. ????????
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com