Author Topic: ATF as Gear Lube  (Read 129807 times)

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
Re: ATF as Gear Lube
« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2011, 10:00:42 AM »
if i had any doubts about the oil i use then trust me, i would use something different. i do not run the baja 1000 on my bike so i see no need to use $20.00 a quart oil in my tranny. i should have known better than to input on this thread. excuse me, i need to go beat my head on the garage wall.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 10:06:07 AM by maddoggy »

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #136 on: May 05, 2011, 10:04:15 AM »
No offence to that picture, you, or sandblaster... As im not trying to argue, just pointing one thing out....,.. And that is... That photo proves nothing... It doesnt show were the K5 trannys wear...

You could have been running Laquor thinner, bleach, Canola oil.. etc and that case would still look like that... ..
(Bleach will actually out perform most oils in the Bearing load test)

Got to watch the Car trannys etc that run it... alot of them, the gears are cut differant...  ;) 

And as a point many have brought up...   Woods guys, low miles guys, will never have an issue with ATF...   

I have yet to meet a desert racer that runs it...  me included...
Think Tom Put it best...   

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on running ATF in their gearbox. If someone is happy with the performance of ATF in their gearbox, and they have had good success with reliability, then they should keep using it.

The perspective I take on running ATF is that it has been around long before the KX500 came along, and if the engineers that designed these transmissions would've thought that there was any advantage to running ATF, I would think they would've recommended it. Additionally if running ATF in the KX500 would increase the mean time between failures, I'm sure the factory race teams would've run this in the bikes racing the Baja 1000. A professional racer racing these bikes in the heat for a 1000 miles is tough on parts, and most peoples machine will never endure these conditions. With the racing community I used to be involved with it was common practice for a lot of us to race two to three times a month, some months racking up 300 to 400 off road between practice and racing, and gearbox problems were extremely rare. I didn't know anyone running ATF. 

are you serious? gears in a car are cut different? i had no idea.

Why do you think thre is Hypoid oil, HP oil, and regular gear oil...    The way the gear Wipes across itself changes the way the oil works....  Minor changes to gear tooth profile does alot of things.

My Old triumphs need HP oil, because they will wipe themselfs clean if you ran anything else.. so the Higher pressure aditives are needed to keep some film strength there..

Im leaving to go to the desert In 10min... when I get back, Ill take some HIGH REZ pictures of a old triumph gear, vs a K5 gear.... Lots of differances in tooth profile..
that photo of sandblasters is not what i was refering to. i was speaking about the facts he pointed out about the trannies he has torn down. no need to prove anything about gears to me. i was being sarcastic. i have seen more gears in my short life than most of you will in a lifetime. use whatever oil you want, i matters not to me. i use what i have proven to work for my application and that is all i need.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 10:08:07 AM by maddoggy »

Motorrad

« Reply #137 on: May 05, 2011, 10:06:46 AM »
if i had any doubts about the oil i use then trust me, i would use something different. i do not run the baja 1000 on my bike so i see no need to use $20.00 a quart oil in my tranny. i should have known better than to input on this thread. excuse be, i need to go beat my head on the garage wall.

Maddoggy... I wasn't trying to argue with you, or say your wrong in any way... Just having a Gentlemanly conversation for the further benefit of everyone.. more facts out there, the more educated decision someone else can make one way or the other....
One of which is the picture of the cases shows nothing of wear, miles, load, etc... 

Like I said before... Ill plow 200miles in a weekend...   Little different than most people...

Offline mdw471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2011, 11:37:33 AM »
For whatever anyone thinks/believes this might be worth....

A few years ago I had the chance to corner an oil 'expert'. It was great. He was extremely practical about the mechanics of oil.

When I brought up motorcycles, he brought up airplanes! Pointing out that airplanes, automobiles, and motorcycles typically operate at three different RPM ranges. His point was that oils are designed/formulated to withstand different 'shear' stresses...the oil is worked differently in 3200 - 4500 - 10000 RPM motors.

Mark
for more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike, www.wolbrinkrace.blogspot.com

Offline sniper1

« Reply #139 on: May 05, 2011, 11:52:37 AM »
         An automatic transmission has planetaries not gears and uses fluid pressure to apply pressure to the disks so it seems like putting atf in a manual transmission would be more like putting it in a 2 stroke tranny.

I don't want to insult anyone or flame anyone so I'm just asking here and while my riding ability is above average my mechanical skills are fairly weak but I have owned a couple 500 and 600hp twin turbo 7.3 trucks and had 3 trannys go out when truck pulling then finally purchased a 7k ATS transmission so I am more familiar with the truck trannys. The ford trannys pre 03 had aluminum planetaries and when they got hot the grooves would fail since they were on steel input intermediate and output shafts but ford fixed that and ATS uses all billet planetaries and shafts so no problems.

My truck I just sold and this shows start to finish everything painted plated or polished even the frame and axle housings even springs were powdercoated and 4.10 gears front and back locker in back tru-trac in front best of everything.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/549551609pmDqVO

Just an old guy that enjoys going fast, I was in the army for 6 years and bought my first K5 when I returned from basic training. I raced a yz60 from age 6 to 8  a kx80 from 8 to 12  a kx125 from 12-17 intermediate class on k5 which I've owned 3.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #140 on: May 26, 2011, 06:01:09 PM »
Hey Martin,
If your motor is apart polish the channels. For the shift forks a.d the shift forks their eels and run slick 50 though.

I have a few very good friends from the south.  I'm pretty sure the translation is:

"Completely Polish the drive shaft and the out put shaft. 
 Polish the inside of the gears (where they ride on the drive shaft and the output shaft) , and the shift forks themselves, and their ends. 
 Put the engine together with Slick 50 instead of just motor oil "

:-D
 Tuck\o/ 
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline fraz83

« Reply #141 on: July 18, 2011, 08:16:46 AM »
Well im trying to old atf in the gear box.. im kind of sick of spending 25bucks on a quart of oil.. im just wondering if it would be better to use the type f insted of the regular stardard aft .. i havnt taken it for a ride yet but i noticed right away that the clutch is alot more easier to pull now ..01 kx523

Offline 454SS

« Reply #142 on: July 18, 2011, 08:49:10 AM »
I would use type f( I have for decades).  Change often. 

Offline fraz83

« Reply #143 on: July 18, 2011, 09:01:44 AM »
i wonder if i should change that out right now then.. or wait after a ride ..

Offline 454SS

« Reply #144 on: July 18, 2011, 09:32:30 AM »
When I started using ATF, I was told only to use type f.  Never inquired why though, sorry.

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #145 on: July 19, 2011, 06:47:43 AM »
I like the newer oem synthetic's , or b&m trick shift.
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline fraz83

« Reply #146 on: July 25, 2011, 06:41:37 AM »
i went for the first ride yesterday using the atf type f . it was about 20c out and i noticed the bike was really hot after about 45 min of riding.. Im trying 50/50 motul and atf type f today to see if theres a difference

Offline fraz83

« Reply #147 on: July 25, 2011, 10:23:46 AM »
we will see the outcome today when i go riding again

Offline turdle

« Reply #148 on: July 27, 2011, 03:04:56 PM »
something i just came across, every body.  motocross and offroad : performance hand book.  by Eric Gorr.  pg. 193 

Offline fraz83

« Reply #149 on: July 27, 2011, 03:22:02 PM »
you gotta link or something like that ..