Author Topic: ATF as Gear Lube  (Read 129846 times)

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: ATF as Gear Lube
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2009, 09:58:19 PM »
 Congrats on the new bike K5,
  and more than you wanted to know about Tranny Fluid,
 Here Ya go
http://www.cartechbooks.com/vstore/showdetl.cfm?st=0&st2=0&st3=0&CATID=21&Product_ID=3578&DID=6

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:MOuG-7WUyIkJ:www.phillips66lubricants.com/NR/rdonlyres/FD1D5749-16F1-48C6-852D-FFD6FEAF7E71/0/ATF.pdf+atf-f&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us&client=firefox-a

And yes, Wally-World has transmission fluid in the automotive section usually on the Backside of the motor oil isle,
along with the grease, funnels and antifreeze/coolant.  :-)
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

k5power

« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2009, 03:56:23 AM »
Thanks guys assumed they would but figured id ask before taking the trip.

Offline Viston

« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2009, 04:35:04 AM »
Over the years, there have been a confusing array of different ATF types and specifications. Make sure the replacement fluid meets or exceeds all OEM requirements. Using the wrong type of fluid may cause transmission problems and damage.

Type F -- Introduced by Ford in 1967 for their automatics. Also used by Toyota.

Type CJ -- Special fluid for Ford C6 transmissions. Similar to Dexron II. Must not be used in automatics that require Type F. Can be replaced with Mercon or Mercon V.

Type H -- Another limited Ford spec that differs from both Dexron and Type F. Can be replaced with Mercon or Mercon V.

Mercon -- Ford fluid introduced in 1987, very similar to Dexron II. Okay for all earlier Fords except those that require Type F. As of July 1, 2007, the production and licensing of Mercon ATF by Ford ends. Ford says applications that require Mercon ATF can now be serviced with Mercon V.

Mercon V -- Ford's newest type, introduced in 1997 for Ranger, Explorer V6 and Aerostar, and 1998 & up Windstar, Taurus/Sable and Continental. This is the current ATF for all late model Ford products.

Dexron -- General Motors original ATF for automatics.

Dexron II -- Improved GM formula with better viscosity control and additional oxidation inhibitors. Can be used in place of Dexron.

Dexron IIE -- GM fluid for electronic transmissions.

Dexron III -- Replaces Dexron IIE and adds improved oxidation and corrosion control in GM electronic automatics.

Dexron III (H) -- Improved version of Dexron III released in 2003.

Dexron III/Saturn -- A special fluid spec for Saturns.

Dexron-VI -- For 2006 GM Hydra-Matic 6L80 6-speed rear-wheel-drive transmissions, can also be used in 2005 transmissions that require Dexron III but is NOT recommended for older transmissions or Saturn VUE transmissions.

Chrysler 7176 -- For Chrysler FWD transaxles.

Chrysler 7176D (ATF+2) -- Adds improved cold temperature flow and oxidation resistance. Introduced 1997.

Chrysler 7176E (ATF+3) -- Adds improved shear stability and uses a higher quality base oil. Required for four-speed automatics (do NOT use Dexron or Mercon as a substitute).

Chrysler ATF+4 (ATE) -- Introduced in 1998, ATF+4 is synthetic and replaces the previous ATF+3 fluid. Used primarily for 2000 and 2001 vehicles, it can also be used in earlier Chrysler transmissions (except 1999 and older minivans with 41TE/AE transmission). ATF+3 should continue to be used for 1999 and earlier minivans because of the potential for torque converter shudder during break in.

Probably more information than you wanted and it is also based on automotive related iron not the mighty KX technology.
Pappa Stizzle

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2009, 05:06:53 AM »
Well my first real ride on the KX5 yesterday went very well. The 85w works wonderfully. Smooth shifting, and excellent clutch feel.
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2009, 01:27:29 PM »
    :-D :-D :-D
   Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Jopiz

« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2009, 04:50:32 AM »
My clymer recommends 40w for my bike, can i use 75w or 80w oil without problems?
Any comments about castrol mtx gearoils?

-J

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2009, 06:51:14 AM »
My clymer recommends 40w for my bike, can i use 75w or 80w oil without problems?

-J

The BelRay Gear Saver 85weight I use is similar to standard 40w.
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2009, 07:24:10 AM »
I use type F, and I change every other ride, and my ATF comes out really dark... :?

Offline grumpy

« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2009, 11:37:02 AM »
Good are you running Aluminum clutch plates? Switching to steel will help a lot.

I started using ATF a couple of years ago to clean out my trans/clutch. It smoothed out my shifting, and my clutch quit dragging, so I kept using it. I thought I was due for a new basket until I switched to ATF. I change more often (every other ride) than I was ?normal? oil because ATF is almost free. Not that I know a lot about automatic transmissions, but in my head they are very much like a dirt bikes.

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2009, 04:31:58 AM »
i run only ..  30 wieght non synthtic moter oil  like,,valveoline  my trans looks perfect inside..  i have lots of these transmisions  apart  some of the gears in the k5 trans are not bushed like a car automatic there steel on steel .. i also use clutch kits that have steel plates,,,not aluimnium  like stock.. what does  factory kaw recomend 

Just plain old 10w-30? Should oils marked "energy conserving" be avoided?
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2009, 05:11:14 AM »
Steel plates with man-strength springs! :-D

Offline BasketCase

« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2009, 12:31:43 PM »
I just did my first oil change after switching to ATF and about 3 hours run time, it came out dark as well, but I am attributing that to how well ATF cleans.
Nitrous is like a hot chic with STD's , you know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences.

Offline KX5

« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2009, 12:39:25 AM »
I bought ATF type F but I haven't used it yet because my bike isn't back together, It seems kind of light to me but I was wondering about 5W30? has anyone tried it? It seems like it would shift like ATF but maybe provide a longer time of protection and not break down as easy? I almost bought the royal purple stuff to try it.  Also maybe if you added some Lucas trans slip it would make the ATF a little more sticky

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2009, 02:57:40 AM »

-J

You do not want to use 75/85w auto diff gear oils in the gear box. Motorcycle gear oils are rated diff, The 85w bel-ray gear saver pours like ATF out of the bottle. auto 75/85w oil will be like puring cold syurp. That bel ray gear saver is great stuff but it looks and smells just like ATF and it's even the same color. If ATF can protect a trucks tranny for 50,000 plus miles of hauling boats,trailers,bikes etc then it will have no issue protecting a simple motorcycle gear box. Been using it for a few years with great results.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 03:19:41 AM by hughes »
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Motorrad

« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2009, 04:38:04 AM »
I bought ATF type F but I haven't used it yet because my bike isn't back together, It seems kind of light to me but I was wondering about 5W30? has anyone tried it? It seems like it would shift like ATF but maybe provide a longer time of protection and not break down as easy? I almost bought the royal purple stuff to try it.  Also maybe if you added some Lucas trans slip it would make the ATF a little more sticky
Never use synthetic ATF in bikes it makes the clutch plates swell.  Absolutly no additives of any kind either.   Just dextron 3 according to Gas Gas.  I still don't run ATF in the I'd though tranny is not for it