Author Topic: ATF as Gear Lube  (Read 129701 times)

Offline Good

• Yo.
Re: ATF as Gear Lube
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2008, 04:00:52 PM »
Thanx for all the help guys!!!  Much appreciated! :-D

I'll do these mods, and sorry for the thread hijack.  :oops:

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2008, 04:46:19 AM »
 Bought some type F. Ready to try it out on my k5 and 250. I have trouble with them both, when I want to shift to neutral. They want to go 2nd to first , first back to second, I can hardly get them into neutral without killing the motor. The 250 wants to go to neutral only when I don't. My engine builder said he puts a stronger spring in them to hold them in gear better, so maybe thats the deal. My size 13's have no trouble shifting thru the gears otherwise, but I'm hoping the ATF is going to be the trick. I 'm also kinda hoping to get a few more r's out of them, as it seems the motor would run a little more free.
  PS. Noone else I've talked to has ever heard of using it in anything, but 50 auto's. Dare to be different, I'll let you know of the results.
  Results update. Shifts smoother, goes into neutral easy. I only put  it into the 250. The 500 will be getting it for next race. It likes to pull some when in gear and clutch is in. We'll see if it helps that too.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 04:59:09 AM by Hillclimb#42 »

Offline Hillclimb#42

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2008, 12:04:24 AM »
 Thumbs down to the ATF. I tried it in both bikes, 250 and 500. Both bikes have had trouble with tranny. (Transmission not a he-she  :lol:) I had the 250 try to seize and the 500 actually did. My kx tech said that the kx stock clutch plates are aluminum and that causes alot of oil contamination. That the transmission in a kx needs oil changed alot to minimize problems along with changing to steel plates. The gears can actually seize right on the shaft without proper lubrication. Too coincidental for me to think the atf had no part it in it.
  The 250 was stuck in gear after a crash, and eventually freed itself. The 500 seized while warming it up, staging for a near vertical hill climb. I was in neutral giving the Waaang, bang, bang, bang.... then screech. She lurched forward and died all the while in neutral. I could only push it around if I pulled in the clutch lever. Cost 225 to split cases and fix it. Thats enough experimenting for me with that. Also would like to add the note, Stewart is not an ATF fan. Wish I would have noticed that before hand. Well back to 10w30 for me.

Offline Jeeks

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2008, 01:05:42 AM »
How often did you change the tranny fluid?

I've been using ATF in my KX250's since 98 and have not had one iota of a problem.  I'm pretty hard on the tranny too.  I buy ATF type F by the case and change it about every 2-3 rides which calculates to about 5 hours of running time.

If you changed from 10-30 to ATF, you should have changed it on very short intervals to clean out the residual 10-30 before running the ATF for any long period of time.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 01:10:32 AM by Jeeks »
2000 KX250 x2
1975 Z1-900

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2008, 02:53:45 AM »
Bought some type F. Ready to try it out on my k5 and 250. I have trouble with them both, when I want to shift to neutral. They want to go 2nd to first , first back to second, I can hardly get them into neutral without killing the motor. The 250 wants to go to neutral only when I don't. My engine builder said he puts a stronger spring in them to hold them in gear better, so maybe thats the deal. My size 13's have no trouble shifting thru the gears otherwise, but I'm hoping the ATF is going to be the trick. I 'm also kinda hoping to get a few more r's out of them, as it seems the motor would run a little more free.
  PS. Noone else I've talked to has ever heard of using it in anything, but 50 auto's. Dare to be different, I'll let you know of the results.
  Results update. Shifts smoother, goes into neutral easy. I only put  it into the 250. The 500 will be getting it for next race. It likes to pull some when in gear and clutch is in. We'll see if it helps that too.

From reading this post it appears you had issues already inside your tranny other than the spring that the engine builder may have installed. ATF didn't cause your failure.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Hillclimb#42

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2008, 02:49:25 PM »
Maybe not, but the gear did seize on the shaft, and I changed every time I rode more than an hour, and every other hill climb. Same when I ran the oil. My guy said it was full of crap, and I had less than 20 hours on the bike since complete rebuild. I'm actually shocked at the results myself. I personally also saw a heavy coating of carbon on top of piston. We run 6 bikes on the same fuel with no carbon after a year or two of riding. Its jetted stock and runs awesome. My kx expert gave me the same lecture of changing oil frequently, and didn't really say ATF was bad, just that motorcycle transmission oil is better. And he's the one who had to press the gear off the rod or whatever.
  I could use the same arguement that I have ran oil for several years with no transmission trouble. And I do not know if it was already there or if it was the mixing of the two. It just seems hard to imagine that it works so much better and seized on the shaft after putting probably the third or fourth qt in it since swapping, It could also be the type of racing that I'm doing. Warm up, pin it for 4-12 seconds and park it. I doubt that many of your rides are that way. It would no doubt do my bikes a favor to ride them longer.
  Noone else had transmission problems or did and think its from something else other than trans lube?

Offline Jeeks

« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2008, 01:41:17 PM »
You hillclimbers are supposed to be on the forefront of invention.  :-D

Maybe have the tranny/gear/shaft modified to accept a oil grooved bushing or even a roiller bearing?  :?
2000 KX250 x2
1975 Z1-900

Offline holeshot buddy

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2008, 12:21:12 AM »
atf in general is a good oil for gearboxes
and clutches 8-)
you must change it every ride if
you have alloy plates in clutch
the only negative i have seen
is long term use wear on gears and shafts
the hardening goes off them :-o
but it is long term
i also have a yz465h and i can only run it on atf
or the clutch slips :cry:
wave to me when i lap you

Offline Hillclimb#42

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2008, 08:35:18 AM »
My guy did mention that the aluminum plates will contaminate a transmission and that he would always run steels. Hillclimbers may have to be on the forefront of invention, and thats why I get on here to add to the pool of info. I still have to have work farmed out to stay in the realm of reasonable risk. I could start o-ringing heads or splitting cases and working on transmissions, but that is a risky endeavor when I have no experience with these things and a race most weekends. I just want to know what my guy is basically doing when I drop off my motor. I don't want to just tell him to do whatever it takes to fix it. Its my understanding that the gears don't have bushings or grooved for lube, but is a rare problem that I had. Its scary though to have that squeal, while in neutral and then all locked up like that.
  What about a way to flush debris and goop from transmission? Would it help clean it to drain after the motor is warmed up? or lay the bike over for say 10-15 mins?

Offline BDI

« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2008, 09:38:25 AM »
I ran aluminum plates in my k5 for years and years with no problems at all. The only thing I can really say about the aluminum plates being bad is they wear faster then the fiber plates. Other then that they have less rotational mass and they don't wear out the clutch hub. Steel plates are very clutch hub hungry and add 65% more weight ( over the aluminum plates)to the clutch.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 10:49:38 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline bigbellybob

« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2008, 10:14:52 AM »
the fact that the alloy wears fast is why they contaminate the fluid so fast. its going to get the 10-30 contaminated just as fast as the ATF. i was a the guy that would never run anything in my bike but 80w wet clutch gear oil. after running B&M trick shift full syn there is no going back. i always had problem shifting through neutral. after the switch shifting seems smoother and i have not accidentally hit neutral. it also seemed to free up some extra pony's. i recently watched a 5.0 mustang go low 10 looking into the 9's with a T5 transmission filled with AFT that sealed the deal for me.
IF RIDING IS OUTLAWED ONLY OUTLAWS WILL RIDE

sponsor
http://www.steelmx.com/

Offline BDI

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2008, 10:24:44 AM »
I still do the 80wt thing but after many, many years of good luck with it I'm scared to try something else. My trany is a very expensive and trustworthy partner in my life. I don't feel the need to go experimenting with it. I can't recall ever losing a race and saying, d**n it if only I had different tranny oil.  I have conciderd using mobile one full synthetic gear oil like you would put in the rear diff of a car or truck but I'm not sure if it would be clutch compatible.I havn't even done the research It was one of those passing thoughts.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 10:35:06 AM by BDI »

Offline bigbellybob

« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2008, 10:35:47 AM »
I can't recal ever losing a race and saying, d**n it if only I had different tranny oil.

i say that looking back at times i hit neutral. besides you would have to lose a race first before you could say that

I personally also saw a heavy coating of carbon on top of piston.
are you contributing that to ATF in the gear box?

sponsor
http://www.steelmx.com/

Offline BDI

« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2008, 10:59:41 AM »
Come on Bob I lose races some times. Rick beat me by a whole tire last time we were at the dunes. :-D

stewart

« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2008, 11:56:03 AM »
i run only ..  30 wieght non synthtic moter oil  like,,valveoline  my trans looks perfect inside..  i have lots of these transmisions  apart  some of the gears in the k5 trans are not bushed like a car automatic there steel on steel .. i also use clutch kits that have steel plates,,,not aluimnium  like stock.. what does  factory kaw recomend