Author Topic: ATF as Gear Lube  (Read 129697 times)

Offline alexander-vmann

Re: ATF as Gear Lube
« Reply #165 on: June 28, 2015, 11:29:15 PM »
Yes, 4T Tranny oil would be just fine.
i figured so being that the 4t oil is made for both motor and tranny, but how often do you thing it needs changing?
KX 500 newbie

my bike: 1993 kx500

Offline umberto

• Administrator
  • First Ride 02-02-19
« Reply #166 on: June 29, 2015, 06:37:20 AM »
Most guys will tell you more often is better.  I would shoot for every 4-6 hours, or more often if you are a clutch abuser or go on a hard ride.  Oil is cheap compared to the things it's protecting.  :-)
Perhaps I have a dirt bike addiction?

03 KX 250/88 KX 525/2017 KX250F - Goliath
17 KX250F/04 KX250
04 KX 250 - Lunchbox's Bike
05 KX 125/144

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #167 on: June 29, 2015, 08:05:38 AM »
but how often do you thing it needs changing?

depending on how long of a ride I'll do in one day, I'll change mine between every ride, to every other ride....that's why I had that 2 stage drain plug made...constantly changing it.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #168 on: June 30, 2015, 05:16:52 AM »
but how often do you thing it needs changing?

depending on how long of a ride I'll do in one day, I'll change mine between every ride, to every other ride....that's why I had that 2 stage drain plug made...constantly changing it.
any chance i can buy one of those drain plugs?
KX 500 newbie

my bike: 1993 kx500

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #169 on: June 30, 2015, 07:19:41 AM »
unless you're gonna be running aluminum plates like me...you shouldn't have to change it as often as I do.
it's simple enough to make one, providing you or someone you know has access to a nice stable drill press, and M6 tap....just need to go slow when drilling, with lots of lube.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline brooksie

« Reply #170 on: October 07, 2015, 01:51:41 AM »
Only used ATF in a bike once. In a brand new bike, with less than 30hrs use, every bearing in the transmission was toast. The rollers in one bearing were so badly worn, it would only rotate in one direction. The oil was changed every 3hrs or less. Costly experience. Won't happen again.

Offline b4himdude

• You gotta love to tinker
« Reply #171 on: August 28, 2016, 10:17:09 PM »
ive been experiencing hard shift lately when going from 3rd to 4th. so i tried changing the clutch shift pin  the plates the external shift mechanism the gear drum shift drum transmission forks pins and not once did i think it was the transmission lubricant that i was using could cause hard shifting.but now that ive read this thread it all seems to point at the lubricant being the culprit. it takes a minute for the 10/40 synthetic lucas high performance  motorcycle oil to thin out and of i were to putt putt around for a good ten minutes i bet i wouldnt experience that hard shift. but i cant friggen stand not being able to shoot through a 1 down 4 up pattern with my left foot as fast as i can when distance allows for it. im putting atf in the case as soon as i get off work today. i think ill center the oil pan and pull the plug before i go . i hope im done with the hard shift crap , . because quite frankly i think im out of things to replace other than the lubricant...
hell ,i,m so broke . if it cost a nickle to take a s**t, id have to puke.....

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #172 on: August 29, 2016, 02:04:25 AM »
Well... there is some huge battles raging about oils so let me step in and stir this turd pot and see where it leads..
Before I switched to Amsoil I use to run ATF once a year or so to clean out the gear box.
It did help with shifting.
Since switching to Amsoil 3 years ago I have not had to do it once.
While running ATF is inexpensive and will help clean your trans out I don't feel as though it provides enough of the correct lubrication you need for longevity.
If it were me, I would run the ATF for one ride then switch to a different gear oil.
Amsoil Motorcycle 10/40 synthetic seems to work pretty good.
Recently I saw a engine that has been running Royal Purple Synthetic and it was one of the cleanest engines I have ever taken apart so I may switch to it with my next oil change.
And of course there are a million others.
So let the raging begin  :-D  8-)
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #173 on: August 29, 2016, 06:24:32 AM »
yup...I've been running Amsoil the past 2 years...very happy with it...but I change my oil more than most too.
I used to spend stupid money on GearSaver....though I never had an issue with it, I'll never use it again, unless it's an emergency of course.

Offline b4himdude

« Reply #174 on: August 29, 2016, 02:48:10 PM »
Well s.b if that's the turd you're stirrin' then poop is good food. I'll have to run the ATF a couple more times just to douche that m'er f'er out real good. All I can say is that it had to be the synthetic mixed with residual conventional eventually gumming up the works in there. I think the atf needs to spend a few hours in there yet. It was one hell of an improvement. I didn't have to be the guy out there cussing at his dust cloud heading home out of ideas what to tear apart today. The only thing I can share with you guys here is a list of what not to use , do , or try in relation to the bike I fell in love with the first time I ride it. Who distributes amsoil? Dies Napa carry it? Where the bleep to I find the stuff you're using? Oh Nevermind ....EBAY! Now what is the product exactly called, weight ?viscosity?synthetic ? high performance ? The please and the thank you....

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #175 on: August 29, 2016, 04:05:09 PM »

I get mine at Coastal Farms  :lol:
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline alward25

« Reply #176 on: August 30, 2016, 12:57:02 AM »
I use the Amsoil Dirtbike 10w-60
"Let there be light"

Offline b4himdude

« Reply #177 on: August 30, 2016, 02:01:54 AM »
Thank you that's what I needed perfect . And about that lighting system AL25. I know it's quite pricey but if I were to take that hit in the pocketbook then I'd be riding my k5 at night? No problem?

Offline dave916

« Reply #178 on: February 13, 2017, 01:14:09 AM »
Well... there is some huge battles raging about oils so let me step in and stir this turd pot and see where it leads..
Before I switched to Amsoil I use to run ATF once a year or so to clean out the gear box.
It did help with shifting.
Since switching to Amsoil 3 years ago I have not had to do it once.
While running ATF is inexpensive and will help clean your trans out I don't feel as though it provides enough of the correct lubrication you need for longevity.
If it were me, I would run the ATF for one ride then switch to a different gear oil.
Amsoil Motorcycle 10/40 synthetic seems to work pretty good.
Recently I saw a engine that has been running Royal Purple Synthetic and it was one of the cleanest engines I have ever taken apart so I may switch to it with my next oil change.
And of course there are a million others.
So let the raging begin  :-D  8-)

CORRECT
  75/85 GL4 {most motorcycle gear oils }  or 5/30w engine  would be my choice / any thing higher spec {eg gl5 } is not good for the yellow metals in gearbox

http://www.gtfours.co.uk/what/atf/atf.htm

Offline b4himdude

« Reply #179 on: February 15, 2017, 12:38:34 PM »
I ran the atf for a week or so. Then I found a local amsoil dealer who is able to get the "dirt" 10/40 motorcycle oil. Have had no trouble at all with it. Other than its expensive as hell. So it gets drained in the clean pan and gets used again. Yes it does.