Author Topic: ATF as Gear Lube  (Read 129694 times)

Offline alward25

Re: ATF as Gear Lube
« Reply #151 on: July 27, 2011, 04:27:03 PM »
That link has some good basic info.  They talk about using ATF for better clutch engagement but,  if 3rd gear is weak I would rather run a oil that would better hold up and protect the shift forks and gears better if that is the weak link in the tranny. 
"Let there be light"

Offline turdle

« Reply #152 on: July 27, 2011, 04:34:30 PM »
the gear is not weak,  they said it wears quicker because its used the most and takes the hardest hit from the  brutal k5

Offline 454SS

« Reply #153 on: July 28, 2011, 02:18:41 AM »
Wouldn't the 3rd gear wear depend on where and how you ride?  East coast enduros would wear that gear less than a west coast desert rider for example. 

Offline turdle

« Reply #154 on: July 29, 2011, 12:29:17 AM »
you are right 454SS.  EGorr is probably refer to his trannies, and his  type of riding. like your user name, do you own one, what year, model. i had a 70 SS396 4 speed.

Offline 454SS

« Reply #155 on: July 29, 2011, 07:06:31 AM »
As mentioned before, we've used Type-F for many years and numerous bikes with no ill affects.  Many of these bikes were mostly race bikes that put in a 17 enduro season along with some hare scrambles and multi-day dual sports.  But the hesitance is understandable.

I have a 90 454SS truck.  Would love to have almost any year\motor configuration of a chevelle\camaro of that generation!

Offline turdle

« Reply #156 on: August 18, 2011, 02:50:59 AM »
         An automatic transmission has planetaries not gears and uses fluid pressure to apply pressure to the disks so it seems like putting atf in a manual transmission would be more like putting it in a 2 stroke tranny.

I don't want to insult anyone or flame anyone so I'm just asking here and while my riding ability is above average my mechanical skills are fairly weak but I have owned a couple 500 and 600hp twin turbo 7.3 trucks and had 3 trannys go out when truck pulling then finally purchased a 7k ATS transmission so I am more familiar with the truck trannys. The ford trannys pre 03 had aluminum planetaries and when they got hot the grooves would fail since they were on steel input intermediate and output shafts but ford fixed that and ATS uses all billet planetaries and shafts so no problems.

My truck I just sold and this shows start to finish everything painted plated or polished even the frame and axle housings even springs were powdercoated and 4.10 gears front and back locker in back tru-trac in front best of everything.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/549551609pmDqVO

[/UR

i dont mean to be rude, but i believe planetaries is short for PLANETARY GEAR SET, which has straight cut gears, same as our dirt bike trannies. which in an auto  trans is driven by a WET CLUTCH SYSTEM simular to the  trannies in motorcycles. i am no expert by any means, but logic tells me that if the auto trannies use atf for the wet clutch drive system in them . it should be excellent for our trannies.a big  question is gear shear, but i think motorad said that bleach has a better shear value. just some more thoughts to throw in the mix.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 02:55:20 AM by turdle »

Offline kelcrist

« Reply #157 on: August 30, 2011, 04:57:14 PM »
i love this thread!!! everyone trying to convince everyone else why the oil they prefer is best!!!!

there is only one way to tell if atf is better or worse than the recommended 10w40

you would take 2 brand new never ridden kx500s,  fill one with atf and the other with oil.
now run them under identical conditions until failure and see who wins.       

just because you put ANY brand of oil in ANY bike and then 2 hours later you blow the trans, or clutch probably doesnt mean that oil caused your failure.   

i run atf in my 94.  i think it is the main reason i made it back to camp when i burned up my clutch at the dunes.     at low rpm the plates would grab and pull me up hills but it would let go when the engine wound up. it was 95 degress out,  and i had a 10 scoop paddle tire.  when i did get back to camp i dumped the atf and i put in oil.   the bike lost all forward drive completely.  when i pulled the bike apart i took out what im pretty sure was the original clutch with the aluminum plates.   there were grooves in each plate 1-2 mm deep.    that was not ATFs fault in my opinion.  now of course i know what some of you will say...........how do you know its the original clutch..  ........well i dont!!!   ive had this bike 9 months. but i have taken apart a lot of bikes and its not hard to tell when something has been apart and has not.     
i now have a new tusk racing clutch in with a fresh batch of atf  and it works quite well. i like how my particular bike shifts with the atf so i continue to use it.

so there is yet another pretty useless testimonial for ATF over the manufacturer recommended lubricant.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #158 on: January 28, 2012, 02:12:15 AM »
I don't understand why some people get their panties all up in a bunch over  oils .

When was the last time the AVERAGE weekend rider blew his tranny from running the incorrect type of oil ? You're not going to blow a tranny from running 90wt gear oil instead of ATF and your,e not going to blow your tranny from running ATF instead of 90wt gear oil.. However you will possibly notice subtle differences in  clutch performance especially after the plates heat up. The OTHER function of your trans oil is to keep the clutch plates cool and not burn. The smaller the engine, the more critical the choice becomes as clutch abuse get much greater on a KX85 vs a KX500 .  I tend to stay away from thicker viscosity oils as the clutch plates tend to swell and fade under elevated abuse. When I was racing 125's I gained a lot of respect for Spectro Clutch Saver SX . Seemed to do a great job at minimizing clutch fade vs. multi viscosity oils .   Recently I tossed in a qt of 10w40  Castrol MC oil in my KX500, and I didn't notice a bit of difference. So my .02 is run whatever you're comfortable with , don't argue with other peoples oil preferences, and always remember..... "any oil is better than no oil"    :-D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 04:37:02 AM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Big Yac

« Reply #159 on: January 28, 2012, 03:08:14 AM »
I don't understand why some people get their panties all up in a bunch over  oils .

When was the last time the AVERAGE weekend rider blew his tranny from running the incorrect type of oil ? You're not going to blow a tranny from running 90wt gear oil instead of ATF and your,e not going to blow your tranny from running ATF instead of 90wt gear oil.. However you will possibly notice subtile differences in  clutch performance especially after the pleates heat up. The OTHER function of your trans oil is to keep the clutch plates cool and not burn. The smaller the engine, the more critical the choice becomes as clutch abuse get much greater on a KX85 vs a KX500 .  I tend to stay away from thicker viscosity oils as the clutch plates tend to swell and fade under elevated abuse. When I was racing 125's I gained a lot of respect for Spectro Clutch Saver SX . Seemed to do a great job at minimising clutch fade vs. multi viscosity oils .   Recently I tossed in a qt of 10w40  Castrol MC oil in my KX500, and I didn't notice a bit of dirfference. So my .02 is run whatever you're comfortable with , don't argue with other peoples oil preferences, and always remember..... "any oil is better than no oil"    :-D

and change it often     :-D

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #160 on: January 28, 2012, 05:07:34 PM »
Oatmeal. Snoqualmie Falls oatmeal. Mixed with non-pasturized milk. Change it once a month. Eat it. Has more minerals in it from clutch and disk wear. Never had a problem, better shifting. Really. No kidding. Smells good too!
Have to see controlled tests on oil types to validate wear on parts to have oils tried and "looks good". Anything else is an opinion only. Had a friend that said sniffing gas was not harmful. Well, not for a few years anyway...
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline dieselbeef

« Reply #161 on: May 15, 2012, 03:24:00 AM »

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #162 on: July 09, 2012, 01:18:29 PM »
Funny you should mention that! A shop I worked in got a case of free test kits to send in for our "fleet" vehicles. Not sure any got used for the "fleet" vehicles but they were sure nice to have!
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #163 on: June 27, 2015, 07:29:01 AM »
i got a can of 4 stroke motor oil and wondering if it is safe to use in the 2 stroke transmission?
KX 500 newbie

my bike: 1993 kx500

Offline alward25

« Reply #164 on: June 27, 2015, 07:30:34 AM »
Yes, 4T Tranny oil would be just fine.
"Let there be light"