Author Topic: ATF as Gear Lube  (Read 129343 times)

Offline alan

• Administrator
Re: ATF as Gear Lube
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 03:13:39 AM »
I wanted to revive this post! It has some interesting info in and I want to ad to that info and make it a Sticky.

I am going to switch to ATF in all my bikes, because it just makes since!

You may want to read this post about the Amsoil ATF..........

http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/atf_gm_dexron_spec.htm

Alan :-D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline monster malibu

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 04:02:18 AM »
Hey guys, I got my 87 KX500 two moths ago and I noticed the oil level was low when I got it. I told the previous owner I heard about using ATF in my bike, and he just about had a heart attack! I thought the same thing you guys did, ATF works in everything else I drive, why not my bike. I was told NOT to switch to ATF and to keep using what's in the bike now. The bike is running FUCHS Silkolene semi-synthetic ester racing gear oil. WHEN THIS SH%T's gone, I'm switching. If I switch will it bother the clutch, or should I switch when the clutch is cooked? How often should I be dumping the oil, I only ride 3 times a week for a few hours on the trails.

Offline redlined_KX500

• redlined_K5
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 04:26:18 AM »

ATF works awesome in the gearbox.  I run Dextron in mine and change it every other ride.

I believe you'll find the clutch action superb and butter smooth shifting once you get that other garbage out.

My K5 had some kind of fancy bel-ray syn in the gearbox when I first bought it and shifting was terrible.  After a few oil changes and rides its back to what it should be. 800 ml of dex-3 is very cheap as a bonus.

Walter
Don't be scared

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 04:28:03 AM »
I also have been using Silkolene for years, but if it is Gears-Bearings-Clutch Plates, what wouild be better Than ATF? Please someone give me any scientific reason why not?

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline monster malibu

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 05:07:04 AM »
I agree with everyone here Alan, I'm going to use up the last of my Silkolene and go to AFT. Is it possible to overfill the motor with oil?, I filled the bike with oil and the sight glass is full. I had to tip the bike a little to see the oil in the sight glass go down. Will it bother the bike to ride it overfull?

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 05:12:50 AM »
Been using ATF in my 87 500 for the last 3 years with great results. If ATF can lube a transmission in my truck while hauling a boat down the highway at 75 mph I think it will work great in a simple clutch/gear box. I'm should be picking up a 05 yz250 this saturady and first thing the gear box will be drained and ATF added. I change the ATF every other ride. Looks the same color red as it did when I dumped it in the gear box.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 06:01:35 AM by hughes »
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 05:39:52 AM »
 I am no engineer or scientist, but love this site and can't help but give my 2 cents. I think we all agree that ATF is a thinner viscosity than oil. I believe that is so it can be pumped thru an auto transmission. The ATF is continuously pumped and cooled in a car. A standard transmission in a car has 80wt gear oil. I know bikes have simalarities to both, but is closer to the latter. My opinion is that heavier gear oil may cool better and also last longer. Oil's viscosity or thickness breaks down and gets thinner with heat and time. Also in our bikes the clutches are submerged in oil, so any friction disc wear results in fine debris in transmission. It seems logical to me that a heavier oil would overcome this gritty, usually silver, debris longer. It seems like it will all work, if you change every other ride, but I don't change that often. I could be way off, which has happened plenty on here and in plenty of race tech conversations, but I think the oil in transmissions job is to cool all moving parts and to reduce wear to gears and I think heavier oils would stand up against time/abuse/heat better. I think it is possible to run a lighter weight oil in extreme cold and thicker oil in extreme heat, but have not ventured that direction either. On the other hand, no matter what you use, I am sure it is important to change frequently. I like my oil to basically, come out looking like it went in. The oil mixed with clutch debris can gel up around the kick shaft and gear and can cause funky problems if let go too long. (All opinions, No Science) :|

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 01:57:16 PM »
 Thanks Alan for reviving this post. I wanted to post an update. Last year I switched to Dexron in my 04 KX500.  This thing shifts great with Dex, the clutch works great. The best benefit is that  ATF is cheap. I do not feel that ATF will cause any problems and I think that it will not have any reduced cooling effect. Also in extremely hot temperature, I do not think there will be any reduced lubrication.                                                                                                                 Also another update, my experiment of sharpening my kick start gear ratchet teeth has been a great success. My kickstart now works better than it did when new.
   I think this site is so helpful.   Thank you to all who contribute and work at keeping this thing going.    John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline Mhardee

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »
Been running B&M Trick shift in mine since new.. The viscosity argument doesn't hold a lot of water,, The transmission and clutch of a dirtbike is very similar to the clutch packs in an automatic transmission.. They are subject to tremendous heat loads with the thing pretty much slipping all of the time.. Your dirtbike clutch takes nowhere near the beating..

Change it and never look back...

Mark
'03 KX500
AMA
MMC
VSTA

Offline 5dracing

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2007, 02:20:17 AM »
Guys I'm trying the ATF in an old street bike I have. It's an 82 Goldwing. I have noticed smoother shifting, and lower engine temps. I'll try to keep posting info here as I continue using it. This bike has 63,000 miles on it and had a trailer behind it for about 40,000 of those miles. I use this thing like a truck and ride it year round unless the white stuff is on the roads. I did notice a reduction in oil leaking already. It seems that the ATF does something to the gaskets.
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

Emilio

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2007, 05:52:19 AM »
ATF works just fine. I couldn't tell a big differance but I started using it becasue it was alot cheaper and like HUGHES said, if it works in trucks way not in the buke. Atf is a little thin however but maybe adding a ounce of lucas trans could thick it up and help with foaming. O hi everybody just a few words from the new guy. Not to riding and trucks though. :-D

Offline 5dracing

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2007, 05:27:05 AM »
I ran the ATF for about a month or aproximately 2000 miles. Decide to go back to 20-40. The egine leaks seemed to have sealed up (no puddles under the bike after a couple days) and the valve seals seemed to have tightened up (not as much smoke on cold startups). The ATF was very dirty when I took it out looking almost black. I put in the HP4 Honda oil and all seems well. Still ride it everyday except in rain now (its a little colder) and it runs just fine.  I did notice something right away in the shifting of the bike when I went back to oil, I had to make a more positive shift. What I mean is I have to really step down on the shifter (heal toe shifter) and there is more "noise" during the shift than with the ATF. I've had a few false neutrals with the oil also. The outside air temp is lower now than when I made the change so that may have a little to do with it. I may go back to ATF in the winter just to see how it works.

So, until the snow flies I'll be riding.
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2007, 05:46:51 AM »
I ran the ATF for about a month or aproximately 2000 miles. Decide to go back to 20-40. The egine leaks seemed to have sealed up (no puddles under the bike after a couple days) and the valve seals seemed to have tightened up (not as much smoke on cold startups). The ATF was very dirty when I took it out looking almost black. I put in the HP4 Honda oil and all seems well. Still ride it everyday except in rain now (its a little colder) and it runs just fine.  I did notice something right away in the shifting of the bike when I went back to oil, I had to make a more positive shift. What I mean is I have to really step down on the shifter (heal toe shifter) and there is more "noise" during the shift than with the ATF. I've had a few false neutrals with the oil also. The outside air temp is lower now than when I made the change so that may have a little to do with it. I may go back to ATF in the winter just to see how it works.

So, until the snow flies I'll be riding.

After reading your first sentence I realized you are using ATF to lube the gear box and engines crank/pistons/valves. Key word was valve seals  :? ATF works great for gear box/clutch but not to lube the entire engine. Is this correct for what you were using the ATF for? Some motorcycles share the gear box oil with engines crank/pistons/valve train.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline FactoryPhil

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2007, 07:06:16 AM »
Yeah if you are using it in a Goldwing the engine oil lubricates the clutch and trans also. I don't think ATF is an appropriate lubricant for the plain bearing crankshaft in that bike.
It's not if you crash ...it's when
I'm on IRC efnet #mp3addics-chat Mechanos or MechServ

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2007, 08:10:30 AM »
Same kind of bearing that are inside automatic transmissions as well as clutch plates! I am having trouble understanding that logic..........

Alan
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F