Author Topic: ATF as Gear Lube  (Read 129342 times)

Offline KXcam22

ATF as Gear Lube
« on: October 22, 2006, 05:37:58 PM »
My last few rides I have been testing (very unscientifically) different gear oils back-to-back to see if it might make any noticeable difference to the shifting.  Basically 1 ride under the same conditions and terrain with fresh oil.  I never use the clutch to shift.  Lately my 92 has started missing fast 1st to 2nd upshifts.  That was while running my longtime favorite Belray gearsaver.  For a trial I thought I would try out some ATF.  Hughes turned me on to this.  Never in +35 years of dirtbiking have I used ATF in a bike trans. Used it many times as fork oil but NEVER as trans oil.  The result: Today was butter smooth shifting with NO missed shifts all day. Shift effort was noticeable lower. Nice clutch action too.  I ended up using Dextron III.  Looking at old posts I likely should have used type F.  Next test will be some 10W40 then 20W50.  But unless I get a pleasant suprise with the other oils, I will likely end up back using the ATF. Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks.....

I don't know what to think about the ATF. Handles the duties in the transfer case of my 3/4Ton 4x4 truck and every automatic trans around so it must be good at handling friction, lubing clutch packs, lubing bearings and padding meshing gears.  It should have all the right stuff.  Does it?    Cam.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Re: ATF as Gear Lube
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 06:15:32 PM »
I used the same Dexron III in my KX as I used in Mustangs T5. Worked like a charm.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 12:51:55 AM »
My last few rides I have been testing (very unscientifically) different gear oils back-to-back to see if it might make any noticeable difference to the shifting.  Basically 1 ride under the same conditions and terrain with fresh oil.  I never use the clutch to shift.  Lately my 92 has started missing fast 1st to 2nd upshifts.  That was while running my longtime favorite Belray gearsaver.  For a trial I thought I would try out some ATF.  Hughes turned me on to this.  Never in +35 years of dirtbiking have I used ATF in a bike trans. Used it many times as fork oil but NEVER as trans oil.  The result: Today was butter smooth shifting with NO missed shifts all day. Shift effort was noticeable lower. Nice clutch action too.  I ended up using Dextron III.  Looking at old posts I likely should have used type F.  Next test will be some 10W40 then 20W50.  But unless I get a pleasant suprise with the other oils, I will likely end up back using the ATF. Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks.....

I don't know what to think about the ATF. Handles the duties in the transfer case of my 3/4Ton 4x4 truck and every automatic trans around so it must be good at handling friction, lubing clutch packs, lubing bearings and padding meshing gears.  It should have all the right stuff.  Does it?    Cam.

Glade to see you come around. My buddy just traded his yz250 for an kx500 and the first thing we did was fill it with aft type f. I have used it for the last two years or so with great results.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline 5dracing

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 12:56:11 AM »
I used the ATF in my sons 50cc KTMs. They have wet clutches and were gas and go's. The problem with those bikes is the wear of the clutch gunked up the cup washers that changed the clutch engagement point. When I changed to the ATF, less gunk. No Scientific testing here either. I've never tried it in the big bikes.
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 01:03:42 PM »
i used to use the belray gearsaver, and i changed it every ride/race and it would always be almost black, now i'm using just regular castrol 10w40 and change it every ride/race and its the cleanest i've ever seen oil come out my bikes, and i'm saving a butt load of money since I change it so often.
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

Offline kx666

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 01:52:35 PM »
KTM recomends ATF in the small bikes because of its cleaning abilities and it does not break down at very very high RPM (lets just say the cluch does not engage until 5000 RPM)

I was told of a long term effect this would have on big bikes but i cannt remember what is was...mabe an old wisetail?

i think it damaged the cluches on big bikes :?
Domonde Tech has proven to me to be the Sh*t (that is mostly comairing with motors apart)

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 12:52:58 AM »
My clutch action improved with using ATF Type F, I have always used type F. I was told that Dexron 3 had some kind of friction mod. in it and it could have an effect on the clutch. My bike would miss 1st to 2nd up shift and down shift until I started using atf.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 01:58:49 PM »
I just changed to ATF yesterday.  I am going to try the Dexron for a while, as many of you are using type F, someone has to try the Dex.  I have always heard the rumor that using type F in GM transmissions will make the clutches bite firmer and that the Dexron makes the clutches engage smoother. Either way, I see no major harm going to happen . The bearings, gears and clutches are not going to suffer any lack of lubrication.  I have been using Spectro  Clutch saver and Belray Gear saver, both work just fine. I was hoping a side benifit will be better kickstart rachet engagement in cold weather. I have been riding that last few weekends, and the temperature has been about 35 to 40 degrees and my kickstart ratchet has been slipping until the engine gets hot.  Post more when I know more.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline r1ray

• Dirt Addict
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 02:27:24 PM »
I've run type F in my 01' 500 and it works good. Its cheaper than gear saver, but you should change it more often.
Sugnasty

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 04:32:07 AM »
I always change the gear lube once a week when I clean the air filter. I typically ride on Saturdays and Sundays, so once a week seems about right.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline FPMXer

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 02:54:58 PM »
I only run the type F in my 2smokers and have longer lasting clutches. The biggest part is a qt of type F is about 98 cents to a qt of name brand motor oil at $5+ dollars. I will have to try the dexxron III and see what it does. But if tranny fluid can take the abuse of a 2,000+ pound vehicle for thounds of miles then these little rice rockets can reap the benifits of the fluid. :lol:
99' KX134 Track Bike

97' KX60 Jr's bike

89' CR500 Dune Missle

87' Mojave KSF250

My blood is green and also red!

Offline kx666

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 03:22:34 PM »
if only the oil companies would tell us exactly what is in the product, like food does...

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 06:58:18 AM »
KXcam22, Hey waiting to hear what you think about the ATF. Still happy with the results?? What about the other oils you were testing??
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 02:04:48 PM »
I'm running Castrol 10w40 right now, noticing a bit of hard shifting.  Think if I used ATF fluid I would benefit more from it and make for smoother shifting?  I used maxima mtl 80w at the beginning of the year, but I change the oil every time out, usually 2-3 times a week, so I made the change because of costs, I also made the change when I put a new clutch in.  I heard somewhere its not good to just change to a diff. fluid with the same clutch, its best to do it when its a new clutch.
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 09:01:17 AM »
Hughes,
  The snow came and I ran out of testing time.  Was lazy so did a 2nd ride on the ATF. Still nice.  ATF must be tough. After all this ATF talk I was feeling quilty so changed the ATF in my truck transfer case and only 1/2 quart came out (instead of 2.5). Yikes!.  What came out was clean. Been running for 7 years with only 20% of the oil with no probs.  Must be good lubricating stuff. Cam.