Author Topic: k5 mods  (Read 2059 times)

bellracing2

k5 mods
« on: August 14, 2006, 03:51:14 PM »
Has anyone tried the reed spacer and the stock pipe ? How much better is the Gnarly pipe over the stocker ? Where is the best place to get the reed spacer ? How thick ? I'm almost done putting her back together ! should be able to head out this weekend !

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: k5 mods
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 05:08:27 PM »
KX 500 Rider

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 02:24:16 AM »
Bell,
  Reed spacer with stock pipe fills in the bottom end and smooths the hit.  I put a gnarly on a few months ago. It is delightful.  More low and mid, takes a touch of hit off the top. Cam.

bellracing2

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 02:39:15 AM »
Thanks , thats what I was looking for , I got a moose spacer on the way , a turbine core s/a on the way , and I wanted to try the stock pipe out 1st to see if I like it . I have a fww , and 13 t c/s sprocket . From what I see in the other threads this should be quite the tractor ! :-D I wonder tho how this setup will act like in the dunes ??? :?

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 07:22:57 AM »
I had this idea about reed spacers, I heard that on thing that would really help combustion on 2 strokes was to have the straightest path possible from the carb through the reeds. I have been planning and gathering parts for my 94 project bike and that is one of the things I was planning to do. It is such a major pain in the butt to change the jets on a KX5 with a reed spacer and there has to be a way to improve that situation. If I have to notch around the frame I want to straighten the path and try different thicknesses of reed spacers. When I mill out the space I think I will make it out of 3/4" stock and then mill the angles in to make the path straighter and thicker.

Another mod I was considering is adding weight to the fly wheel, but in 2 Oz increments so you could tune the bike to the type of riding your are doing. I think the current add on weights are too much!  I have read you alls comments on weights both adding and subtracting and I think it would be something fun to play with.

My 94 project bike is going to be my guest bike so if should any of you guys show up down here without a ride I can still show you around!

Alan :-D :-D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline Arigato

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 07:33:11 AM »
Thanks , thats what I was looking for , I got a moose spacer on the way , a turbine core s/a on the way , and I wanted to try the stock pipe out 1st to see if I like it . I have a fww , and 13 t c/s sprocket . From what I see in the other threads this should be quite the tractor ! :-D I wonder tho how this setup will act like in the dunes ??? :?

That is a good woods set-up, but will be a hindrance in the dunes. 

bellracing2

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 01:04:28 PM »
I could possibly remove the fww, and adjust the idle , when I go to the dunes maybe 3-4 times a yr . this is how I got the bike , so I have never ridden a kx 5 w/o the fww . That would at least get me back to stock !   :mrgreen: