Author Topic: KX500 Lighting  (Read 7149 times)

jtktoby

KX500 Lighting
« on: June 14, 2006, 02:48:10 PM »
I have a 2000 KX500 with a moose lighting coil. The output is enough to power a headlight and get me street legal but it does not put out enough light to see very well out in the trails.

The two options I have found are an E-line external stator and battery powered HID lights (I was specifically looking at the set up from Trail Tech). I am not sure which option would be the best.

Here are some of the plus/minuses as I see them.

E-Line
- I can not seem to find one. E-Line will not even give me a time   
  frame of when they might have them.
- Has an effect of an 11oz flywheel weight whether I want it or not
+ 180 watts of output

Battery powered HID lights
+ can mount to helmet so I can see where I am looking not just
   where the bike is pointing.
- + 2 hour battery life. If I purchased 2 batteries that would give   
    me 4 hours of lighting plus I always have my stator driven 
    headlight if both batteries run out.
- + 76 effective watts of light. I am not sure if this would be
    enough even after adding my current light output to the
    equation.

Any thought or comments are greatly appreciated.

BTW I am a new KX500 owner and I must say that every time I take the 500 out I am amazed at the versatility of this bike.  Thanks.

Offline Timbowe

Re: KX500 Lighting
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 07:33:59 PM »
Why do you want to ride at night? More carrots :wink:  Any way welcome to the sight!
                                                       :mrgreen:
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 10:20:02 PM »
I have a 2000 KX500 with a moose lighting coil. The output is enough to power a headlight and get me street legal but it does not put out enough light to see very well out in the trails.

The two options I have found are an E-line external stator and battery powered HID lights (I was specifically looking at the set up from Trail Tech). I am not sure which option would be the best.

Here are some of the plus/minuses as I see them.

E-Line
- I can not seem to find one. E-Line will not even give me a time   
  frame of when they might have them.
- Has an effect of an 11oz flywheel weight whether I want it or not
+ 180 watts of output

Battery powered HID lights
+ can mount to helmet so I can see where I am looking not just
   where the bike is pointing.
- + 2 hour battery life. If I purchased 2 batteries that would give   
    me 4 hours of lighting plus I always have my stator driven 
    headlight if both batteries run out.
- + 76 effective watts of light. I am not sure if this would be
    enough even after adding my current light output to the
    equation.

Any thought or comments are greatly appreciated.

BTW I am a new KX500 owner and I must say that every time I take the 500 out I am amazed at the versatility of this bike.  Thanks.

I can barely see clearly during the DAY on my 5 at speed, let alone on the trails at night!

My last bike was a Yamaha WR250F, and the problem with lighting coil only (no battery) power system is that the engine needs to start revving for the headlight to adequately light up the trail. I found on my WR that unless you kept the engine revving good, the lighting was very poor. Blasting down smooth roads at night was no problem, as rpm's were higher.  If you absolutely have to have lights, get a full blown battery type system like Baja Designs.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

jtktoby

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 11:27:16 PM »
I live 5 minutes from hundreds of miles of single track, 2 tracks and seasonal roads (I am also street legal so I can ride straight from my house without any problems). I try to ride 4 nights a week (my wife is the best) but by the time I get home from work and out riding there is not much day light left on a weekday.

What is the ?full blown battery type system like Baja Designs?? I called them and they told me all the offer for the KX500 is the E-Line external stator which they would have to order and wait on just like me. Thanks.

jtktoby

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 01:08:52 PM »
Just in case anyone can find this of use, I ended up purchasing the Trail Tech dual HID helmet light set up. It was a little pricey but the light out put is awesome and it is also amazing to have the lights point where you looking not just where the bike is pointed.

The system seems very well made and their claimed battery life seems to be right on target. So now since my main riding time is after the lights go out, I get the trails to my self, the temp is a few degrees cooler and I can see where I am going.

Thanks,

Jon

zagnut55

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 04:55:47 PM »
I'm going to answer the "why do you want to ride at night question". Simply put, there is nothing else like it! I was the third man at a desert night race here in Vegas (my first race ever day or night) and I'm telling you, it's a blast! The temps are cooler and if you have the hot set up (baja designs HID tecate w/ dual lights) then it's just you and the trail. I'm outfitting my k5 as we speak to run the e-line lighting coil and I will definitely be riding at night to combat the heat. Have a blast with your new set up! I'm also looking into getting the cyclops helmet light as the E-line should power a headlight and a helmet light as it puts out 200 watts.

Gonzo

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 07:10:22 PM »
http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/erol.html

This place hyar do ignition, lighting, ht and pulse coils along with other stuff. Might be worth a looksee. Was planning on using them for my KX's.

Offline demographic

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 05:06:25 AM »
I have on on mine, they are not that good as far as I am concerned.

I am looking at getting the Elineaccessories setup when I have found enough pennies from down the back of the sofa.

Might take a while though :-(

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 07:15:47 AM »
KX 500 Rider

jtktoby

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 05:19:22 AM »
The E-Line set up was my first choice also. The problem is getting one. I have been on the waiting list for over 6 months now. For the first 4 months I was calling weekly to get an update. Apparently they have very unreliable suppliers.

As seen from my prior post, I eventually purchased the Trail Tech HID Helmet lights and couldn?t be happier. I rarely ride for more than 4 hours at night so the battery life is not a big problem for me and seeing where you are looking at night is priceless.

I might still purchase the E-Line if I can ever get my hands on one. We do a few weekend ride and camp trips and I can?t recharge my batteries out in the middle of the woods.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 07:10:18 AM »
What voltage are the batteries?  Could you not charge from your truck? Must be a way somehow. cam.