Author Topic: No spark coming out of the Big 5 hundie HT lead ?  (Read 7219 times)

Offline kiwikx500

Re: No spark coming out of the Big 5 hundie HT lead ?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 01:11:43 PM »
Howdy everyone,hope all are well.

Late feedback,have been travelling the world  :-)

Put an ohm meter today on the ignition coil,as in the digram Danger4u2 was good enough to post with one meter lead on the BLACK wire and the other meter lead on the HT lead - I Had an open circuit.
Verdict = coil buggered ????????

Between the black wire and earth I have a very low resistance circuit - Continuity,looks correct with regards to the diagram

Its prob the original coil,not bad for a 1990 KX500

Has the Mitsubishi symbol on the casing of the ignition coil

Have looked on www.bikebandit.com and US$67 probably 5 times the price here in New Zealand

Is the coil specially made for the KX500 ? Cause as soon as I say to the Mr Green dealership that the part is needed for the fastest motocross bike in the world it will be $$$$$$ ching ching $$$$$$$ ching ching  :-o Me

1990 KX 500

Offline kx666

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2006, 04:07:12 PM »
i have had a similar problem a few times in the past.  with a yamaha banshee and my k5. i have also have this happen to some of my customers bikes.

case of the banshee, the bike was runng great. my buddy and i shut both of our shees' down for fuel. with in minutes no ones bike would start for about an hour. my understanding was there was a strog magetic field that passed and it temperarly making all CDI's useless... :?

on my k5 i ckecked everything... same story as kilkx. i replace dthe plug, fired on 1st kick. i have to get back to work if i think fanything i'll let you know

Offline kiwikx500

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2006, 06:45:32 PM »
Cheers dude

I strolled into the kawai dealer and he spotted a crack straight away around where the lead comes out of the coil,ordered a new one - going to take 2 weeks to get here from the land of the rising sun.
Shot to a mates work he pulled old coil apart around where crack was,then took lead out - it sits on a spike thread inside the coil like the spark plug cap end.
Because it had the crack and previous owner had used arallditeg glue to fix crack that had failed in time the lead came lose and must have been arcing between HT lead and coil spike stand off inside coil causing large heat inturn burning coil out and open circuiting.
Can not wait for the coil to arrive so can go kick some 450 butt!  :-Should be like a new bike,spark been poor for most parts of ownership.

Cheers for all the feedback everyone,thumbs up to Danger4U2 and Alan for all the info the wiring diagram and especially the electrical values made it easy to isolate the fault  :-D
1990 KX 500