Author Topic: Mix ratios  (Read 12907 times)

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Re: Mix ratios
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2006, 08:53:46 AM »
Example. Yamaha still recommends you run 30:1 using Yamalube 2-R(semi-synthetic) with it's new(06) YZ250's. Quoted from their service manaul.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 08:59:28 AM by hughes »
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2006, 09:27:44 AM »
Since I bought my 04 K5 I have only used Bel Ray H1R synthetic 2 stroke racing oil.  I did 32:1 during break in.  Then after getting my jetting correct I went to 36:1.  I added a reed spacer and a FMF Gnarly and did 36:1 untill I rejetted.  Now that it's running correct I went to 40:1.  That's where I feel comfortable.  I like to see the oil in the gas.  I don't race and I'm scared of my bike.  Yes I said it, I'm scared of my bike.  When I ride my main goal is to not get hurt again.  I guess I should say I respect my bike.  I still have fun but I stay within my ability. 
Danger
KX 500 Rider

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2006, 10:11:15 AM »
Just some info straight from Amsoil on their products.  Maybe some people may not know this. 

DOMINATOR is recommended for use in high performance stock or modified two-cycle motors, including air or liquid cooled snowmobiles, personal watercraft, motorcycles (Moto X), ATVs, and go-carts. Good for use with coated or non-coated pistons, high-octane racing fuels and exhaust power valves. Compatible with most other two-cycle oils, however, mixing oils should be minimized. Use at 50:1 pre-mix ratios

AMSOIL INTERCEPTOR Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil is recommended as an injector oil or at a 50:1 mix ratio in carbureted, electronic fuel Injected (EFI) and direct fuel injected (DFI) snowmobiles, personal watercraft, motorcycles, ATVs and jet boats, including, but not limited to, those manufactured by Bombardier?, Yamaha?, Arctic Cat?, Polaris?, Kawasaki?, Suzuki? and Honda?.

AMSOIL Saber 100:1 2-Cycle Oil is recommended for 100:1 mix ratios in normal service. Richer mix ratios may be used where desired. Saber Professional (ATP) is specifically designed for small engines including, but not limited to, chain saws, lawn equipment, blowers, chop saws, pumps, scooters and go-carts. Saber Professional is also very good for use in motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATVs, jet boats and personal watercraft. Saber Professional is formulated with high temperature detergent additives to prevent hard carbon deposits from forming in these hot operating motors. Saber Professional is ?smokeless? and delivers fewer emissions at 100:1 mix ratios than oils mixed at 50:1.

Just thought I would put that out there for some more discussion. Yamalube at 40:1 or Amsoil at 50:1.  Big difference in performance?  About the same price at those mix ratios.  Comments on durability and protection?

Sly

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2006, 10:37:15 PM »
You old guys can remember, back in the day the "in" 2 stroke oil was Golden Spectro. Back when air cooled bikes were king, you needed protection. My '77 RM125 was like a time bomb as far as relibility, so I mixed at 32:1, and thereafter really had no problems. Along came the liquids, and also far more choices in oils. I also tried Bel Ray MC1 and that was my first blown engine. I ran 2 sand motos on 1 air filter (left the second one hanging on the wall at home). So maybe not Bel Ray's fault, but I have a BAD taste left in my mouth from Bel Ray. I tried Maxima, seemed good, but I would still see gunked up power valves. Now I use Klotz R50, and when I tear down a top end, the piston looks perfect, only slight scuffage, and the  power valves need a quick Easy Off cleaner douche.... and I am good to go again.....
I think now the big saving factor is not necessarily the oil ratio, but more importantly using a high quality FULL synthetic pre-mix. You guys got me interested now in this 100:1 contraversy. I may have to try it. If I launch a piston, I will be back kicking a$$ and taking names..... LOL
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2006, 02:57:14 AM »
Your bike runs cooler/cleaner when you run a leaner mix. Even though I would NEVER run 100:1 on anything I own. It is just a paranoid me and I'm just too d**n worried that I will lock it up. I run things hard and harder. I don't trust them to keep oiled. But, as hard as I ran my KX, I did notice when I started running 32:1-40:1. It surged worse. Running 50:1-80:1 I noticed it wasn't so bad.  Just my observation. To each his own. I'll still run 32:1 in my YZ, if you only knew how hard I am on that bike, you'd understand. :-)

jolly green thumper

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2006, 06:24:22 AM »
Thank You for all the input. I am running at 40 : 1 with the Klotz R50 and octane boost (+2) with 94 Gas. Might go leaner in the future, but never 100 : 1. Still having problems look for new posting please.

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2006, 08:36:25 AM »
"but never 100:1"  quoted by JGT.

Dont knock it till ya try it. Or try 95:1? :-D
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline redlined_KX500

• redlined_K5
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2007, 01:51:05 PM »
Anyone tried Redline synthetic in their K5?   I've been running yamaha-R2 @ 32:1 in a stock motor. Bike runs great, top end stays clean but, I'm tired of the extra smoke and the drool from the exhuast port.

I really like the sound of amsoil @100:1 but I'd like some fresh input from the more experienced in the forum.

Most of my riding is from lower-mid to top end not much trail riding.

I"m also not sure what impact this will have on my current jetting.

Also what's the best plug to run with the full synthetics?
Don't be scared

Offline raredesign

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2007, 07:29:22 AM »
I am running Spectro 32:1 mix...that is actually what it is called, 32:1, so am I cool with thinning it out?

I have no doubt about running 100:1 mixes with some synthetics under racing conditions, but what do you guys think for me, since I want to get max life out of my "trail/ice bike".
A buddy of mine with an RM250 said he gets about 3 years out of a top end. His comment was, plenty of oil, and a good air filter.
Now, to get more life out of the engine, should I stick with 32:1, or would I be fine going to 50:1. I also noted that comment about the engine running cooler...makes a lot of sense, and thus reduces surging. Sounds like I need to thin out, but I will not do it at the risk of shortening the life of my top end.

Offline blackkx

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2007, 12:42:50 PM »
 I have always had a good clean running engine using pro-honda hp2 at 32:1 , I was using maxima castor 927 but was told its junk for kawis powervalve system. so i switched . never have spooge coming out of my silencer and i never foul plugs, never . good stuff!!
98 KX250

Offline raredesign

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2007, 03:36:13 PM »
I heard that even though Amsoil has a "full synthetic", it is not. I was told that it still has some form of bean oil in it. And that is the other thing...bean????

Offline blackkx

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2007, 02:23:52 AM »
 I may be wrong here but i think that the "castor bean" is used in some oils such as maxima or anything that says castor on the bottle , i geuss the castor is what makes the oil burn so dirty and leave lots of residue behind to gum stuff up . Klotz also has an oil that is called benoil .
98 KX250

Offline BigGreenMachine

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2007, 09:11:58 AM »
Good read.

I'm really curious about the 100:1 ratio with Amsoil Saber Pro but I'm afraid my riding style would fry the motor that lean. At 100:1 what is slow trail riding like? Would it load up?

May just go 80:1 with Amsoil Interceptor.

Run 50:1 Amsoil HP Injector in my 250 now and its great.

Would you need to rejet with the 100:1 mix??

kx_rider53

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2007, 02:07:45 PM »
I run 24:1 on my brother's 85, 32:1 on my 125. Both with Maxima 927. I would stick with 32:1 on a 250, maybe 40:1 on a 500, but nothing higher than that.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2007, 05:03:05 PM »
Wow 24:1.  I had a 1950 outboard that called for that. Keep in mind that oil burns much hotter than gas.  The trick is to use the least amount of oil that you can while maintaining the lubricating properties that you need.  The better the oil film strength the less oil is required. More oil is not always better but good oil is always better. Cam.