Author Topic: confused.  (Read 3328 times)

bajarider

confused.
« on: July 31, 2006, 09:38:30 AM »
 First of all i'm glad to find a space like this one and i hope i can get as much as give any information needed, well i'm new in dirt riding i bought a kx250 '91 and i was able to ride it only a few times because it broke down the engine is stuck, i'm torn between fixing it to ride soon or tearing it down and rebuildin the bike, repainting the frame, new plastics, levers, handle bars, tires, gaskets...... of course this means not riding and also spending some money, what do you think i should do? is it worth to spend the money on it? How much do you think i'll spend on parts?  :?

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: confused.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 09:50:25 AM »
  If your doing the wrenching fix it on the cheap and ride it the rest of the season.  Tear it down this winter and do it right for next year.
Danger
KX 500 Rider

Eric Meyer

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 09:32:04 PM »
I just did exactly that to mine this past winter. I have a 98'. I hav'nt bought new plastics or graphics yet, but I will this fall. The most costly part of mine was the recondtioned cylinder and piston. I've got about $350 in the motor. I did it all myself. Just get a manual and take your time. If you get stuck, ask questions. Doing the topend was a great experience. There's also a certain amount of satisfaction in doing it yourself.

bajarider

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 09:28:16 AM »
 yeah! i think doing it myself would be nice, and that way i could tell my overpricing mechanic to f..... about the season i'm not racing or anyrhthing and down here in the desert the winter is the best time to ride, right now i have to drive a little over two hours to climb to good wheather (near San Diego) well thanx and keep the comments coming!!!

Offline FPMXer

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 07:10:56 AM »
Hey Bajarider, ride it this season in the sand or until it lets go and then rebuild it yourself. I can help you out with the rebuild if needed. I live in Temecula and also ride in Ocotilla wells, Calipatria and sometimes Glamis. I do all my work on my bikes, 06' KX450F (for sale), 99' KX125 and my sons 97' KX60. I have already replaced the entire rotating assembly on the 60 and now in the process of redoing the 125. The top end on the 125 is going to be punched out to a 134cc and put back on. I have lots of tools, knowledge and a garage to do the work. So I'm offering my services if you need them and that goes for anyone else that lives in So-Cal. I normally post on Thumpertalk and Kawasaki motorcycle forum. But I will be posting alot on here also.
99' KX134 Track Bike

97' KX60 Jr's bike

89' CR500 Dune Missle

87' Mojave KSF250

My blood is green and also red!

Offline kx666

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 12:02:29 PM »
I wouldnt recommend limping a bike. if you are going to do somthing do it right!

if you are new to bikes i wouldnt recomend wrenching your self unless you have someone helping you. i have seen good ASE certified wrenches f*** up a bike from not knowing a few things.

weather you are going  to wrench or not i highly recommend a service manual. i would reccomcend Clymers manuals, factory kawi manuals are good for a pro...but they assume you know a lot.