Author Topic: Just joined  (Read 3862 times)

liilpa09

Just joined
« on: August 02, 2006, 03:41:07 AM »
Well after a couple years of not riding, I finally got a new bike. I found a good deal locally on a 98 KX500 in MINT condition and ended up paying $1600 for it. It is by far my favorite bike I've owned so far (out of the following: 02 CR250, 01 kx100, 00 xr100). I've had a ton of fun with it already and couldn't be happier with it. The only mods the previous owner did was a new sprocket and o-ring chain, renthal bars, k&n air filter, and scott grips. I just purchased a set of Acerbis flag handguards today so I'm waiting to put them on as well.
I took a picture with my camera phone but the quality is kind of bad. Let me know what you guys think!

scarykxer

Re: Just joined
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 03:44:42 AM »
hi there from sunny england..welcome to the site..thats a fine looking bike you have there.. :-D

openclass

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 04:03:26 AM »
AUGH! All these new members with nice rides, and mine still in a hundred piecies.

Welcome to the place of many happy dreams.

Where are you from?

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 04:22:06 AM »
Dang, that is sweet!  Where did you buy it at (city/state)?  Must have been from an older person that just took it easy.  Congratulations on the score and take it easy, she does have some get up and go compared to the other bikes you listed.  :-D  Sly

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 04:26:50 AM »
"MINT condition and ended up paying $1600 for it."
That looks like a very good buy.  It's more fun when you start with a good deal.
Danger
KX 500 Rider

liilpa09

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 08:13:39 AM »
"MINT condition and ended up paying $1600 for it."
That looks like a very good buy.  It's more fun when you start with a good deal.
Danger

I couldn't believe the price either. I found it on cycletrader and it was listed for $1700. I went and checked it out and then that night I did some research and found out how good of a deal it was. I called the guy the next day and said I'd give him 1400, but he declined, stating that his price was cheaper than any kx500 he's seen around. So I said all I could give him was 1600 and he accepted. I've riddin it for a couple of hours now pretty hard and no problems so far so I guess I did get a good deal!

Dang, that is sweet!  Where did you buy it at (city/state)?  Must have been from an older person that just took it easy.  Congratulations on the score and take it easy, she does have some get up and go compared to the other bikes you listed.  :-D  Sly

I bought it in Chadds Ford, PA. The guy I bought it from was a older than me (in his early 40's I'd guess) and he was selling it after he messed up his ankle real bad on it and as a result can't ride it anymore.
I am taking it easy to start with as this bike is a completely different beast than anything else I've ever ridden, but it isn't too bad to get used to.

hi there from sunny england..welcome to the site..thats a fine looking bike you have there.. :-D

Thanks!

AUGH! All these new members with nice rides, and mine still in a hundred piecies.

Welcome to the place of many happy dreams.

Where are you from?

I'm from West chester, PA. Anyone know somebody in the area that needs someone to ride with?

liilpa09

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 08:24:50 AM »
I have a few questions...first off, how often do you guys change your trans. oil and what type of oil do you use? Just regular 10w 40 engine oil?

Secondly, what do you guys think is the best way to clean these bike off after they get really dirty? I've been using simple green since I started riding but it doesn't always take all the crap off, especially on metal parts such as the wheels and spokes.

Lastly, what are the basic mods that are a must have on these bikes? After reading through some threads, it seems like the moose racing torque reed spacer is a good item to buy as well as the FMF gnarly pipe. What's the difference between the standard gnarly pipe and the desert gnarly pipe? Also where's a good place to buy all the parts? I usually go to rockymountainmc.com but don't really know of too many other good sellers. Thanks in advance..

b0dem

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 09:06:39 AM »
Ive been using honda tech 80w in my 88 kx5, seems to be alright. Though after my rebuild I will be switching to amsoil.
Welcome to the forums, tons of knowledge, and friendly members here.
Nice looking bike btw, hope she takes care of you, and vice versa.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 12:23:55 AM »
  I use 10w-40 Valvoline and change it all the time.  Oil is cheaper than trans parts.
I power wash and stay away from chain and any seals.
Gnarly = more low end power
Desert Gnarly = more top end power
Parts- Surf the net, e-bay,  For Kawasaki parts I have a friend from childhood that works parts dept. at a Kawasaki dealership.
Mods I have made-  http://www.kxriders.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=89
Danger
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 12:30:09 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider