Author Topic: My KX500 at "Track Day"  (Read 5410 times)

Offline Polar-Bus

My KX500 at "Track Day"
« on: July 27, 2006, 12:50:46 AM »
Got a chance to take the "man bike" up to out local practice track in Maine yestarday. I went up with my buddy who has a fresh '06 YZ450F. I have got my suspension as good as it can be matching my weight, and a fresh set of tires. The track was soft, but fast as it was recently groomed. There was only about 30 bikes there, and 95% of them were 4 strokes. I fire up the man bike, and give it a "clean out", and everyone is staring at me in admiration (I think) LOL. As I putt through the pit, I hear and old skool guy yell "go get 'em Jeff!!!!!!! (as in Jeff Wardy). I laughed. I hit the track, pulling a slower pace, my first impressions this bike sucks. I re-familiarize myself with the track, and start hammering the 500..... oh my friggin lord!! If you hold a 500 WOT it absolutely hauls a$$, BUT you eventually need to brake and corner. The KX500 simply doesnt like to be "thrown around". I smoothed out my pace, and became much more fluid on the throttle, and pulling berms in higher gears, and now the bike settled down. The major disadvantage is the KX has a BRUTAL headshake down the straights. Not only was I getting normal arm pump, it was exponentiated as a result from the headshake. I now have a GPR damper on order. Jumping the KX500 was a blast, and the bike was extremely well mannered in flight.
Bottom line after spending over 4 hours with my KX, I so envy you desert guys!!! I really have nowhere to really tap the 500's full potential here in New England (at least until I have some ICE). Towards the end of the day me an my buddy swapped bikes for about an hour. Piloting an '06 YZ450F is like no other experience......... the bikes are that fast, and just so easy to go faster, and brake, and slam the bike into a berm, and agressively charge a whoop section. My buddy rode the "man bike" for severall laps, and came into the pits just laughing. He commented "jesus, this thing is just like a big-block nitrous injected 60's muscle car" He hit it right on the head. Still, thinking while driving home, I love my 500 for what it's intended for, which is standing your hair on end from speed and power.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 06:39:25 AM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline alan

• Administrator
Re: My KX500 at "Track Day"
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 01:36:39 AM »
Great story!

Thanks! :-D :-D :-D :-D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 02:12:58 AM »
 Polar I know what you mean.  I went to Lake Murray ATV park last weekend.  None of my friends could go so I went by myself.  Met a guy with a 250 Yamaha 2 smoker.  Murray is tight single track woods.  If you like hill climbs it has some deep ravines and dry creek beds. It has a few straight always where you can open it up if you can hang on in the woops. It's soooo dry in Oklahoma the park is nothing but pulverized dusty sand, it's best to ride Murray the day after a good rain.  I could not keep up with the Yamerhammer in the tight stuff.  The guy defiantly was a better rider than I am.  He was nice enough to wait for me every once in a while.  My skills were tested trying to keep up with him.  He told me back at the trucks, he was paranoid I would run into him in the straights that's why he was going so fast in the twistys.  Said he could hear me breathing down his neck in the straights.  One thing about most of Oklahoma it's got lots of room to open up a K5. Lake Murray was a fun day trip for me, next time I'll go for the weekend and take the quad for night rides. http://www.oklahomaresorts.com/detail.asp?id=1+5U+6446
Danger
KX 500 Rider

Offline Arigato

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 03:26:43 AM »
Polar, what do you have your sag set at?  The K5 shouldn't get that much headshake.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 04:19:25 AM »
Polar, what do you have your sag set at?  The K5 shouldn't get that much headshake.

4.00"

Early in the day, when the straights were fairly smooth, and had "straight" lines, my 500 had only minimal headshake. As the sessions wore on, all the straights got really hammered, and "cross lined". This scenario is what caused the bad headshake syndrome on my KX. I slid my forks to where they were "flush" in the triple tree, and it did help, but when you do this you loose some cornering bite (which it did also). It got so scary a few times, I actually checked my front brakes to make sure they were not sticking.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 04:26:17 AM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 05:22:00 AM »
I understand completely. That is why I purchased a steering stabilizer. I could keep the forks high in the tripple tree so I could attack the corners and use the stabilizer for the streights. Usally never suffered from that though because I always wheelied in the streights. Before the drag days. Now, I just stick to a minibike (250cc 2stroke) on the track and trails.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 09:01:41 AM »
Polar,
  Good story! Sounds like you had a blast!  I agree with Arigato I don't think the K5 should headshake that much. On mine it is so rare.  Possibly there is some more dialing you can do. I know too much fork compression will do it. Cam.

zagnut55

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 06:46:53 PM »
I had something like that when I took my k5 out for the first time. How are your handlebars? Are they adjusted up so more weight is on the front? I pulled my bars down and it took care of the problem. Paul.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 10:54:30 PM »
Polar,
  Good story! Sounds like you had a blast!  I agree with Arigato I don't think the K5 should headshake that much. On mine it is so rare.  Possibly there is some more dialing you can do. I know too much fork compression will do it. Cam.

I'm a little confused as to your  description of  "too much fork compression", but my 500 was headshaking while hard on the gas down the straights. Near the end of the straight (so the front tire is lightly loaded in the dirt), applying front brake (heavily loading the front tire), the headshake would deminish.

My '97 KX250 had the same issue, only not as bad. I was able to dial out most all of the headshake by front fork ride height.

I called Tucker Rocky, and my goddam GPR steering damper is on backorder, as they are brand new items from GPR. I plan on posting up lots of pics when I install it. The GPR units look sweet (and my dealer cost for one is only $300)

Paul, my handlebars are as far foreward, and "high" as will reasonable allow. older KX's are well know for too cramped a handelbar position stock.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 11:27:07 PM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 05:25:45 PM »
Polar,
    I meant that there might be too much fork compression dialed in on the suspension clicker (bottom of the fork).   Sometimes when on the gas and the front end is light, it will cause the front tire to ricochet side to side off small bumps instead of absorbing them.  Cam.

Offline Ramski

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 05:19:54 PM »
I've had so many opportunities to ditch my bike for a more modern one and I know I could ride a lot faster on a more modern bike, but I'd loose a lot of coolness in the process.  :mrgreen:

I personally am looking forward to the day when someone puts on vintage racing for (modern) 500cc Two Strokes.  Nothing would make my hair stand on end than to hear a moto with only 500s!  :-D

One of the main reasons I've kept my beast is that I live in the desert.  I still believe the KX500 can rule desert Hare & Hound racing.  You guys from back east are really missing something being able to open up a KX500 like us western guys, but then again, I suck when conditions get slick and tight in the trees.  :roll:
Danny Lesovsky

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 01:56:03 AM »
Ramski, I like your mind set.  I started surfing this site about a month before I got my bike.  I remember members talking about getting "clutch hand" and I thought what a bunch of sissies.  Their hand gets tired in the woods and tight stuff.  I've had my bike about 1 half years and thought the clutch was strong but I never had the clutch hand problem.  That's because where I ride most of the tight woods only lasts a little while then it's on the straights again.  Then I went to Lake Murray State Park.  It's nothing but tight woods and man was I in the waa waa mode the day after my ride.  I had the KX500 clutch hand.  I could not do a thing with my left hand for about 2 days.  I to am leaning toward a new bike.  I'll keep the K5 for sand dunes and riding the river but I would like another bike to tear up in the woods and tight stuff.
Danger
KX 500 Rider

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 06:13:53 AM »
There is nothing like a 450cc or bigger Four Stroke for tearing up technical trails and tracks.  The ability to bog the gears and pull an entire sections without shifting is definately an advantage over any Two Stroke, not to mention the engine brake is handy for slowing down without any brake input.  But unless you are riding those areas with temperatures under around 90 Degrees F., you still run the risk of overheating the thumpers... not to mention smoking those clutches !

Now for desert or sand...  The KX500 is definately the KING.  Big power, good geometry, nice seat (for those non technical, sit on your rear cruises), and an awesome suspension to terrain ratio.  The bike is light, agile at speed, good airtime characteristics (not much spinning mass like the thumpers), and has the closest "Four-Stroke" feeling powervalve system I have ridden.

Just like a personal car, street bike, mountain bike, or cordless screwgun.....  you buy them according to your needs and neccessity.   Luckily for me, I have the need for speed and lots of sand to do it on ! !   :-P

My thoughts are by no means even closely associated with anyone having the slightest basic knowledge of anything that might have to do with a professional background in the field mechanics.  BUT, with the help of friends and other members from this site, that is definately changing   :-D

FuriouSly

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 10:02:46 AM »
Any one who finds the clutch too much should invest in the Magura hydraulic clutch. I run one and even tho I reckon the clutch was'nt too bad, this mod has made a huge difference! For one the lever is in the same place every time you grab for it, the pull and release is smooth and even, it is tidy to look at and is easy to mount. All in all this would have to be one of the best mods I've done to my bike!!
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 10:18:21 AM »
I agree the 500's clutch pull is tough. When at my track day, I hardly used the clutch except for entering corners after long straights. The 5 has SOOO much grunt and snap, feathering the clutch is not necessary (and a useless waste of energy). I have a 14oz. Steahly flywheel weight, and man what an awesome mod out on the track. I stalled my 5 only once all day, and exiting corners was SO much easier.

You guys that are hooked on "shaving" weight off your flywheels, I can understand your point, and what your trying to achieve, but IMO, a flywheel wieght makes my KX500 pull traction "kinda" like a big thumper!!!! (but you still DEFINATELY know you have a snappy 500 2 stroke between your legs).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 10:21:23 AM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1