Author Topic: A bolt on kickstand for a 5?  (Read 3505 times)

Offline Polar-Bus

A bolt on kickstand for a 5?
« on: June 08, 2006, 10:00:09 PM »
Hey all,
Does anyone know of a true "frame mount" aftermarket kickstand for the KX5? All I know of are the "Diet Coke" swingarm clamp style POS stands. A kickstand would be SOOOOOO helpfull in allowing me to "get on top" of the kickstarter for easier kicking! Thanks,
                          Rich
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

zagnut55

Re: A bolt on kickstand for a 5?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 06:55:10 PM »
Ok, yes I do. I recently bought a kickstand off of a guy from e-bay, however, the stand itself is a weak P.O.S. There is one good thing about it though if you did as I did. The bracket that bolts to the frame is pretty strong and all you have to do is replace the stand part or do as I did and reinforce it with thick round tubing and this is key, lengthen it to where you want it. I think I paid like $50 with shipping. It sure beats $150 for a billet one which they sell everywhere. Strange though, I just picked up another k5 for desert racing:) and it had one of those swingarm kickstands on it that worked great! I weigh 170 lbs. and it held up like a champ. Just my 2 cents. Paul.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 09:35:35 AM »
Ok, yes I do. I recently bought a kickstand off of a guy from e-bay, however, the stand itself is a weak P.O.S. There is one good thing about it though if you did as I did. The bracket that bolts to the frame is pretty strong and all you have to do is replace the stand part or do as I did and reinforce it with thick round tubing and this is key, lengthen it to where you want it. I think I paid like $50 with shipping. It sure beats $150 for a billet one which they sell everywhere. Strange though, I just picked up another k5 for desert racing:) and it had one of those swingarm kickstands on it that worked great! I weigh 170 lbs. and it held up like a champ. Just my 2 cents. Paul.

I am actually in the process of grafting a WR426F kickstand assemble to the KX500's left footpeg bracket. I am having some setbacks, as when I fold up the kickstart, it sticks out too far. In the down position its ok. I need to re-cut the bracket and re-weld at a different pivot angle to get the lever to tuck in tighter to the subframe. I will post a few pics next time I am at my garage.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 03:46:10 AM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline demographic

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 01:28:23 AM »
Hey all,
Does anyone know of a true "frame mount" aftermarket kickstand for the KX5? All I know of are the "Diet Coke" swingarm clamp style POS stands. A kickstand would be SOOOOOO helpfull in allowing me to "get on top" of the kickstarter for easier kicking! Thanks,
                          Rich

http://www.promotobillet.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=78 :wink:

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 02:50:26 AM »
  I went with a Pro Moto Billet kick stand because they are built so well.  $150 dollars is alot but I look at the long haul.  I don't see me ever selling my KX500 so after 10 years that kick stand only cost me $15 bucks a year.  It's worth not having to lay my bike on it's side or lean it on a tree when I'm out on a ride.
http://www.kxriders.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=89&pos=23

Danger
KX 500 Rider

Offline joebloggs

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 06:39:56 AM »
any body in the uk need one of this then search the demon tweaks catalogue,its a universal that you can bolt to the swingarm with nutserts cost about ?15 i think when i got one

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 03:48:19 AM »
any body in the uk need one of this then search the demon tweaks catalogue,its a universal that you can bolt to the swingarm with nutserts cost about ?15 i think when i got one

Bolt on ones suck. The nutserts eventually will strip out. One KX i looked at used, had JB weld in the holes where the inserts "used" to be.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1