Author Topic: Hard shifting  (Read 7951 times)

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
Re: Hard shifting
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2006, 08:44:48 AM »
I'm not sure this is a gear box issue - it could be a clutch issue. If the clutch does not disengage the drive properly it becomes harder to shift.

//John

zagnut55

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2006, 08:30:40 PM »
Well guys, I knew I said I would inform you all on what happened with the oil change, but I hurt my rotator at work before I could go riding. Looks like I'll be out for a while but hopefully not forever. One thing for sure, it probably won't be too hard to sell my 04 if I need to because everyone loves these things! Keep up the good work on this forum and check out the pics I put up of my K5 first ride. Different graphics now. Paul.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2006, 04:31:02 AM »
Well guys, I knew I said I would inform you all on what happened with the oil change, but I hurt my rotator at work before I could go riding. Looks like I'll be out for a while but hopefully not forever. One thing for sure, it probably won't be too hard to sell my 04 if I need to because everyone loves these things! Keep up the good work on this forum and check out the pics I put up of my K5 first ride. Different graphics now. Paul.

Easily selling your 500 highly depends on where you live. If you live near more open desert, yes I am sure KX500's are highly sought after. I live in New England, and up here  KX500's (or any 500 2 stroke) are non-existant. I impatiently waited 5 months to find a local, clean KX500. I even did a Kawasaki dealer locator to try and fine a new one in a crate, no luck, KX500's are all gone as far as new, so this alone tends to drive up the retail used price and value.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2006, 04:37:06 AM »
John,
   Can't be a clutch issue since I never use it to shift.  Sometimes it can be a bit of an experiment, trying different oils.  Most bikes shift pretty good but the improvement can still be felt. On vehicles it can be dramatic.  I started running Belray gearsaver in my truck std trans as a kid.  Was an amazing improvement, then later graduated to amsoil. Belray 90w140 in my CJ5 transfercase was magic. Cam.

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2006, 09:21:23 AM »
Hands down - can't argue if you don't use the clutch.

Never experienced it myself so I have to take your word for it - which I do.

Only time the gearbox oil has impacted my shifting is when I have not changed oil in a while and under extreme conditions (hot or cold). Then again, I never have used mineral oil or no-name stuff since I could afford to buy synthetic oils.

Cant figure out how poor quality oil can make it difficult to shift gears??? Surly there must be an underlying mechanical problem behind it. A good oil might hide any issues but the gear box should work just fine with the prescribed oil once it has been properly breaked in.

//John

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2006, 03:42:48 AM »
John,
  I think you hit the nail on the head. A good condition gearbox should shift great.  My KX shifts great but it is only on the last ride that I noticed missing a few shifts. It's a 92 so will have some wear. On my streetbike I was definitely solving a minor mechanical issue with good oil. However, the oil film of a good synthetic is noticably slipperier. In a bike trans there is lots of sliding action during a shift. The gears must slide on the shaft and the shiftforks slide in the shiftdrum. For any sliding action a slippery oil film must help a bit.  Maybe more on some bike models than others. Cam.