Author Topic: Trans problem  (Read 6549 times)

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Re: Trans problem
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2006, 12:20:27 AM »
My 87 500 is running a Pro-X inner hub for an 89-04 model bike, that would lead me to believe that the outter hub would be the same. What parts are you looking for??
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

kx5tsi

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2006, 10:31:39 AM »
Hmm, thats funny, maybe I dont have an 87.

the pro-x hub I ordered for my bike was for the 89's-04's and it would not fit. It was the exact same hub, only it had many small splines where it slides over the shaft. My shaft has 6 big splines on it. I reassembled with only 4 bolts, since one of my posts is broken off. I know this can't be good, but possibly I could make it work with stiffer springs. I can't find a hub anywhere.

After some tinkering with the clutch cable, I have got it to grab good in all gears, except 3rd.  It shifts into third. but its just free revs. I dont think that my clutch is slipping otherwise why would it grab good in 4th? Also, not sure if it grabs in 5th, or the top of any gear. The motor was not even warmed and the plug wasn't cleared yet, it was bogging on 3/4 throttle and up. I was testing on my street and this allowed one blast down and back since I have some ornary neighbors that call the cops.

I'll get it out this week to go ride it for a while and see what happens. This is a pretty bad diagnosis since it wasn't even producing full power on my test.

any help is appreciated,

kyle

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 12:37:35 AM »
Post a picture of your bike. You could have an 86 500 or older, or the engine has been swapped out.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2006, 08:21:26 AM »
When you say "After some tinkering with the clutch cable, I have got it to grab good in all gears, except 3rd.  It shifts into third. but its just free revs." Do you mean free rews as in no traction at all or some traction?

//John

kx5tsi

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2006, 09:10:17 AM »
I dont think its grabbing in 3rd at all., it revs like Im in neutral. Im going to try and put it up on a stand and run it through the gears to see if im getting any tire spin in 3rd.

If my clutch was going wouldn't it slip in all gears? Or is there a certain gear that it will start slipping in first? Maybe my shift fork or cogs are messed up?

I still need to get it out to an open area and get her warmed up to get a more accurate diagnosis of my problem, im not sure if the clutch is holding at the top of any gear yet since I couldn't really get on it in my neighborhood.

thanks

kyle

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2006, 03:06:04 AM »
Kyle,

Is there any way you can get a picture of your shift assembly under the clutch basket? I have a feeling it is not right.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2006, 05:48:46 AM »
That spring on that shaft gave me about an hour of sh*t when I rebuilt my engine, It's not marked but I had mine backwards(flipped over) and it would pop off and I was unable to shift any gear. Need a photo of your bike to help figure the year.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2006, 07:25:54 AM »
Maybe this problem.....

Worn dogs for third gear or/and bend shiftfork  :cry:
You can machine to negative angled dogs and get more
"grabbing force",this is common problem for KX500 when you miss
gears when upshifting under load.The dogs get rounded at edge.
It?s not so expensive to do this mods than buy new gearwheel. :wink:

The stock shiftforks are very thin and easy to bend :-(
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

Offline kxs in oz

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2006, 10:47:59 AM »
Hi kx5tsi your kx gearbox problem will be inside i would look at the selector drum  for damage and see if the forks are bent then look at the dogs on the gears if they are rounded over they worn out have seen problems in that area before as my bussiness is rebuilding gearboxes for cars trucks and bikes and dont ues 80/90 gear oil it is to heavy you clutch wont disengage properly use around 10w40 2 stroke gear oil your clutch will like that more hope this can help you best of luck Simon

kx5tsi

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2006, 01:46:47 PM »
thanks for all the help guys,

yes I can get a picture, but probably not for a week or so when I have time to tear her down. If all goes well this weekend I may have some spare time to tear into her. Im a college student, and also working so finding the time is sort of hard.

But yea as soon as I can I will get some pics of the shift assembly, clutch, etc. Hopefully one of you guys can point somthing out, that may be wrong with the shift assembly otherwise the box will come apart. I have a bad feeling that It is shifting into gear fine and my box is messed up.

How hard is it to do the gear mod? Im pretty good with a cutoff wheel and die grinder, the hours of manifold and cylinder head porting might come in handy.

Thanks,
kyle

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2006, 04:13:42 PM »
KX5tsi,
  Grinding the dogs isn't very hard. If you have ported heads then no probs. The only tricky thing is to match them, ie. grind the same amount of each. There is usually 3 or 4 dogs on each gear so after you grind one whole gear you need to slip it on the shaft with its unground mating gear and use a feeler guage to check dog contact clearance. Then use a file to bring down the highest one so they all contact about the same (no clearance).  I used to race Husquvarnas in the old days. Got really good at fixing gears.  As for the shift forks, look at the wear patterns on each side.  A bent one will have obviously uneven wear. Hope this helps. Cam.

kx5tsi

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2006, 05:46:19 PM »
Thanks, hopefully I can repair it myself.

My bikes head is not ported to my knowledge, the only experience I have in porting is car cylinder heads, exhaust manifolds, intake manifolds etc.

Only mods to the bike that I am aware of are the pro circuit pipe and answer silencer, haven't pulled the motor apart yet so Im not really sure if thats the extent of it.

but thanks for the help, looks like I will have some time this weekend to rip it apart. I guess I'll find out whats really wrong.

kyle