Author Topic: Poor Man's enduro Computer  (Read 7303 times)

Offline KXcam22

Poor Man's enduro Computer
« on: June 21, 2006, 04:03:12 PM »
I'm sure a few members already have one of these bicycle computers installed, but I thought I would post this for those who haven't seen one.  I could have used some tips.

A bicycle computer makes for a cheap, easy and accurate way keep track on your ride.  I installed this one last year and it has been great. A bit depressing at times, since it tells you exactly how (& how far) you rode and not how you "thought" you rode.  Cost about $15 for the computer and a buck for some super magnets.  Here's how:

Get a computer that goes to 100mph.  Some don't go that high but your KX500 does. A wireless one would be easier but all the ones I looked at said 24" max sensor to computer and I needed nearly 48".  I should have tested one but didn't. I mounted the computer to my crossbar pad with a strip of velcro.

Use a small neodymium supermagnet; Took me a week to find one. I drilled a depression (not a hole) in the disk with a 3/8" drill, filled it with JB weld and stuck the magnet in.  Very secure.

I soldered some old headphone (small 2 conductor) wire to the sensor wire to extend it and then ran it in a piece of teflon sensor pipe (the kind used for a auto mechanical oil pressure guage) parallel, and taped to the brake line. The teflon pipe ends almost at the brake reservoir  and the wire jumps across to the crossbar pad.

Sensor mounting was the only tricky part.  Took me 3 tries at making a bracket before I got one that put the sensor close enough to the magnet.  I used a "U" shaped aluminum strip that bolts to the brake line mount. It's well protected in this position.  The sensor is taped to the other side of the "U". Calibrate the computer for your wheel circumference and you are done.  Enjoy. Cam.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 04:05:16 PM by KXcam22 »

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Re: Poor Man's enduro Computer
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 04:25:09 PM »
Cam, that is the sweetiest mod I've seen. An excellent job! That would have to be a mod done to my KX... when I get another one. :-)

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 10:29:05 PM »
Nice job! It's the coolest feeling whan you fab something clean and functional that no one else offers!! You need to contact Destry's team for a team mechanic position!!!!
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 12:55:27 AM »
Cam, cool idea.  Any money saved is money earned.  Like getting your house paid off.  Once I did that my wallet started to look like I was working a second job.  If you have any more money saving ideas we WILL listen.
Danger
KX 500 Rider

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 03:34:13 AM »
Cam, as usual you come up with great stuff!  :-D

Thanks Alan :-D :-) :-D :-)
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 07:25:46 AM »
Dead link removed.

This could help.

( This post modified by Admin., reason: Dead link removed, live link installed. )

http://www.terrycable.com/

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 01:21:08 AM by Danger4u2 »
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

n2682

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 01:31:34 PM »
kxcam22
 your either really smart or have alot of time on your hands but great idea ill def put it to use this summer!

Offline BDI

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 01:39:23 PM »
If your not smart I don't think you could come up with a good idea like cams with all the time in the world.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 04:33:42 PM »
BDI
Thanks for the vote of confidence.  I'm just in the process of moving it over onto the CRF450. Cam.

ilovemybike

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 06:13:41 PM »
what kind of computer did u use??????

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 03:44:15 AM »
It's called a BC800.  Less than $20 and has all the function that you need. Cam.

Offline KXcam22

Poor Man's enduro Computer - Revisited
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 02:45:15 PM »
This worked so well on the KX500 that I moved it to my new CRF450.  It was much easier the second time since the concept was proven and the wiring and teflon hose already done.  All I had to do was mount a magnet and build a bracket to hold the sensor.  This proved to be easy!  I JB welded a super-magnet into the recesed head of a 6mm disc brake bolt.  The bracket worked first try as well, the custom double 90 degree bend was easily made with a vise and crescent wrench. Very easy.  Here are some pics:

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 11:26:24 PM »
I have a question for this, how do you calibrate it!?  I have a bicycle spedometer I've had laying around for a while and would like to use it for an enduro this coming weekend but I have no papers for calibration.  Maybe someone can help me out?
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 12:31:46 AM »
Roll the wheel to align the magnet with the sensor.  Put a chalk mark on the tire where it meets the ground and a mark on the ground.  Roll your bike forward one full revolution until the line on the tire is on the ground again (sensor and mag should be in alignment again) make a line on the ground.  Measure the distance between the lines on the ground.  That gives you the distance for each revolution. 
KX 500 Rider

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 03:19:16 AM »
Ebers,
  Danger is right. The only cal numbers required are either the linear distance one wheel turn gives you (best) or the outside diameter of the tire.  You might find the manual on line somewhere.  Mine is very accurate, I have comared it to a mech odo and my GPS.  Also cool to see your speed; I found a whoop section I can do at 110 Kmh.  Doesn't feel that fast just fun. Cam.