Author Topic: How to Build a Kevlar Pipe Guard  (Read 7591 times)

Offline KXcam22

How to Build a Kevlar Pipe Guard
« on: June 17, 2006, 05:41:37 PM »
I can't resist building things. I was doing some fiberglassing so It seemed a good idea to buiild a guard to protect my new Gnarly from getting mashed. I had some of the materials and traded a 6-pack for the kevlar scraps.  I complete one step each night after work to give the resin time to fully cure.  This was actually very easy to build. Total weight with clamps is 1lb-4oz. The final product is so strong I can't even flex it. I posted more photos in my gallery. Cam.

Materials:
1 Liter polyester resin
scraps of fiberglass mat or cloth
fiberglass or kevlar Roving (heavy weave cloth)
plastic kitchen wrap
Paint
2 large hose clamps

Step1:
Wrap the area of your pipe to be glassed in kitchen wrap. Cover the remainder with plastic bags. The narrow stuff they use at home depot to strap wood trim would work better than the stuff I used. With a black marker, mark on the pipe aprox where the guard edges will be.  You will glass a larger area  then trim it smaller.

Step2:
Using 1.5" wide strips of fiberglass mat, build a 1-layer shell over the pipe and let it cure.  Before it is fully cured, pop the shell off the pipe and pull any kitchen wrap out of the inner part of the shell.  Let it cure for a day, rough sand it then carefully trim it close to it's final size (but not too close, that comes later).

Step3: The fiberglass or Kevlar roving (you can use either) fits nicely over the curve without cutting darts or slits. Put 2 layers on and work it with your hands until it the roving takes the shape.  Glass this in place and let cure a day.

Step4: Trim to final shape with a saber saw.  Apply a coat of resin inside, outside and the cut edges (for sanding) and let cure a day. Sand with 60gr. Drill/file mounting holes and drain holes, paint and install heat sheild (tinfoil).

Offline KXcam22

Re: How to Build a Kevlar Pipe Guard
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 05:44:33 PM »
Alan,
  Can you make this a sticky. Thanks.

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 12:27:52 PM »
Honda lawnmower eh?  :roll: Well done Cam! Just remember to remove occasionally and clean the pipe suface. I have a guard also and its surprising how much crap gets in there. The Gnarly can lose its nice coating fairly quickly if left too long. I use a 3M scouring pad for the job, like the one that mum uses for that roasting pan in the sink.

Nice job! They work well.
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 12:56:52 AM »
Very Cool Kxcam22. My dad is a fiberglass expert and now I have a project for us. Thanks.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline demographic

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 05:44:12 AM »
On a slightly different track, you might find these pages interesting...

http://www.mci.i12.com/carbon/index.htm

The section on making petrol tanks is very interesting indeed.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 06:14:02 AM by demographic »

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 06:14:31 AM »
Cam, What paint did you use on your pipe guard?
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 11:23:54 AM »
Hughes,
  The paint is Mercruiser engine paint - marine epoxy enamel (hi heat).  Comes in spray cans and is good stuff. Tough and dries fast. Cam.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 05:48:24 AM »
Timbowe said:  Well done Cam! Just remember to remove occasionally and clean the pipe suface. I have a guard also and its surprising how much crap gets in there. The Gnarly can lose its nice coating fairly quickly if left too long. I use a 3M scouring pad for the job, like the one that mum uses for that roasting pan in the sink.

Timbowe's right. I clean after each ride.  I have an E-line carbon fiber protector.  They have slots cut to weave the hose clamp through.  I just put mine around the pipe and the protector that way I don't have to take the clamp all the way off.  I just loosen and slide the clamp up the pipe.  Makes it real easy to clean.  In the picture you can see how I just slide the clamp out of the way.

Danger
KX 500 Rider

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 03:40:06 PM »
Cam, that looks cool as heck.  Very nice job!  I love building things as well and am a little handy with tools, and I must say very well done.  Luckily for me sand does not tear up the pipes as bad as rocks and trees  :wink:

FuriouSly

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2006, 04:10:26 PM »
Finally got a ride in to test the pipe guard. Been far to hot here over the summer and watersports rule instead.  My biggest worry was that it might melt, but it worked great. At first it gave off a bit of resin smell when it got hot but that seemed to disappear by the end of the ride.  I put extra large drain holes in it after the excellent feedback I got from Timbowe & Danger.  The inner mud seems to flush out nicely. I'll keep an eye out for any corrosion. Cam.

PS spent the whole day jumping over big logs (without a worry)

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 06:04:05 AM »
In one word, "Bulletproof"!!  I tried to wheelie over a 3' high pile of crossed logs, then caught a stump with the rear wheel and came down hard; slammed the pipe full tilt on top of a big log.  Would have completely crushed a non-protected pipe, but it came through unscratched.  Last word: for anyone making one, use the high temperature resin.  Mine hasn't melted that I can tell but it smells like a new sailboat when it gets hot.  Seems to be getting better with each ride so hopefully the smell will go with time.  A very successful and easy project. Cam.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 04:22:14 PM by KXcam22 »

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 04:21:21 PM »
4 rides and doesn't stink anymore. No melting that I can see.  Indestructible! Cam.

Offline kx666

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 03:31:38 PM »
i have a funny story about pipe gaurds. when i was wrenching at a  KTM dealer we would see a number of bikes come in with the cil. cracked from the stress on the gaurd beeing struck. so if you do build one dont make it too bullet proof :-)

but then again kawai's are a little stronger than a KTM
~steve

Emilio

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 07:07:50 AM »
I like that. :-D I never thought a fiberglass pipe protector would hold up. I guess I was wrong.  :|

Offline MadKaw

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 05:51:47 AM »
Cam, thought of making these to sell?
Deviate from the Norm!
Father!...The sleeper has Awaken!!!

2001 Harley Sportster xlh1200
'73 Suzuki GT550
'75 Suzuki GT550
'74 Kawasaki Z1 900
'79 Yamaha GT80
'93 KX500*******