Author Topic: My KX500 at "Track Day"  (Read 5408 times)

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
Re: My KX500 at "Track Day"
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 05:14:22 PM »
a flywheel wieght makes my KX500 pull traction "kinda" like a big thumper!!!!   Polar -Bus
I agree with you on that. When I first bought my used KX5 it was set up for desert riding with an above 45 y/o rider.  It had a Steahly 14oz flywheel weight on it.  That definately tamed the "two-Stroke" snap a bit and made the power more usable throughout the power band.  Works great for tight/technical riding since it gives that "four stroke" feel.

But in the sand... yuck!  Added weight is not good. You need the snap and power to get up on the sand, kinda like getting a boat up on plane in the water.  Also, you get more HP sooner so the hole shot is better in the sand.  My 12 y/o daughter runs a YFZ450 quad in the sand with a full Big Gun Race Exhaust, Cams, Rev Box, and Jetted perfect.  When I put a 4oz lighter balanced flywheel on it... Dang!  Awesome out of the hole power.  Down side is the motors will stall easier, but I have not noticed that at all.  I guess we are used to staying on the gas big time, unlike in the dirt where you get squirly if you are on the gas too much off the start.

Different schools of riding and bike set-ups.  Sorry if this is getting off the topic, but I thought I could give some "Sand Rider" input.

Sly
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 05:17:29 PM by FuriouSly »

Offline Polar-Bus

Re: My KX500 at "Track Day"
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2006, 09:37:37 PM »
Good input. Thanks for the "sand school"
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart