Author Topic: Gear oil leak  (Read 2469 times)

Offline GDubb

Gear oil leak
« on: July 18, 2006, 04:18:30 PM »
My bike has been sitting for months now, so I decided to pull it out of the garage and clean it up a little bit.  I noticed a little puddle of gear oil on the ground just under the front sprocket.  I looked it up on a parts diagram and it shows a collar and an o-ring behind the sprocket. Anybody had any dealings with this with any tips on how to deal with this and what all I will need?
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Re: Gear oil leak
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 05:13:19 PM »
Search the forums, I did a write up on fixing that about 3 years ago. Nevermind... here is the information

Pull the countershaft sprocket, slide the metal collar out and pop the little $6.00 seal out - might as well change it while you're in there. Look along the shaft and you will see a small o-ring. Slide it off the shaft and go to Home Depot and get one thats the same diameter, but it will be slightly thicker. Good news is it won't leak near as often and it's cheaper than a stock one.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 05:17:56 PM by Paul »

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 09:37:26 AM »
My bike has been sitting for months now, so I decided to pull it out of the garage and clean it up a little bit.  I noticed a little puddle of gear oil on the ground just under the front sprocket.  I looked it up on a parts diagram and it shows a collar and an o-ring behind the sprocket. Anybody had any dealings with this with any tips on how to deal with this and what all I will need?

Have a close look at the steel seal collar behind the sprocket. Kawasakis are prone to the seal grooving the collar, so even with a new rubber seal, it will still leak.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline GDubb

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 04:31:17 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it very much. I hope to have the time to ride again soon so I'm trying to get all the wrenching taken care of now so I dont have to worry about it then. Whenever "then" may be.

Thanks Again,
-G
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -