Author Topic: My Kickstart Hits My New Gnarly  (Read 3053 times)

Offline KXcam22

My Kickstart Hits My New Gnarly
« on: June 04, 2006, 04:08:02 PM »
The tip of my kickstart hit my new Gnarly pipe (yes I finally got one).  Whats the best fix?? Rotate, bend, pad?? Cam.

air

Re: My Kickstart Hits My New Gnarly
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 04:30:25 PM »
Take the allen bolt off that hold the kickstarter on and line it up different on the teeth. Prolly 1 tooth to the left should do it

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 01:55:31 AM »
Cam, I just learned to live with it. Because if you rotate it, you will lose the FULL kick. But, if you are in tip-top shape and can kick the heck out of the starter, you will have no issues rotating it. And congrats on the pipe!!! LOL

Offline Arigato

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 03:55:01 AM »
Rotate it one notch forward and you should still be able to get a full stroke.  If not, grind a bit off the tip where it hits.

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 05:30:55 AM »
Yo....   Definately, rotate one notch forward. You will actually have more than a full kick, but watch to see if it still hits the footpeg on the bottom of stroke.  Don't want to stress the kickshaft/spring.  Don't forget the locktite and torque.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 05:33:44 AM by FuriouSly »

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 09:32:37 AM »
Dude, I know what you are talking about. I have a Gnarly pipe also, and the tip of my kick lever is VERY close to hitting the body of the pipe. I also noticed the Gnarly pipe burned my side panel. I sanded some clearence around the side panel, so as to not touch the pipe.
                         Rich
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 04:25:43 PM »
Got my bike back together tonight. My kicker is very close to my gnarly pipe also. If you rotate to the left it will hit the pipe more. Mine fits perfect folds under just right. I'm going to post all and any pictures in the gallery. That way anybody that wants to know or see my pictures or tech stuff they won't have to search all night and day. I think you will have issuses if you put the kicker on any way but the way it came. If you go a notch forword (to the right) it will put the return spring in a major bind with a full kick to the stop. When you kick it winds the internal return spring. It will over wind if you go 1 notch foward. It will cause problems maybe not today or tomorrow but at sometime it will.
The side panel gets melted because the Gnarly pipe does not have the welded on bracket that the stock pipe has. That bracket has 2 rubber bumpers to hold the panel off the pipe. Mine has not melted but I am concerned it might. I will duplicate that bracket if it starts to melt the side panel. Only problem is welding on that pretty nickle plated pipe would look Gnarly pardon the pun.
Danger

Edit: I rode my bike down the dirt road last night just to run the dog.
No helmet or gear and my neighbor stopped me to talk.  I turned off the bike so I could hear him.  I found out the hard way just how close the kicker is to the FMF Gnarly pipe.  I burned the tips of my fingers because I was to lazy to grab my gloves.  One of those "I'm just going down to the end of the dirt road".  Didn't blister only made them tender for a few days.  You can see how the kicker fits perfect.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 06:13:39 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline 5dracing

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 12:40:21 AM »
Danger, don't weld on that pretty thing. Putthe protecxtion on the plastic instead or wrap the pipe with the heat tape stuff.
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 02:30:40 AM »
Danger, don't weld on that pretty thing. Putthe protecxtion on the plastic instead or wrap the pipe with the heat tape stuff.

Good suggestion, now that you mention it I have some of that 2" silver looking aluminum tape. I'll apply it to inside of the panel as you suggest. Thank's
Danger
KX 500 Rider