Author Topic: gearing chain length and massive rubber  (Read 2299 times)

ElliotG

gearing chain length and massive rubber
« on: September 22, 2004, 06:04:30 PM »
Well, I am leaving tomorrow for SandMountain.

I picked up my new sprokets, chain, and paddle

I have a 14 and a 15 tooth fronts, and a 47 rear.
114 Link chain. Will I be able to run either front with this chain length? And which ratio would you use?

Also, the rubber is a ChenShin 5.60 10 x 18. I am mounting the tire tomorrow, hoping that I won't have to make special allowances for the big tire, as far as chain length goes.

Thanks again!

Offline demographic

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 03:45:51 AM »
Check out the gearing spreadsheet in the Downloads section, should help you out a bit :)

DanH1

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 10:16:30 AM »
You will be able to run either gear with that chain.  Yes the tire will fit with no problems, it might rub the splash guard but no other interfierence. I would think that the 14/47 would be right on, it will pull better.
Why not take both gears and see which one is best for your riding area?
Dan

Offline Arigato

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 10:33:16 AM »
I have found that 14/49 works the best in sand.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: gearing chain length and massive rubber
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 07:54:18 AM »
I have found that 14/49 works the best in sand.

I found a set of wheels for my K5 and I'm setting them up for sand. Stock wheels 21" front and the 19" rear. I bought a 10 paddle rear and a front tire made for the sand. Both are Sand Snake MX. I'm going to buy a new chain and sprocket set. I will stay with the 14 tooth front sprocket.
My questions are:  Does the stock length chain fit the 49 tooth sprocket? Will I be able to use stock chain guide? Would you use o-ring or non-o-ring? What about going to a 50 tooth rear sprocket?
Thanks,
  Danger
KX 500 Rider

Offline Arigato

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 08:18:42 AM »
Go with a 50t. rear.  X-ring chain; it works with the stock chain guide and lasts very long.  When that tire wears out, get an 8 blade turbo paddle.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 08:52:39 AM »
The first time I went to the dunes I bought an 8 paddle tire and installed it on my stock rim but it did not seem to hook up well. I bought the new wheels because it's no fun for me to change the tire everytime I want to go to the dunes. The guys at House of Kawasaki (local dealership) said with the horse power of the K5 I should run the 10 paddle tire. I would think more paddles = more traction, yes/no? What is the difference X-ring vs. O-ring?  I don't know what an X-ring chain is. Is that brand name or type of chain? The X-ring that is. I know an O-ring is just that. O-rings on each pin and factory greased, O-ring keeps dirt out and grease in.
Thanks, Danger
KX 500 Rider