Author Topic: Rear suspension  (Read 2987 times)

air

Rear suspension
« on: June 01, 2006, 02:21:22 PM »
Well someone mentioned I forgot who that I should never bottom out the back of my bike so something in the suspension must be wrong in the rear well I checked out the sag article and decided to do some measurements Heres what I got.

Race Sag = 115 mm +/- a few mm
Static Sag = 40 mm +/- a few mm

From what I read I should be able to tell If I have the right spring rate for my bike just from the static sag how is this so a 100 pound guy would get the same measurement as a 500 pound guy.

Obviously something is not right in my suspension either way.

I dont have the tool that I need to adjust the collers on the rear shock but I dont know if this would even help me so Im seeking out to the fellow KXers for advice Hook it up!

Its a black spring in the back btw if that helps anything

« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 02:47:33 PM by Air »

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Re: Rear suspension
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 02:03:11 AM »
I'll look into it, what is your height and weight? Your best bet is to have a local suspension shop hook you up with some dampers and new springs. You will be amazed and wonder why it wasn't done eariler!

That was the first thing I did and wouldn't ride track without it.

air

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 11:34:56 AM »
Im 6' tall and 140 pounds prolly like 145 with all riding gear on and my backpack. Im not the kind to have others do work for me unless its super technical and requires lots of special tools.

kshackle

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 12:24:16 PM »
Well someone mentioned I forgot who that I should never bottom out the back of my bike so something in the suspension must be wrong in the rear well I checked out the sag article and decided to do some measurements Heres what I got.

Race Sag = 115 mm +/- a few mm
Static Sag = 40 mm +/- a few mm

From what I read I should be able to tell If I have the right spring rate for my bike just from the static sag how is this so a 100 pound guy would get the same measurement as a 500 pound guy.

The race sag will obviously take into account your weight, since you measure that while sitting on the bike. If you are too heavy for the spring, then your static sag will be too small....since you would have had to pre-load the spring too much in order to get the proper race sag.

I checked the stats, and your static/race sag seem OK, so the spring itself is probably not the issue. Perhaps you are bottoming out because the compression damping is too soft...also...the cartridge should be charged to 150 psi with nitrogen.

Obviously something is not right in my suspension either way.

I dont have the tool that I need to adjust the collers on the rear shock but I dont know if this would even help me so Im seeking out to the fellow KXers for advice Hook it up!

Its a black spring in the back btw if that helps anything