Author Topic: measurements ......  (Read 5659 times)

metallicarebal

measurements ......
« on: May 30, 2006, 04:54:46 PM »
I know this is going to sound pretty odd but I need to ask you K5 jockies a favor. I need a measurement from the bottom of a K5 frame in the front of the engine cradle to the fork where the pipe comes through in the front (right below the radiators). Here is what I need if this helps .....

Sorry for the s**tty pic, it was the best I could come up with in like 5 minutes. I would really appreciate it if one of you fellas would get me this measurement. Thanks a million.  8-)

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
Re: measurements ......
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 08:11:32 AM »
Metallicarebal,

The question is OK, your explanation (and the picture) is not.

Could you please be more specific?

//John

metallicarebal

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 06:02:07 PM »
Sorry for the horrible pic before, hopefully this will clear up any confusion, I only labeled the subframe and such to try and clarify it as much as possible. I need these measurements so that I can modify a rmz 450 chassis to hold a K5 powerplant, you see I need to know how much clearance I need where the pipe comes through the frame. I have not been able to find myself a motor yet or I could have found out how much clearance I needed on my own. I would be happy to hear any input or advice on this project .......... It's going to take some time but I will post a new topic for it eventually and update it as I go.

Lifes hard, ride hard

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 03:53:03 AM »
Met,
  Primo project!  I'm drooling!  Thats hard trying to mock it up without an engine. Any chance you could borrow one?  Be nice to set the motor mounts before you get too far into pipe clearances.  Cam.

metallicarebal

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 04:31:16 AM »
Yea It's going to be a long, expen$ive project to say the least. It sucks because about a year ago one of my riding buddies had a 93 K5 that was to die for, 560 big bore and everything, it looked like it just left the showroom floor in a timewarp. Well anyhow he ended up selling it from right under my nose without me even knowing it .......... for $1200.00  :oops: :cry:. And now I don't even know anyone with a K5 to borrow a motor for reference. Hell I would even take a blown motor just to size everything up right now. I'm keeping my eyes and ears peeled but the closest thing I've found yet was a 99 K5 motor on ebay, it was really nice but it sold for $920.00. A whole bike (96) sold on ebay for $900.00 a few months ago. O welllll, I'll keep you guys updated as I go. Thanx :-P

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 06:53:30 AM »
I'll be working on my bike tonight. Kick starter issue, internal. I have the pipe off and can also give the mesurement from top to center of exhaust hole. I'll take pictures and post them in my gallery album. Give me a few days.
Danger
KX 500 Rider

metallicarebal

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 09:53:09 AM »
Thanx man I appreceate it. Hopefully I can find myself a motor soon here and make things a lot easier :|.

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 01:47:04 PM »
Cant believe how inexpensive Quality machinery (KX500) is over in your hemisphere! :-o
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 04:50:58 PM »
Got your measurements tonight before I put my internal kick starter problems to rest. I will post pictures and measurements in the gallery under Danger4u2. It will be easy to check in gallery, that way it doesn't get buried in the posts. Double click on the pictures to see the measurement. Hope this helps.
Danger
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 05:39:31 PM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

metallicarebal

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 03:19:00 AM »
Thanx a million danger, that should put me in like flint. I have 2 check to see if I can get that much clearance, its a possibility that I'll need a smaller rad for the left side of the bike ........ I'll post an update as soon as I find out. Thanx again.  8-)

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 03:25:36 AM »
Keep us posted with pictures, I would like to see the outcome. Good luck.
Danger
KX 500 Rider

metallicarebal

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 11:18:00 AM »
Well, I checked the frame with the measurements and it looks like I'll be using a pair of K5 rads too.

The red line is where the fork in the frame has to come to for clearance of the pipe, as you can see the stock RMZ rads are just way too humungous, so I think I'm just gonna get a whole bike to take anything I need off of and then part the rest out. I'll have to get K5 rads and weld mounts onto the frame for them before I can go any further ....... So I guess I'll just put the whole thing on hold untill I get all the parts I need and then go at it. Thanx for all the help guys. I'll start a new thread when I get myself a K5 parts bike.

Offline Arigato

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 04:14:56 PM »
What if you used a ZipTy pipe?  Pro-Circuit made pipes for the Rocket Racing kit a few years ago, it was also a low-boy design.......Just throwin' stuff out there.  Good luck.

metallicarebal

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 04:36:54 AM »
No see, I need different rads regardless of the pipe I use. The pipe won't make it through the frame unless I bring that fork up higher so theres more length of frame consisting of two tubes instead of one. I'm not worried about the pipe clearing the rads, I'm worried about the frame clearing the rads when I raise that fork so that the pipe can come between those two tubes. I do plan on using the zipty pipe on it once i get that far though. Thanx for the input.